Quantcast

1.5 inch DC forks

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
Are there ever going to be, or has anyone heard of 1.5 inch headtube dual crown forks? I keep hearing 1.5 referred to as "the new standard", but have yet to see anything other than Manitou using it for their Shermans Breakouts.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I want to say it's the "new standard" for single crown forks (or atleast a idea) that frame makers are taking. The size of a regular head tube vs. a 1.5" is a good difference. I dunno when a dual crown fork will be made with a 1.5" steer tube. As long as the forks hold up with the normal fork steer's it probably won't happen for a while.

That's my guess atleast, it's a good question though :)

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
personally-id like to see more FORK manufacturers look into the 1.5 standard...there are plenty of frames and only 1 single crown fork

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Won't happen. 1.5 is designed for long travel single crowns. DC forks get a lot of thier strength from the stancions so they don't need a 1.5 steerer.
DH frame manufactures have adopted the 1.5 headtube because it gives them more weld area and a stronger HT/DT/TT junction.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
1.5 exists so we can have a stronger interface and not ovalize our head tubes, so it makes for a much stronger head tube.

Manitou uses the 1.5 to make a long travel single crown.

These are two different reasons, but none of them have anything to do with DC forks, and there is not going to be any substancial benefit to using it with DC forks. Look at the maverick or avalanche DC forks, they don't even have a steerer tube.