Quantcast

1-1/2 fork or 1-1/8 with spacers... stability?

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
I have a new bike with the 1.5 inch headset. The Manitou Travis fork is a single crown. I'm buying a dual crown Manitou Travis fork, but the dual crown is made with a 1 and 1/8 inch steer tube.

In order to use the dual crown fork, I'm going to have to buy a different headset and use something I keep hearing as to spacers to adapt the fork to the 1.5 inch frame opening.

Will the 1 and 1/8th fork work well in the 1.5 hole with these spacers or will it not be stable for some reason?

Manitou makes the Travis in a 1 and 1/8. There is no word as to whether they intend to make the 2008 Travis in a 1.5 steer tube. So fare I have heard no. In fact the fork won't be available till after January some time.

Any input?

RaID

Turbo Monkey
No issues with using e13 spacers to reduce the 1.5 headtube
to 1.125

If your really worried about it you could get a reducer headset
1.5->1.125 that doesnt use spacers

Manitou wont make a 1.5 steerer version of their DC forks since there is no need

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
...Manitou wont make a 1.5 steerer version of their DC forks since there is no need
No need? Huh? Last I heard, all the major bike manufacs have gone or are going to a 1.5 on their new models because it's stronger. Don't get that one? :confused:

Especially after I read this on one of the links given above.

A standard established by industry members who recognized use of oversize diameters based on a 1.5" steerer tube for forks and the interfacing of other front end frame components would provide for a dramatic increase in performance, strength and durability of bicycles built for long travel forks and extreme use. Increasing the steerer tube diameter dramaticly increases both stiffness and strength with minimal weight gains. Depending on each fork makers final design, with similar weight steerer tubes it is possible to increased strength by 44% and stiffness by 134%.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
No need? Huh? Last I heard, all the major bike manufacs have gone or are going to a 1.5 on their new models because it's stronger. Don't get that one? :confused:

A standard established by industry members who recognized use of oversize diameters based on a 1.5" steerer tube for forks and the interfacing of other front end frame components would provide for a dramatic increase in performance, strength and durability of bicycles built for long travel forks and extreme use. Increasing the steerer tube diameter dramaticly increases both stiffness and strength with minimal weight gains. Depending on each fork makers final design, with similar weight steerer tubes it is possible to increased strength by 44% and stiffness by 134%.

What you have quoted is in relation to a single crown fork. In this case, the steer tube takes all the force that is generated by the fork as a big lever.

A double crown fork has two stanchions that are parallel to the steer tube and share that force. Many motorcycles (much higher forces) use a very small diameter 'steer tube'. The maverick fork does not use a 'steer tube' IIRC rather just a long bolt to cinch the headest bearing.

RaID

Turbo Monkey

what DaveP said, all that data applies only to single crown forks, not to double crown forks which was I was highlighting

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
what DaveP said, all that data applies only to single crown forks, not to double crown forks which was I was highlighting
OOOOOooooh! Okay guys, now I get ya. So a 1.125 would be fine. Now I see. Now there is a Cane Creek Double X head set that came with the bike. That's going to come off and I'm going to have to sell it new on Ebay for a loss. I don't even know what it costs new yet.
My bike shop feels the Cane Creek low profile headset that reduces down to 1.125 would be better than the E13 cups. I need more input on the E13 cups. Why would he think the cups are not as good an idea? To me, I'd figure the cups are cheaper in price... if not, I'm going new headset. I prefer Chris King headset to Cane Creek just because I have one. Does Chris King make a 1.5 to 1.125 reducer headset like the Cane Creek link mentioned above?

Any input is appreciated. Chime in!:clapping:

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
If you go with the e-13 cups, you will still need a headset. The e-13 'adapts' any 'IS' standard headset like the cane creek IS 2 or IS 6, or an FSA headset like the orbit IS to a 1.5" head tube.

The e-13 cups work just as well (or better) than anything else out there, not sure what or where your shop got that.