Quantcast

1 month later and i broke the frame :(

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
dante said:
FYI, when something fails going over "something soo small", chances are you cracked it previously and it just gave way at that point. :)
Like perhaps when he "hit a rhythum section going down this huge mountainside and took one a lil too fast launching me over the bars into the side of the path." You said that the rhythm section you hit wasn't jumps, just a downhill trail, so why do you say "took one a lil too fast?"

Regardless, a beginner/entry level bike is just that, and an XC bike is still not a freeride bike. You need to shop for a more appropriate bike next time.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Domin8stang said:
sorry if i cant afford anything better.
Take a look at the Yakuza line, like the Aniki, you will be able to beat those a bit more without going broke.

<edit> my LBS has one for $750 or so.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Domin8stang said:
So wait a second, I have a bit of a problem with this line of thinking.

So just as an example, say somebody wants to get a horse so they can start riding to get in shape and they like the outdoors, but they can't afford a horse and they get a goat instead. But the goat dies because it wasn't meant to be ridden like a horse. Is it the goats fault that it died because the owner improperly used it? Is it the fault of the person who sold the goat in the first place??

I know this is a ridiculous example, but when you put the situation into a different context it really highlights how wrong this statement is.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Domin8stang said:
She's not picking on you for your budget, she's just being realistic.

It's not my fault that I can't afford a new Tacoma with a full off-road kit and 35" mud tires, but that doesn't mean I should take my Forester somewhere that's going to break it. It doesn't make me a bad person for having a smaller budget, but it does mean I need to be realistic about what will or will not break my car.

Good luck with the new frame :).

edit: Diva, my example was better, but yours was more creative :p

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
binary visions said:
She's not picking on you for your budget, she's just being realistic.

It's not my fault that I can't afford a new Tacoma with a full off-road kit and 35" mud tires, but that doesn't mean I should take my Forester somewhere that's going to break it. It doesn't make me a bad person for having a smaller budget, but it does mean I need to be realistic about what will or will not break my car.

Good luck with the new frame :).

edit: Diva, my example was better, but yours was more creative :p
I don't know, I'm pretty sure a goat one up's a forester!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
DH Diva said:
So wait a second, I have a bit of a problem with this line of thinking...<snip>
Yeah everyone should be able to ride but there is a baseline price of admission that goes up as you start riding at a more advanced or demanding level. It reaches a point of diminishing returns and after a certain point, more expensive is not always better. But still, you gotta pay to play.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
maxyedor said:
Umm, I broke a Stinky 9 about a year ago. But then I was riding it, mabye that's where I went wrong.
I was kidding, but OK:

Where did it break? What were you doing? Where the hell are the photos?

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Domin8stang said:
Iron Horse can probably work on some type of "sympathy warranty" upgrade for you. If you really have been using the bike for freeride use it is outside of the spectrum of what the Maverick series is designed for. You might want to look into the Yakuza series. Have your dealer discuss this with Sean G or Tom B in Iron Horse customer service.

-ska todd

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
stinkyboy said:
I was kidding, but OK:

Where did it break? What were you doing? Where the hell are the photos?
Stress cracks in the down tube, but at that point I didn't have a decent digital camera so the pictures don't show anything:mumble: It may be due to the Monster T I had on there, I pro dealed it in the first place so I t wasn't all that bad

I did sell the shock, rear end and hub on ebay for a profit tho.:rofl:

J

JRB

ska todd said:
Iron Horse can probably work on some type of "sympathy warranty" upgrade for you. If you really have been using the bike for freeride use it is outside of the spectrum of what the Maverick series is designed for. You might want to look into the Yakuza series. Have your dealer discuss this with Sean G or Tom B in Iron Horse customer service.

-ska todd
That would be far more than stellar service. :thumb:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Domin8stang said:
you really think they would do something like that?
FYI, ska todd works at Iron Horse, so he's not just guessing :)

And that sounds like damn fine service to me.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I have a sorta on-topic question as seeing this might help me out with my brother and such as he also owns a Iron Horse....

He has a Warrior SE. It's in the trailbike catagory. I know that it has 5" front and rear travel. It's not ment for drops or anything (or even dirt jumps) but I've found that most bikes will handle a slew of things to a point. Would his Warrior be better of for trail riding, maybe some table top type jumps and such?

This is the truth......it's hard picking a low end bike when all you currently ride is high end stuff. I have 3 bikes, all of which I consider high end (cortina, specialized, Intense) and had to pick a bike for my brother and wanted him to get some decent parts, but also a bike that would be good for him to learn on. The warrior seemed right, it fit his price range, and had some decent parts on it (short of the suspension) but that can all be upgraded later if need be. I definately don't ride hard so I figured if my stuff holds up fine he should be OK, maybe his wheels will need to be trued before mine per say, but otherwise things should be ok. I hope I got him a bike that fits the terrian he wants to ride.

Good luck with the warranty thing. From just reading through this thread it'd probably help to not post pics of broken stuff, or you jumping a XC frame. In Mag's you'll see pro's on XC stuff BUT they are smooth for the most part and get the stuff for free. They are looking for the edge in racing. Most of us on the boards aren't looking for that edge but rather the longevitiy of a product. I could go DJ'ing on my XC bike as well but I wouldn't expect anything to last. But good luck either way.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
It definitely sucks that your bike broke. No company or shop wants that to happen, so bring it back right away, and I am sure they will make it happen for you.

It is your right to complain about this, but I would let IH take of you first.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
ska todd said:
Unless you personally inspected the frame and are qualified as an engineer or a frame builder I would not e-speculate.
i personally inspected every single pixel in those pix! besides, e-speculation is the reason we have the internet in the first place. :weee:

Domin8stang

Monkey
Apr 30, 2006
San Diego
ok guys big update here!!!!!!!!!!:

i jsut got off the phone with Shaun (sp?) from ironhorse and they are sending me out a Yakuza Chimpira as a replacement / upgrade. He said he even saw the thread here and they were talking about what to do internally already. He said that the bike i got wasnt for what i was trying to do so they set me up with this new one! IM SO STOKED!!!!!!!!! THANKS ALOT AND BIG UPS TO IRONHORSE!!!!!!!!!!

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Domin8stang said:

i jsut got off the phone with Shaun (sp?) from ironhorse and they are sending me out a Yakuza Chimpira as a replacement / upgrade. He said he even saw the thread here and they were talking about what to do internally already. He said that the bike i got wasnt for what i was trying to do so they set me up with this new one! IM SO STOKED!!!!!!!!! THANKS ALOT AND BIG UPS TO IRONHORSE!!!!!!!!!!
Holy crap, that's great!

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Domin8stang said:

So RideMonkeys, what's the moral of this story....????