Quantcast

09 world cup

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
It's not UCI's fault. Whistler wants nothing to do with any UCI event.
It would not surprise me if Whistler would make less money hosting a World Cup than having just a normal weekend. Having to shut down trails for practice and so forth regular riders would not be riding during the World Cup.

I know this is a reason alot of US resorts do not want to bother hosting a World Cup. There is no economic advantage to it.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
whats the point for Whistler holding a world cup?

they already have all the top pros coming and they do it under their own rules

plus they dont have to deal with the UCI bullsh!t

its not like their going to gain anything by making crankworx a UCI world cup event

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
they were approached after angle fire cancelled theirs, the CCA wanted them to host, and they entertained the idea, but it woudl've fallen the weekend after crankworx, which was also a long holiday weekend.......the story I got from close to the source people was they couldn't deliver accomodation requirements and were looking for some concessions from the UCI (datewise, whistler wanted the races during the week) that they didn't get.........it's true though, we probably don't need to host a world cup, but there is certainly widespread support and eagerness for it in the riding community.......and I think to a large degree, they like being able to host their own events, that satisfy their 'marketing' needs while being fairly unique, and without having to put up any guarentees....makes sense to me....

Motoking16

Monkey
May 16, 2005
Bend, OR
It would not surprise me if Whistler would make less money hosting a World Cup than having just a normal weekend. Having to shut down trails for practice and so forth regular riders would not be riding during the World Cup.

I know this is a reason alot of US resorts do not want to bother hosting a World Cup. There is no economic advantage to it.
Good point, I cannot believe I over looked that reason. I guess all this International Economics I am studying is getting me to miss the basics... Final in 10 minutes, lame...