Quantcast

0o0o0 sUNDAY o0o0o

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Yo!

Up way earlier than planned, and didn't really have a good reason to dick around, so I'm now at the riding spot a half hour early.

Guess I'll wrench on my bike and try to remedy the fickle gravity dropper.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Heading out for 6 miles hike on some semi maintained trails to a fall. Hope to not get lost.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Wanted to mow the lawn but discovered it is full of small toads. I guess it will have to wait until these little fellas have found spots to hide. :-)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Wife is exercising at the moment. Had some tickle time with the baby. Going to ride once wife is done. Matsuhisa takeout for dinner today is :monocle:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. Even though the stone didn't get mounted yesterday, I'm going to put up the TV bracket and mount the TV. It's in a nook that will not be getting stone and Wifey really wants her TV, even if it's only for casting. I'm pulling up the paper for everything but the remaining work areas today and continuing to work on baseboards and painting doors today. A lot of the baseboards I have left are <4" (hand mitre), stairs (angles change and are breaking my brain), and funky 3-piece corners because of rounded corners on the wall. Wifey painted the baseboards before I had a chance to (more thought to) go back and sand the filler, so if you look straight at therm you can see some of the rough spots around the fills. Oh well, shit happens. If I clear that stuff before dinner time, I'll try to install the relay into the ceiling fan and get that working too.

Bike question:
I have a buddy who had an old LX/XT grade FSR Turner 5-spot that recently got stolen. He's given up on getting it back and is looking at getting a new bike. He lives in Chicago and doesn't have any "real" trails that need an aggressive bike - more a fun trail bike. He's relatively tight budget and it looking at base model YT, Nukeproof, and Canyon's. All around $2500-2700 and even then, that's pushing his budget. He's not a mechanic, so he's hesitant to buy a used bike because he doesn't necessarily know what he might be walking into, hence the new bike. Plus he's just a little shorter than me (6'1-6'2" vs 6'3"-6'4").

I still have my old Yeti SB66c that I never sold from when I bought the Nukeproof and have been too lazy to put the effort into doing such. It's a spec that I would ride (XT/X9, Pike, 2 shocks, spare rear triangle, etc) and in generally good condition with a relatively new build. It's seen a hard life, but I wouldn't necessarily have concerns about selling it to him, especially as a close friend. I'd give it to him for $1000, so way less that the new bike, which would allow him to get saddle and stem to fit him better. My big concern is that it's 26" and "old" geometry that are old standards which will not be getting revived. The only issue I can see is that he will need to limit the travel (rise) on the dropper post, as it's all the way down in the frame and will be too tall at full extension (suggestions? KS Lev).

I think it might be more than he needs, but the SB pedals so damn well and is reasonably light it's less of an issue, imho. Thoughts?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Rode the SS around yesterday. Wtf was I thinking.
Slept in, coffee and a casual ride, grilling later.
@stoney I have a 125mm KS dropper if your buddy wants the sb. Either way, for that price he could make the bike work.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I ran 15.5 miles this morning and tried to start early to avoid the hot humidity but I was not early enough. Tough conditions for running but I did ok (7:13 avg pace). I could have done more but that was enough for today. I'll take the road bike out later if a nap doesn't derail me. But first, pancakes!!!

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Happy fathers day to all the dads out there.

Slept in, had a couple of coffees, croissant, thick-cut bacon and egg for breakfast. My wife took the kids to visit her mom yesterday (while I did my annual fathers day ride), and decided to stay the night. It's nice to sleep in and have a quiet morning, but doing fathers day morning alone at home is kind of lame.

ride yesterday was memorable. this is the 15th annual fathers day get together with my buddies. for the past 12 years, we've gone to a buddy's condo at a ski hill/trail centre but this year a) he sold it because he's building a new place at the top of the hill, and b) because of Covid we wouldn't have been able to spend the night. we rode a new trail at the ski hill. It's freakin' awesome (@Jozz, @canadmos: the new "lower boneshaker" at Mont Ste Marie). It's ridiculously good. All slabs and drops up top, then lots of tight linked berms in a pretty steep fall line lower down. It finishes at the lake, which was packed.

it was hot as hell, 94 freedoms with humidity, so the climbs were brutal. But the views from the top are pretty good I guess:
1592749567835.png

lower boneshaker slabs:
1592749613226.png

1592749639042.png

unfortunately, one of my buddies knocked himself out cold on one the features (a janky lilly pad gap)
1592749722693.png

but the lake at the end helped him recover:
1592749758425.png

followed by beer and bbq at the site of my buddy's new cottage:
1592749817899.png

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Got 1/4 way into my ride when a large butt slug announced its intentions to join this world. Stayed seated for the majority of the ride to defend the gates.

Succeeded and made it to thr house for home field advantage. Gotta love when a plan comes together.

Here. Even though the stone didn't get mounted yesterday, I'm going to put up the TV bracket and mount the TV. It's in a nook that will not be getting stone and Wifey really wants her TV, even if it's only for casting. I'm pulling up the paper for everything but the remaining work areas today and continuing to work on baseboards and painting doors today. A lot of the baseboards I have left are <4" (hand mitre), stairs (angles change and are breaking my brain), and funky 3-piece corners because of rounded corners on the wall. Wifey painted the baseboards before I had a chance to (more thought to) go back and sand the filler, so if you look straight at therm you can see some of the rough spots around the fills. Oh well, shit happens. If I clear that stuff before dinner time, I'll try to install the relay into the ceiling fan and get that working too.

Bike question:
I have a buddy who had an old LX/XT grade FSR Turner 5-spot that recently got stolen. He's given up on getting it back and is looking at getting a new bike. He lives in Chicago and doesn't have any "real" trails that need an aggressive bike - more a fun trail bike. He's relatively tight budget and it looking at base model YT, Nukeproof, and Canyon's. All around $2500-2700 and even then, that's pushing his budget. He's not a mechanic, so he's hesitant to buy a used bike because he doesn't necessarily know what he might be walking into, hence the new bike. Plus he's just a little shorter than me (6'1-6'2" vs 6'3"-6'4").

I still have my old Yeti SB66c that I never sold from when I bought the Nukeproof and have been too lazy to put the effort into doing such. It's a spec that I would ride (XT/X9, Pike, 2 shocks, spare rear triangle, etc) and in generally good condition with a relatively new build. It's seen a hard life, but I wouldn't necessarily have concerns about selling it to him, especially as a close friend. I'd give it to him for $1000, so way less that the new bike, which would allow him to get saddle and stem to fit him better. My big concern is that it's 26" and "old" geometry that are old standards which will not be getting revived. The only issue I can see is that he will need to limit the travel (rise) on the dropper post, as it's all the way down in the frame and will be too tall at full extension (suggestions? KS Lev).

I think it might be more than he needs, but the SB pedals so damn well and is reasonably light it's less of an issue, imho. Thoughts?
Sounds like a no brainer to me. Good price for a solid bike, outdated standards be damned. Not like it will hold him up at all, and he can get back out on the trail.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Thunderstorms seemed to have moved out of the forecast thankfully and the sun has come out. Sitting on the deck with espresso #2. Think I'm gonna grill burgers for lunch, and homemade pizza for dinner. Hot tub at some point in there too.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Did absolutely nothing productive yesterday.
Floated in lake all day tanking beers.
Ruined the kids on some tubing sessions in return for them fetching the beverages all day.

Back in MA so beach then grilling at in laws tonight.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Was tired from yesterday I guess. My plan was to get up early and go ride before the outside furnace kicked on. Slept in until 8am already getting hot. guess I better start on cleaning out the camper and getting it ready for Ruth to head out on Thursday instead then head to the office to file last weeks paperwork

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
we rode a new trail at the ski hill. It's freakin' awesome (@Jozz, @canadmos: the new "lower boneshaker" at Mont Ste Marie). It's ridiculously good. All slabs and drops up top, then lots of tight linked berms in a pretty steep fall line lower down. It finishes at the lake, which was packed.
Will try to check it out in the next 10 days. Thanks for the review. ;)

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Happy fathers day to all the dads out there.

Slept in, had a couple of coffees, croissant, thick-cut bacon and egg for breakfast. My wife took the kids to visit her mom yesterday (while I did my annual fathers day ride), and decided to stay the night. It's nice to sleep in and have a quiet morning, but doing fathers day morning alone at home is kind of lame.

ride yesterday was memorable. this is the 15th annual fathers day get together with my buddies. for the past 12 years, we've gone to a buddy's condo at a ski hill/trail centre but this year a) he sold it because he's building a new place at the top of the hill, and b) because of Covid we wouldn't have been able to spend the night. we rode a new trail at the ski hill. It's freakin' awesome (@Jozz, @canadmos: the new "lower boneshaker" at Mont Ste Marie). It's ridiculously good. All slabs and drops up top, then lots of tight linked berms in a pretty steep fall line lower down. It finishes at the lake, which was packed.

it was hot as hell, 94 freedoms with humidity, so the climbs were brutal. But the views from the top are pretty good I guess:
View attachment 146690

lower boneshaker slabs:
View attachment 146691

View attachment 146692

unfortunately, one of my buddies knocked himself out cold on one the features (a janky lilly pad gap)
View attachment 146693

but the lake at the end helped him recover:
View attachment 146694

followed by beer and bbq at the site of my buddy's new cottage:
View attachment 146695
Sweet!

Haven't been there yet but always read good things. Few buddies are at MSS right now. I think they might have tried to find @Jozz 's spot this morning, but not sure if they were successful.

Quebec has so many spots I want to check out.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Sweet!

Haven't been there yet but always read good things. Few buddies are at MSS right now. I think they might have tried to find @Jozz 's spot this morning, but not sure if they were successful.

Quebec has so many spots I want to check out.
If they need direction to trailhead let me know.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
xray or STFU!

seriously, how did it happen?
Not super obvious to me but the ER doc looked at it for seriously like 5 seconds and said, ‘yup, you broke your collarbone’.

I can definitely feel it moving around a little and hurts like a mofo.

I was at Snow Summit. Couple teenagers dropped in ahead of us, all kitted up. Gave them a min or so. Then dropped in to the run. One of them crashed on the back side of of a jump. His buddy ran up the back of the landing right as I was taking off. Tapping a little panic brake going off the lip is not the ideal situation. Hit the ground pretty hard on my shoulder. Went to first aid, they weren’t sure. Got cleaned up at my buddies house and drove to Kaiser by my house. It was Friday. They gave me some Tylenol with Codeine, a sling and a pat on the ass out the door.

The jump pic is like two years old. Thats me in the frame. Same takeoff on the right literally as the dude comes up the backside of the landing. Couldn’t see either of them at first.

124562E3-5A87-44D6-A1F4-00C657E1C861.jpeg

C1973B7A-A455-4B70-968F-001CACA8129B.jpeg

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Foolishly tried to ride the local trails on a Sunday leaving our house at 10:30AM (trailhead is 2minutes away on dirt)

Way too many hikers, maybe 10% actually wearing masks. IHP.

@Nick Loam lever works great, thank you.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Went on a ride with a friend. On a double track in the forest the dirt was looking alive, we stopped and realized: small toads everywhere, thousands!!!! We shouldered our bikes and tiptoed (or is it tiptoad?) out.

IMG_0666.jpg

BTW: picture is number 666 on my phone. :D

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
If they need direction to trailhead let me know.
They rode this area before going to MSS today..

Parc Freeride 40/80 on Trailforks

Apparently a friendly local towed them up with their car a few times.

Need to get out there to check out these spots and your unmarked one. I wish we had that type of riding around here.

We dont have much of any sustained DH type stuff around here, bar a few trails. This one we did today is probably the longest and while not technical, is just steep top to bottom.

The climb out SUCKS. Much better via shuttle.