Quantcast

1.5" to 1.125" reducer headsets

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
What are the options, only ones I've seen are Chris King Devolution , and the Cane Creek Double Xc flush.

http://chrisking.com/headsets/hds_devo (250g)
http://www.canecreek.com/double-xc-flush-headset.html (189g)

Given that my Crank Bros opium 1.125" headset weighs 66g (85 or something inc topcap&sfn etc) these weights are a little upsetting, but maybe unavoidable.

Are there any other options out there, lighter or otherwise?

What about using separate reducer cups with the headset of my choice - I'm not a fan of the idea (more interfaces to creak/wear out) but open to it.

http://www.e13components.com/product_zerostack.html (no mention of weight :()

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
OK, now seen that Hope do a 140g one, and sunline a 155g one. Both including sfn etc. Much more reasonable. Shame neither are zero-stack though, something which should be pretty easy with a 1.5" reducer headset surely?

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I was going to say sunline but it looks like they no longer do headsets. If you can find one somewhere I am sure it will be a closeout.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
FSA makes a couple as well, Big fat pigR and another that costs more, but it alot lighter.

I use the BFPr for my bike, I know its heavy, but its beefy and I know its not going to fail.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Cheers JV, but as that includes no topcap etc I think it will work out slightly heavier than the Hope, and is a more complicated solution, no? Plus I can't find where to buy those bearings, or do I buy a full headset and then only use bits of it?

Supa8

Monkey
May 3, 2002
Middle of MA
Do you want a flush mount headset or a traditional stack height headset? Cane Creek double XC R is nice as you can order the additional parts to convert back and forth to a 1.5" if you want to run a 1.5" SC fork.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
you can buy the parts seperatly yes (bti / fsa / crc etc), or just buy the IS2 integrated headset and ditch their top cap spacer.

the e13 cups have a deeper insertion which is nice but I think the more recent Hope ones have a deeper lower cup but you'd have to double check on that.

the weight will work out to about the same as a starnut is ~10g, bolt ~8g, top cap ~6g

Last edited:

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Whats happened to the Hope zero stack reducer one? Do they not sell it any more?

I'm running one on my Sunday & its been great. Just had a search for them, but they seem to have a big lower stack now?

Its this model here I have: http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/24/hope_stepdown/hope-15-coverter-step-down-headset.html

My girlfriend has the CK 1.5" reducer on her Socom, its been on there for about 18 months now, and has been alright actually. Its got a big old stack on it though & its pretty heavy. Still has the infamous CK creak too!

Edited to say - its not actually zero stack, but its pretty bloody close!

Last edited:

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
The hopestepdown headset looks like it's been changed but you might be able to still purchase that same stepdown that -C- linked to. Contact your Hope dealer to double check before you order it though as I think it has changed a little.

newer 1.5 stepdown pic from crc

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Yup, thats it - the top half appears to be the same, but the bottom is different. On mine its finished where the lower lip is, it has none of that bit with the -hope- lettering on.

Wonder why they have changed it?

Ah, wait - the link I posted they have two options, the 'standard' and the 'low stack'. There's your answer :)

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
I just picked up an Acros 1.5" and installed it in my Shova. Light and SMOOTH. I believe that they make a reducing version as well.

toby

juanbeegas

Monkey
May 6, 2008
Singapore
That bottom bit is there for people who might have fork/downtube clearance issues. It's still a really low stacked headset on top. I'm using that exact headset on my bike and was using the FSA Orbit Z 1.5R previously on my hardtail.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Yep, I'm waiting until my frame arrives tomorrow so I can check. I don't see how I could have issues with a dual-crown fork, but best to check I guess :)

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Yup, thats it - the top half appears to be the same, but the bottom is different. On mine its finished where the lower lip is, it has none of that bit with the -hope- lettering on.

Wonder why they have changed it?

Ah, wait - the link I posted they have two options, the 'standard' and the 'low stack'. There's your answer :)

I bought mine last fall thinking it came with both flush cups. Came with the extended lower cup. I called Hope and Phil ordered me and sent it out, no charge!

If you have LBS order it from Hope they should be able to get it for you with two flush mount cups. The flush mount cups are the same, top and bottom.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
King has told me that they will be offering an Inset 1.5 devolution headset. Ie, flush, for 1.125" steerers. Give it a month or so. Should come with their totally awesome headlock too.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
What Cane Creek double XC are you looking at? I bought the II model and I'm pretty sure I read it's 40 grams lighter now. I believe it... I didn't put it on a scale, but it doesn't weigh anything. Competitive cyclist lists it at 137grams.

Some of the more notable differences between the old one (pictured below) and the II are the lack of the full crown race, (steel) and the cups don't insert as far any more...

Attachments

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
If you have LBS order it from Hope they should be able to get it for you with two flush mount cups. The flush mount cups are the same, top and bottom.
Mine did call Hope and they were telling them that their headsets are exclusive distributed through QBP etc. No direct anymore. And Q only has the newer version with stack listed. :disgust: