Quantcast

1 month later and i broke the frame :(

Domin8stang

Monkey
Apr 30, 2006
San Diego
UPDATE:
Called IronHorse, after talking with a rep. there and having him qualify my needs after seeing this thread he recommended a Yakuza Chimpira for me. Not only that, they are sending me one to replace my bike that i broke! On top of that, he told me on the phone the differences between the bikes and helped me gain a much better understanding of the type of riding i do, and what my old bike was meant for. MAJOR UPS to IronHorse for taking care of business professionally! HERES THE NEW ONE!

yeah so today im out riding on my still new bike that ive only had a month. Im out with my buddy drew at the lakes near our house messing around with this tiny dirt mound that covers this pipe and just takin it easy when i jump it and my frame busts!!! WTFers!!!!!!!!!! Im furious, 30 mins and that bike shop is getting a call from an unhappy customer. 30 days and it breaks? I called the corporate office and they said there is a 1-2 year warantee on frames, so they better take it back or i will raise hell....i am ok but my bike makes me sad.

pics:
how it "should" look

how it looks

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
definitely defective. but considering the suspension design, i can't say that i'm really surprised. seems like there would be too much stress on that point.

Domin8stang

Monkey
Apr 30, 2006
San Diego
im just angry, its my first entry level mtb and i broke it doing next to nothing. I posted because i needed to vent, and if the shop helps out and lets me return it / trade it in for something else, i'll post about that too and how the shop did things right. im not reaming the shop im just saying...i didnt know IH would break this easily.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
stinkyboy said:
It needs to be a secret? :clue:
Of course not, but posting this kinda thing is almost a guaranteed way to get crummy service. Clearly a 30 day old bike breaking is crap. Chances are the weld was bad (or he hucked a building), one of the 2.

People need to realize though that there is a difference between the bike Ironhorse is now popular for (sunday, kumicho etc) and a lower end bike that they sell.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
Transcend said:
Of course not, but posting this kinda thing is almost a guaranteed way to get crummy service.
Do you really think that bike shops and manufacturers actively monitor this relatively low-traffic forum?

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
Domin8stang said:
30 days and it breaks? I called the corporate office and they said there is a 1-2 year warantee on frames, so they better take it back or i will raise hell....i am ok but my bike makes me sad.
What IH model is that?

It does suck that the bike snapped on you but that happens on occasion no matter what the brand it is. Hopefully IH will take care of you in a timely manner.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Where did you get it? I would talk to the shop first, I know if I was to bust my frame in a month, I would have a new one within days if not the same day from the shop.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
DRB said:
If a company screws someone over because of this they suck.
I'm not sayin they will (IH has great CS), but in my opinion it's common courtesy to at least give them a chance to make it right before posting it all over the internet.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Transcend said:
Of course not, but posting this kinda thing is almost a guaranteed way to get crummy service. Clearly a 30 day old bike breaking is crap. Chances are the weld was bad (or he hucked a building), one of the 2.
Or the opposite might happen. To protect their reputation, which is obviously important, they could take extremely good care of him to eliminate this public eyesore. When he comes back bragging that Iron Horse not only warrantied it, but gave him the next model up, then both parties benefit.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Chances are good it's a defect in materials or construction, not an indication that all of those will break easily. Chances are also good that you will get a new frame that will be good for the long haul. These things happen with all bikes, but probably more at the entry level. It sucks but try to be patient.

And it's not your shop's fault, so don't be mad at them. They don't make a lot of money selling bikes and you better believe they are not happy when stuff like this happens. It basically turns the sale into a loss due to all the extra time they will often spend to get it warrantied. Many shops will just give you a phone number and tell you it's your problem. If they help you out, make sure you show some appreciation.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
justsomeguy said:
Do you really think that bike shops and manufacturers actively monitor this relatively low-traffic forum?
Actually, there are representatives from Iron Horse, Evil/E.13, Turner, Canfield, Knolly, Giant, Marzocchi... gah, there are more, but I'm blanking. I think at least one Cannondale guy posts on here but I may just be thinking of team riders. There was one dude from Manitou who was posting but I haven't seen him in a long time.

There are lots of industry people who post on or monitor Ridemonkey.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
justsomeguy said:
they do around here.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Transcend said:
I'm not sayin they will (IH has great CS), but in my opinion it's common courtesy to at least give them a chance to make it right before posting it all over the internet.
i've taken many broken parts and frames back to shops over the last twenty years.
give them a chance and treat them with the same respect you ask for. and you'd be surprised how much you'll benefit because of that.
you want them to be glad to see you as you walk through the door. not cringe and draw straws to see who has to deal with you.

it's not the shops fault.
you could even go so far as to act professional if you have a chance to talk to someone at iron horse. and give them "constructive" critisism on what you percieve to be a weak point in the design. ask about any planned changes and such that could improve durability.

even if none of that benefits you in the least, staying on the high ground is it's own reward.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
Transcend said:
I'll bet you that shiny car of yours that way more bike manufacturers than you think are on Rm.
If that is true, these employees are unprofessional enough to let a post like this affect their level of service?

p.s. I think there's a difference between "actively monitoring" and random industry employees being "on" RM.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Domin8stang said:
yeah so today im out riding on my still new bike that ive only had a month. Im out with my buddy drew at the lakes near our house messing around with this tiny dirt mound that covers this pipe and just takin it easy when i jump it and my frame busts!!! WTFers!!!!!!!!!! Im furious, 30 mins and that bike shop is getting a call from an unhappy customer. 30 days and it breaks? I called the corporate office and they said there is a 1-2 year warantee on frames, so they better take it back or i will raise hell....i am ok but my bike makes me sad.
Ok, step 1 is to take a deep, calm, relaxing breath. I know it's hard to do that right now and of course it's stressful when bikes break but unfortunately sheet does happen now and then and it's a fact of riding. This is especially true on entry level products where production quantities are much higher than on high-end product. Whether it's bikes, cars, stereos, etc.; any consumer product will have a couple bad apples here and there.

Step 2 is to bring the bike (along with your sales receipt) to your dealer. They will then contact Iron Horse customer service who will instruct them on how to handle it. Unless you did something like run over your bike with the car or were using the frame for dirt jumping, chances are this issue will fall under the "warranty" categoty.

As described in the owners manual, frame warranty on aluminum frame XC & trail bikes is 5 years.

jonKranked said:
definitely defective. but considering the suspension design, i can't say that i'm really surprised. seems like there would be too much stress on that point.
Unless you personally inspected the frame and are qualified as an engineer or a frame builder I would not e-speculate.

justsomeguy said:
If they don't then either a) they are not concerned about their company, brand, or product or b) are bold face liars. Most of the bike industry will scope out ridemonkey, mtbr, pinkbike, nsmb, etc on at least an occasional basis.

-ska todd

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
justsomeguy said:
p.s. I think there's a difference between "actively monitoring" and random industry employees being "on" RM.
True.

But I'm not talking about people who have been "spotted", I'm talking about people who post somewhat regularly and/or usually check out any thread relating to their product.

edit: as demonstrated by ska todd above.

All of the Evil/E.13 guys are regular posters. Noel Buckly regularly posts about Knolly frames. ska todd is on top of any Iron Horse threads that come up. Brian Peterson takes care of Marzocchi questions. Dave Turner pops his head in here sometimes. We've already heard from Canfield in this thread ;).

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
In a slightly related note, I sent a few emails to WTB about a month ago asking for some info. I heard nothing back, but I posted something about it on here and I got an email back from WTB later the same day. Coincidence? Who knows.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
I hate to be the one asking this, but it sounds like you have been dirt jumping your lower end XC bike? I actually remember a post from you a little while ago where you posted pictures of yourself covered head to toe in abrasions and bruises after crashing on a "Rhythm Section." I'm not excusing the fact that it broke after 30 days. But, if you buy a low end XC bike and ride it like a freeride/dirt jumping bike, chances are your going to run into this problem again. I hope it gets resolved but next time you should really look at what type of riding your going to be doing, and buy a bike that is designed and intended for that type of riding.

Domin8stang

Monkey
Apr 30, 2006
San Diego
took it to the shop and they're taking care of it. i wasnt trying to diss on the shop or the company, i was just :mumble: that it happened on something about as tall as a curb. You would think the tires would pop b4 the frame would go especially on something soo small. As far as the "rhythum section" that i crashed on, it wasnt a series of jumps but a downhill with lots of cracks in it giving it that illusion.

So the shops taking care of it everythings cool people. I guess i will have to go ride my other bike til it comes back. UGH