Quantcast

1/8 Wipperman Chain w/ e.13 guard...help

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Hey everyone, i have a 1/8 inch burly wipperman chain waiting to be put on my park bike that i am building for winter. My question for everyone is will this work with the 26" micro e.13 supercharger? Or wont there be enough space to allow for the chain between the guide and ring. I plan to use a 25t profile imperial ring...

Also my building of single speeds is limited, i cant use a standard cog with the 1/8" chain right? I will have to get a specific cog?

Thanks.

_Bill

swerve76

Monkey
Aug 30, 2003
nevada
Im running a 1/8 chain on my sst bash and ring. it should work. But how are you going to mount the bash to the profile ring?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
1/8" bmx chains are designed to take abuse from sprocket grinds, aren't they? i guess that doesn't help you at all, does it?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Im running a 1/8 chain on my sst bash and ring. it should work. But how are you going to mount the bash to the profile ring?
good point, i guess i could use an adapter but i am gong for clean...I think ill run the chain only like said below...I am not a total hack, and hopefully wont need the bash...

bash + 1/8" chain might be overkill and ghey...

Anyone know if i have to use a 1/8" cog? I am ashamed that i used to be a mech and dont know the answer to this question.:disgust:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
my issue is that i will be using a regular mtn cassette hub until i build a new rear wheels so i have to go the space routine...i dont need a ton of speed with this thing, i will be running it at rays primarily so an easier gear might help..Im thinking 25/12t..

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
i run 25-12 now,, profile front and gusset double-six rear conversion. designed for 1/8 chains. it comes with a 12t wide based cog. you can also get the gussett cogs individually.

swerve76

Monkey
Aug 30, 2003
nevada
You will have a little more wear on the cog and possibly your free hub body. But that depends on the cog and hub.

DThomson

Monkey
Nov 1, 2004
you probably dont even need the bash ring. i run 28 and its out of the way. so 25 should be fine. you should run 25/12

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
you probably dont even need the bash ring. i run 28 and its out of the way. so 25 should be fine. you should run 25/12
Thanks for the info, the smallest cog i can grab for a standard mountain freehub is 13...So now i have to grab a chainwheel (im ditching the bash idea because of the chain heft), i might go with a 25 because ill be riding some stunts at rays with it, but am still thinking about doing the 27...

any thoughts?

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
25-12 and be done with it.. the gussett ss conversion is only like $25, includes spacers and 12t cog.. 25t profile and a $6 kmc chain,, and your set.

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
Side note on the double six with the 12t.

I set up a shadow half link with the 12t and a profile 25 up front. The half link seems to just slightly kiss the alloy spacer to the outboard side of the 12t cog causing the black ano to wear off and leave a small ring of wear marks. Seems ok though, bike rides normally. I dont think the 13t or up would cause issue.

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
Depending on how you set up your chain tension....i.e. like it tight for no footed tricks or somewhat loose for crank flips will directly impact what cog you need to run...a 3/32" will work if you run the chain fairly tight...if it is loose it can skip when cranking hard. dont forget that any standard bmx cassette cog will work. You can get them all the way down to 11t. On a side not, do you work at a small bike shop in P-burg? Later Adam

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Depending on how you set up your chain tension....i.e. like it tight for no footed tricks or somewhat loose for crank flips will directly impact what cog you need to run...a 3/32" will work if you run the chain fairly tight...if it is loose it can skip when cranking hard. dont forget that any standard bmx cassette cog will work. You can get them all the way down to 11t. On a side not, do you work at a small bike shop in P-burg? Later Adam
Do you mean scholls? No i used to in High School and for 2 years during college but i still have a very good working relationship with them and handle alot of thier online stuff on the side. Why?

Thanks for the info btw.

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
Was up there the weekend before last, a guy looking similar to you was behind the counter...dont know the name of the shop though...little yellow corner building...first time I had been there.