Quantcast

1.5 headset doesnt fit in 1.5 headtube

drift1492

Chimp
Mar 19, 2002
I just got an 03 Iron Horse Sinister hardtail frame. It is supposed to be a 1.5 standard heatube. My 1.5 steerer tube looks like it fits fine, but my FSA Big fat Pig 1.5 headset's cups are too big? Also, the headtube has a taper on the inside. Do i need some sort of integrated 1.5 headset? Or is this "one-point-five" headtube not 1.5 compatible? This is frustrating. :mad:

Here's a link to the frame:

http://www.socalmtb.com/socal/messages/messages/128214.htm

Thanks guys

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
it's hard to tell from those pictures but it sure looks like a 1.5 headtube. You know that headsets need to be pressed in, it's not like you can slip them in by hand unless the headtube is wanked. I'd take it to a shop to get the headset installed, or search for headset installation for more detailed instructions on how to do it yourself.

Maybe another picture with the headset next to the headtube would explain more.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Originally posted by Kornphlake
it's hard to tell from those pictures but it sure looks like a 1.5 headtube. You know that headsets need to be pressed in, it's not like you can slip them in by hand unless the headtube is wanked. I'd take it to a shop to get the headset installed, or search for headset installation for more detailed instructions on how to do it yourself.

Maybe another picture with the headset next to the headtube would explain more.
:stupid:

FormatX

Chimp
Feb 20, 2004
LINY... Strong-I
Originally posted by drift1492
I just got an 03 Iron Horse Sinister hardtail frame. It is supposed to be a 1.5 standard heatube. My 1.5 steerer tube looks like it fits fine, but my FSA Big fat Pig 1.5 headset's cups are too big? Also, the headtube has a taper on the inside. Do i need some sort of integrated 1.5 headset? Or is this "one-point-five" headtube not 1.5 compatible? This is frustrating. :mad:

Here's a link to the frame:

http://www.socalmtb.com/socal/messages/messages/128214.htm

Thanks guys
The headtube on a sinister is NOT 1.5 it is 1-1/8 zerostack. that is why the BFP is not working. the sinister should have come with a headset attached to the frame.(i can see the headset in your pictures)
if you have any question on the frame please E-mail me
Brucem@ironhorsebikes.com

Bruce
Customerservice and warranty IHBC

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
yeah looks like headset is attached to seat tube in first pic...sucks, you already have headset and fork?

drift1492

Chimp
Mar 19, 2002
I just bought the frame on Ebay brand new. The picture is not of the frame I bought though. I bought this frame believing that the headtube was a "one-point-five". Even already had a Sherman Breakout ready to go on it today. However, apparently the place i got it from took the headset and the post clamp.

Here is the link to the auction of a similar frame from the same guy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=22679&item=3672188669&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Notice how he states this is a 1.5 headtube. Apparently I have been tricked, whether on purpose or not this is quite frustrating as I already have purchased the fork and headset.

I guess I'll email the guy asking him to change his description and consider this a learning experience. :(

Thanks

Dustin

OH YEAH......Anyone want a Breakout....ha ha:(

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Originally posted by Dirty
yeah looks like headset is attached to seat tube in first pic...sucks, you already have headset and fork?
yea, it sure does suck when you win a frame and have to go get different parts to make it work....

Aside from the cnc'd yoke at the bb and differnt headtube, it looks just like my K2 brass monkey frame, same dropouts for sure, same looking DT,......

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
I just bought the frame on Ebay brand new. The picture is not of the frame I bought though. I bought this frame believing that the headtube was a "one-point-five". Even already had a Sherman Breakout ready to go on it today. However, apparently the place i got it from took the headset and the post clamp.

Here is the link to the auction of a similar frame from the same guy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=22679&item=3672188669&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Notice how he states this is a 1.5 headtube. Apparently I have been tricked, whether on purpose or not this is quite frustrating as I already have purchased the fork and headset.

I guess I'll email the guy asking him to change his description and consider this a learning experience. :(

Thanks

Dustin

OH YEAH......Anyone want a Breakout....ha ha:(
Oh, i see now. Go back and be sure to leave him bad feedback. Or even ask for your $$ back since he misrepresented the product.

drift1492

Chimp
Mar 19, 2002
Originally posted by oly
yea, it sure does suck when you win a frame and have to go get different parts to make it work....

Aside from the cnc'd yoke at the bb and differnt headtube, it looks just like my K2 brass monkey frame, same dropouts for sure, same looking DT,......
I didnt win the frame I bought it....Just posted that link up top for a picture reference.

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
think he meant win like win the auction....?

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
I didnt win the frame I bought it....Just posted that link up top for a picture reference.
i believe what oly meant was you won the e-bay auction, in a sense winning the frame. just a lil clarification

drift1492

Chimp
Mar 19, 2002
Originally posted by oly
Oh, i see now. Go back and be sure to leave him bad feedback. Or even ask for your $$ back since he misrepresented the product.
Ha ha, beat me to it.

I really cant leave bad feedback. If I do im sure he will retaliate and I dont want to ruin my perfect feedback record 72-0. Thats one bad thing about ebay's feedback system.

Also, I cant afford to get any other frame with a 1.5 headtube, so instead of returning the frame I gotta sell my breakout. What a bummer.

Edit* Anyone know of a 1.5 headtube hardtail that isnt too expensive? Ive been thinkin about the 03 iron horse stout. I would really like to stick with Iron Horse after seeing this frame, but I doubt there are any Stouts left. The quality is top-notch on the sinister. Especially for what I paid for it.

FormatX

Chimp
Feb 20, 2004
LINY... Strong-I
Ha ha, beat me to it.

I really cant leave bad feedback. If I do im sure he will retaliate and I dont want to ruin my perfect feedback record 72-0. Thats one bad thing about ebay's feedback system.

Also, I cant afford to get any other frame with a 1.5 headtube, so instead of returning the frame I gotta sell my breakout. What a bummer.

Edit* Anyone know of a 1.5 headtube hardtail that isnt too expensive? Ive been thinkin about the 03 iron horse stout. I would really like to stick with Iron Horse after seeing this frame, but I doubt there are any Stouts left. The quality is top-notch on the sinister. Especially for what I paid for it.
You can also call manitou and see about just getting a set of uppers. would save you a whole lot of loot.. I know thoes breakout arent cheap.

drift1492

Chimp
Mar 19, 2002
Originally posted by stoney98
dude, don't give in that easily. He misrepresented the product. Tell him he needs to refund you the cost of the frame + shipping one way (at least) because HE mis-represented the product.

If not, make sure your ebay complaint is thorough in explaining that. anyways, w/ 72 good reviews, and one bad due to a bad seller, you're seller rating is awesome.
Yeah, I know. Worst case senerio, I have to return the frame, and I believe he had quite a lot of good feedback as well; So I think he would be willing to help. For now, I think I will let him know that he misrepresented the frame and then ask if I can hold it for a couple days until I figure out what I need to do. Most people are pretty reasonable if you give them a chance. I'll let you guys know what happens.

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
what a bummer...those look like great frames...look for an Evil on ebay or on other slae forums...they arn't to $$ and have a 1.5 headtube. and so do Nicolia but they are way more $$.

hope all works out for you
kai-

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Originally posted by stoney98
dude, don't give in that easily. He misrepresented the product. Tell him he needs to refund you the cost of the frame + shipping one way (at least) because HE mis-represented the product.

If not, make sure your ebay complaint is thorough in explaining that. anyways, w/ 72 good reviews, and one bad due to a bad seller, you're seller rating is awesome.
That's what I would do....I had a similar issue where I paid but never received the frame...I left a neg and so did the lying seller...but I now have 94 feedback and 1 negative...doesn't affect my sales at all.....it's near impossible to maintain pefect feedback on Ebay unless you're willing to lose money....D

Ifelloffabike

Monkey
Apr 14, 2003
Strong Island Ny

im pretty sure they never produced the stout.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Someone else said that the pics look like 1.5. They do, until you look closer and see that they have all been compressed verticley. The one with the beer bottle is the most obvious. Was it an intentional misslead? Who knows.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Repack may be on to something.

Screw your ebay feedback, if he misled you, he misled you. If you give him a negative feedback and justify your complaint, then if he gives you a negative feedback, fight it... don't give in, demand refund at the very minimum, and kick up a stink about it.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
"91 years combined bicycle knowledge!

We have worked in the bicycle industry for over 91 years as a group...this time and the knowledge gained help us give you the best service and some really great deals on your cycling needs!"

91yrs and they **** up something as obvious is this? i'd demand a refund. espeically since the add says "set up for the 1.5 headsets."

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Originally posted by FormatX
The headtube on a sinister is NOT 1.5 it is 1-1/8 zerostack. that is why the BFP is not working. the sinister should have come with a headset attached to the frame.(i can see the headset in your pictures)
if you have any question on the frame please E-mail me
Brucem@ironhorsebikes.com

Bruce
Customerservice and warranty IHBC

I know you work for Ironhorse, but you are sure that there was NO Sinister with a 1.5? I visited the shop that sold drift1492 the frame and I vaguely remember the guy I spoke to saying the 1.5 frame came from a complete bike. I saw one of the frames in person and while I didn't measure to verify, it sure as hell looked like a 1.5 headtube to me. I also remember the guy saying that he had some frames in a 1 1/8, these I believe he said he received as frame only.

Drift1492, have you measured the headtube yet?

FormatX

Chimp
Feb 20, 2004
LINY... Strong-I
Originally posted by Salami
I know you work for Ironhorse, but you are sure that there was NO Sinister with a 1.5? I visited the shop that sold drift1492 the frame and I vaguely remember the guy I spoke to saying the 1.5 frame came from a complete bike. I saw one of the frames in person and while I didn't measure to verify, it sure as hell looked like a 1.5 headtube to me. I also remember the guy saying that he had some frames in a 1 1/8, these I believe he said he received as frame only.

Drift1492, have you measured the headtube yet?
It looks like a 1.5 because it is a zero stack. the cup recess into the frame so the head tube itself needs to be larger. but it will not take a 1.5 fork.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Originally posted by FormatX
It looks like a 1.5 because it is a zero stack. the cup recess into the frame so the head tube itself needs to be larger. but it will not take a 1.5 fork.
Was there a non-Zero Stack Sinister? The guy showed me two frames that had different head tubes.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Originally posted by the Inbred
"91 years combined bicycle knowledge!

We have worked in the bicycle industry for over 91 years as a group...this time and the knowledge gained help us give you the best service and some really great deals on your cycling needs!"

91yrs and they **** up something as obvious is this? i'd demand a refund. espeically since the add says "set up for the 1.5 headsets."
Well I was in a shop yesterday looking at a bike from a distance and I asked the guy if the bike had a 1.5 headset... He didn't have the foggiest idea what I was talking about so he replied... "yeah it's got pretty much all high end stuff." Come to think of it it was a zero stack headset so the head tube did look bigger.

Anyways you should at least contact the seller and let them know they messed up the description and find out if he's even willing to give a refund.

Mattoid

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
Charlottesville, Virginia
Ive seen a woodman frame with a 1.5" headtube, i recal them being reasonably priced. However im not sure if you can get them in the US. Also Identi makes a biek called the 666 that has a 1.5 headtube option. I know that unrealcycles.com has the identi for $285. whether that includes the 1.5 option or not i dont know. But i would DEFINATLY get that frame refunded, especially since you bought that fork, heck, the 1.5 headtube is why you bought it right??

You can find info about the 666 here... its kind of a funky lil' frame but for the price it looks pretty dang nice.
http://www.identitibikes.com/identitibikes/index.html

FormatX

Chimp
Feb 20, 2004
LINY... Strong-I
Originally posted by Salami
Was there a non-Zero Stack Sinister? The guy showed me two frames that had different head tubes.
I dont know what he showed you but the sinister only cam with one headtube. He might have shown the stout that was in the 2003 catalog that had a 1.5 but that never went into production.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
Originally posted by Repack
Someone else said that the pics look like 1.5. They do, until you look closer and see that they have all been compressed verticley. The one with the beer bottle is the most obvious. Was it an intentional misslead? Who knows.
Looks more like the forum is imposing a max size on linked pictures to me.
The actual picture with hte beer bottle.
http://members.cox.net/cleanclean1/Frame3.JPG