Quantcast

1.5 HT + reducers = stronger HT?

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
dw said:
External bearing BB's are not all they are cracked up to be BTW, they will be phased out in favor of cartridge BBs. You heard it here first.

Dave
Can you give us more info on that?

Also whilst on an head set reducer thread how do you remove the bearings from an E-13 zero stack reducer? My rocket tool cant grab them

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
kidwoo said:
What's a mudstorm? That sounds scary.

Please don't feel the need to justify chris king headsets to me.
CK = Greatest bicycle product of all time.

_______

Mudstorm - just a term for riding in mud.....the kind of conditions where mud get stuffed in every knook and cranny on the bike and the you go take a shower and its running out your a$$ crack and the next morning your blowing it out your nose.....

...Or.......

the kind of condtions where lesser headsets last one weekend and you throw them in the trash can....Triflow isnt going to fix anything once mud gets in there and grinds around.........

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Cant Climb said:
CK = Greatest bicycle product of all time.

_______

Mudstorm - just a term for riding in mud.....the kind of conditions where mud get stuffed in every knook and cranny on the bike and the you go take a shower and its running out your a$$ crack and the next morning your blowing it out your nose.....
Or you could have shortened up that paragraph by saying,

"a typical race on the east coast.":)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Cant Climb said:
Back in the day an ovalized headtube was just something that happened when a bike got to be a year or two old......but i still go to tons of races and meet tons of people and i just dont see it anymore.....why is this if 1 1/8's are getting stressed more with longer A/C/s.....?.....do headsets fit better/tighter.....?......something seems to have changed.....
IMHO, it's simple. Manufacturers are recognizing the stresses that are placed on the bikes, and are building them accordingly. Nobody ever said you couldn't make a strong 1 1/8" headtube, and for sure, 1 1/8" headtubes have gotten stronger in recent years.

However, the manufacturers are making a strong part within the limitations of a standard (and the materials they have to work with). If there's a better way to do it, by creating a new standard, well, why not do that instead? You can't just do it willy-nilly, of course, but if there's a well established industry problem that a new standard can fix... it seems like an IQ test. Do you stubbornly plod along with the old standard because people don't like to change? Or do you create a new standard that can easily be made backwards compatible with existing parts?

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
binary visions said:
Do you stubbornly plod along with the old standard because people don't like to change? Or do you create a new standard that can easily be made backwards compatible with existing parts?
We're still plodding.....?........not so sure, it seems the problem has been fixxed using the exsisting standard.

1.5 is better, no question.........but to me, a guy who just knows alot of riders and racers.....i don't see 1 1/8 as problem anymore. Wer'e plodding on into other things like trying to perfect the best tubeless system.....or best drivetrain......

meatboot

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Chapel Hell
dw said:
In addition to Manitou, Rock Shox and Marzocchi will offer 1.5 forks for the 2007 model year.
Did no one else find this worthy of comment, or am I just OTB?

Edited to emphasize that I'm not that OTB.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Cant Climb said:
We're still plodding.....?........not so sure, it seems the problem has been fixxed using the exsisting standard.

1.5 is better, no question.........but to me, a guy who just knows alot of riders and racers.....i don't see 1 1/8 as problem anymore. Wer'e plodding on into other things like trying to perfect the best tubeless system.....or best drivetrain......
If 1 1/8" works for you, then great - use it. I don't see why anyone would fight this new standard, though. Fact: headtubes ovalize. Fact: 1.5 makes headtubes a hell of a lot stronger and less likely to ovalize (along with the other myriad of smaller benefits).

If 1.5 is backwards compatible with all 1 1/8" forks, why would anyone even look twice at it? Either you want 1.5 on your next bike, or you don't need it. If you want it on your next bike, buy a bike that's available with a 1.5 headtube. If you don't need it, buy any bike you want, because a 1.5 headtube is compatible with every fork and headset on the market. Including the Cannondale Lefty parts.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
meatboot said:
[JEDIMINDTRICK]These are not the droids you are looking for.[/JEDIMINDTRICK]

-ska todd

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
meatboot said:

Edited to emphasize that I'm not that OTB.
i noticed it.... Wonder if that means Bryson stepped down at the big M? I recall how anti 1.5 he was....