Quantcast

1 month later and i broke the frame :(

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
VaNIlLin81 said:
Reasons could go on and on why not to buy an Iron Horse
I may have Konabumm's desease, but tell me you're being sarcastic...

And Stinkyboy, I busted 2 Kona frames... but I was doing what Domin8stang did. The 'racelight' XC bikes have NO place at Plattekill

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
Do industry guys monitor these boards: Confirmed
Does their doing so afford great feedback: Confirmed
Does their doing so allow targeted customer satisfaction to garner good impressions all around: Confirmed

Good on ya' Iron Horse for taking this opportunity to turn a potentially whining thread into a thread of company praise.

Domin8stang

Monkey
Apr 30, 2006
San Diego
sam_little said:
Do industry guys monitor these boards: Confirmed
Does their doing so afford great feedback: Confirmed
Does their doing so allow targeted customer satisfaction to garner good impressions all around: Confirmed

Good on ya' Iron Horse for taking this opportunity to turn a potentially whining thread into a thread of company praise.
yeah for real. BIG BIG THANKS! i will post pictures when the bike comes in and truely get the full benefit of my rides now :)

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
This is the reason I stuck with a hardtail when I got back into riding. The bike that sent me on my 4 year mtb-free hiatus was a $700 Univega full-suspension; or as I liked to call it, "my piece of sh!t bike." If you're dropping less than a grizzle on an XC bike, go for a hardtail. You won't find anything full suspension that's worth a turd.

Now I'm sure I'll have a bunch of people getting up tight and posting examples of some $950 Kona or Specialized that's a perfectly capable fs bike, but this is just my personal rule of thumb. You get what you pay for.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Domin8stang said:
yeah for real. BIG BIG THANKS! i will post pictures when the bike comes in and truely get the full benefit of my rides now :)
Hey, if you really want to do the Iron Horse guys a favor for hooking you up, edit your first post in this thread and put in there what they did for you.

Some people will read the first post and never get past it or never find out what the outcome was. If you stick in there that they treated you right and hooked you up with a new frame, it'll give those people a reason to think before complaining about the company.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Congrats on the upgrade. I wasn't trying to rain on your parade today, I really just wanted to point out that you need a different type of bike for what you are trying to do. It's great that you are riding technical trails even though you just started out. But a rider needs to take responsiblity to outfit themselves properly for the type of riding they are doing. And it sounds like now you are set. Good luck with the new bike and let us know how it rides!

VaNIlLin81

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
c-ville
Well, from my ears and my friends bike, I....... think Iron Horse has a problem with customer service. My friend, not having the bike for 2 weeks had a small fall on the derailleur, it bent the whole rear drop outs out of place and he was buying hangars left and right trying to keep the bike. He got a new bike and took the IH into Performance, they took pictures of the bend and such, IH said they could not give him any warranty because it could have been caused from doing things the bike can't handle..WTF is that heh? You dont build a bike to a certain point and then say, oh it can handle such and such, you build a bike that you know can handle whatever you throw at it. I like the top of the line IH like the Sunday, and Azure...I was looking at a Yakuza for awhile until i heard all the warranty problems they had, and how the welds were done improperly. It looks like his warranty went well, so good luck to you.

Domin8stang

Monkey
Apr 30, 2006
San Diego
DH Diva said:
Congrats on the upgrade. I wasn't trying to rain on your parade today, I really just wanted to point out that you need a different type of bike for what you are trying to do. It's great that you are riding technical trails even though you just started out. But a rider needs to take responsiblity to outfit themselves properly for the type of riding they are doing. And it sounds like now you are set. Good luck with the new bike and let us know how it rides!
thanks, now i see the light. I hope to contribute more to this forum positively in the future now that this thread is somewhat memorable to many members. :nopity:

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Well you got a hardtail now, so it'll be better for jumping and such and if you break the rear off of that one then you need to spend some $$$ and get a jump specific frame :)

Glad it worked otu for you!

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
N8 said:
So RideMonkeys, what's the moral of this story....????
Buy a crappy bike, break it by going off jumps it's not supposed to take, and then bitch to company into an upgrade?

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Polandspring88 said:
Or the opposite might happen. To protect their reputation, which is obviously important, they could take extremely good care of him to eliminate this public eyesore. When he comes back bragging that Iron Horse not only warrantied it, but gave him the next model up, then both parties benefit.
and...

Domin8stang said:
ok guys big update here!!!!!!!!!!:

i jsut got off the phone with Shaun (sp?) from ironhorse and they are sending me out a Yakuza Chimpira as a replacement / upgrade. He said he even saw the thread here and they were talking about what to do internally already. He said that the bike i got wasnt for what i was trying to do so they set me up with this new one! IM SO STOKED!!!!!!!!! THANKS ALOT AND BIG UPS TO IRONHORSE!!!!!!!!!!
Ah, it feels so good to be right. Future perfectly predicted. Maybe I will be the next Miss Cleo...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
VaNIlLin81 said:
IH said they could not give him any warranty because it could have been caused from doing things the bike can't handle..WTF is that heh? You dont build a bike to a certain point and then say, oh it can handle such and such, you build a bike that you know can handle whatever you throw at it.
So Christophe Sauser's WC XC bike should be able to be ridden in the redbull rampage?

Domin8stang

Monkey
Apr 30, 2006
San Diego
macko said:
Buy a crappy bike, break it by going off jumps it's not supposed to take, and then bitch to company into an upgrade?
i didnt bitch, the cs rep brought it up TO ME about an upgrade. that makes it even mroe awesome! i cant thank them enough for what they did i was seriously panicking that i would be out my money or stuck on a bike i couldnt ride on what i want

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
VaNIlLin81 said:
You dont build a bike to a certain point and then say, oh it can handle such and such, you build a bike that you know can handle whatever you throw at it.
Please.

Please tell me you're joking.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Hmmm... maybe I should post a thread about my 6 yer old IH G-spot that I bent the rear triangle on.... maybe I can get a 7point!:cool:

J/K

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Domin8stang said:
i didnt bitch, the cs rep brought it up TO ME about an upgrade. that makes it even mroe awesome! i cant thank them enough for what they did i was seriously panicking that i would be out my money or stuck on a bike i couldnt ride on what i want
We have been doing this around Iron Horse for a while. It's better to put the person on the right type of frame then just having them continually breaking the bike they originally bought, warrantying it again, and ending up pissed at Iron Horse and the sport in general.

A Maverick Pro and the Yakuza Chimpira are similar in price but a world away in design and intended use. Unfortunately the first time buyer doesn't always understand this and will buy either 1. what looks "cool" 2. what they "think" they will need 3. what their friends have 4. what the shop recommends. I think there are very few of us who got into this sport and then didn't realize at some point that the first bike we bought wasn't right for the riding style we had or what our skill level had developed to. Just like there are tons of guys out there like our friend Stang here there are just as many guys out there riding full suspension freeride bikes around the cul de sac or for mellow XC because they thought the bike would be more durable or just looked cool. How many of the SUV's that we see in traffic every morning will see a second of time off road?

Example, my first mountain bike was a Trek 820. When I decided I wanted to start racing XC I quickly found out my bike wasn't what I needed to be competitive in anyway so I bought a Stumpjumper M2. When I then started to ride/race DH the Stumpjumper was not cut out for the task either so I had to buy yet another bike!

-ska todd

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
ska todd said:
We have been doing this around Iron Horse for a while. It's better to put the person on the right type of frame then just having them continually breaking the bike they originally bought, warrantying it again, and ending up pissed at Iron Horse and the sport in general.

A Maverick Pro and the Yakuza Chimpira are similar in price but a world away in design and intended use. Unfortunately the first time buyer doesn't always understand this and will buy either 1. what looks "cool" 2. what they "think" they will need 3. what their friends have 4. what the shop recommends. I think there are very few of us who got into this sport and then didn't realize at some point that the first bike we bought wasn't right for the riding style we had or what our skill level had developed to. Just like there are tons of guys out there like our friend Stang here there are just as many guys out there riding full suspension freeride bikes around the cul de sac or for mellow XC because they thought the bike would be more durable or just looked cool. How many of the SUV's that we see in traffic every morning will see a second of time off road?

Example, my first mountain bike was a Trek 820. When I decided I wanted to start racing XC I quickly found out my bike wasn't what I needed to be competitive in anyway so I bought a Stumpjumper M2. When I then started to ride/race DH the Stumpjumper was not cut out for the task either so I had to buy yet another bike!

-ska todd
I don't understand why you didn't just put a Monster T on the Trek and make it the penultimate 'do-all' bike?

VaNIlLin81

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
c-ville
ok ok, as i said...i wasnt stating fact... I.... I said what i thought, not what everyone should think..is it against someones religion to have negative thoughts about a bike company?..please, tell me if im wrong?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
stinkyboy said:
No Kona peeps on here to my knowledge, but since no one has ever broken a Kona frame, it's unnecessary...

since you brought it up ...

a local named Paul bought a new Stinky frame with the machined rockers.

I'm no engineer but I know that for a beefy frame that is NO way to save an ounce +/- of weight. As expected the rockers bent when he bottomed his suspension. The frame was brand new and bought on ebay. Kona's response was "no warranty" because he did not buy the frame from a dealer. They offered to sell him new rockers but they were not at all inexpensive.

Normally I'd chalk that up to being the manufacturer's policy and their option to cover or not, but I recently saw a picture of a new (07?) Kona which had rockers that were not machined. If they did in fact change the design due to a poor design then they should have done a bit more to help somebody that suffered due to said design.

BOYCOTT KONA !!!!!!!!one!1!!

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
VaNIlLin81 said:
ok ok, as i said...i wasnt stating fact... I.... I said what i thought, not what everyone should think..is it against someones religion to have negative thoughts about a bike company?..please, tell me if im wrong?
You are wrong.

J/K - it is just odd to hear any negative feedback about IH and their customer service. Most people that I have heard from (in person or on the boards) have had nothing but positive experiences with them, myself included.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
ska todd said:
all that stuff i just said
good to see that IH cares about their customers enough to get them on a proper bike than to just give them what they had (and apparently didn't work). its the difference between doing something, and doing it right. so kudos to IH :thumb:

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Nick said:
since you brought it up ...

a local named Paul bought a new Stinky frame with the machined rockers.

I'm no engineer but I know that for a beefy frame that is NO way to save an ounce +/- of weight. As expected the rockers bent when he bottomed his suspension. The frame was brand new and bought on ebay. Kona's response was "no warranty" because he did not buy the frame from a dealer. They offered to sell him new rockers but they were not at all inexpensive.

Normally I'd chalk that up to being the manufacturer's policy and their option to cover or not, but I recently saw a picture of a new (07?) Kona which had rockers that were not machined. If they did in fact change the design due to a poor design then they should have done a bit more to help somebody that suffered due to said design.

BOYCOTT KONA !!!!!!!!one!1!!
Why Boycott Kona? I bet their warranty and everyone elses says the warranty is only valid if bought from an authorized dealer. That is pretty standard warranty practice on bikes (or anything really). That's the only way to keep something in a retail setup is to be an authorized dealer.

That is why there are some perks to buying at a bicycle store, you get the warranty. If he's bottoming the suspension and bent the links he should pony up and buy new ones. IF they redesigned them to be solid instead of holes cut into them I'd call Kona on it and ask them why the design change. If they say hey it changed, oh well you're screwed buy new ones THEN I'd feel like boycotting them, but if they say well yeah, they changed, and we feel for ya we'll give you some 1/2 price or something then kudo's to them.

You do realize how many people buy bikes that aren't from authorized dealers and sometimes depending on the situation get taken care of and other times get pushed to the side? What's the point of buying something from an authorized dealer if I can buy it on Ebay for less and still get the full factory warranty? There is no bike frame I am aware of that'll honor a warranty claim if bought on Ebay or any other online retailer unless they are authorized to sell them.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
stinkyboy said:
Holy crap, that was my next frame... Where's the 07 info at?
I don't remember exactly where I saw it. It could have been here on RM in someone's pics from one of this season's races.

There is always the chance that my friend's frame was an oddball. Having said that I still don't know why Kona would choose to shave metal there of all places on a frame that must weight about 9 lbs.

Now that I'm thinking more about this, I guess it is possible that it may have been Kona's DH frame that I saw. I'm not 100% positive.

I'd say go get that new Stinky, just be sure you buy from a dealer and have a warranty!

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Tame Ape said:
I don't understand why you didn't just put a Monster T on the Trek and make it the penultimate 'do-all' bike?
There were no Monster T's circa 1994.

-ska todd

RenegadeRick

98th percentile on my SAT & all I got was this tin
ska todd said:

-ska todd
The first FS bike I bought when I got into trail riding again last year was indeed bought on looks. My Klein Mantra:

was great looking and fun to ride, but it had a crappy suspension and a nasty little habit of kicking me over the bars frequently.

As I learned to ride XC more, and to hit obstacles, rocks, log crossings, downhills, roots, etc. I was finally convinced I needed a different bike. I went and rode lots of bikes. I rode Specialized, Rocky Mountains, Konas, Treks but it was the Giant that I loved.

Initally, I liked the look of this bike the least:

but now I think it looks pretty cool. It's really irrelevant though.

What is important is to ride a bike that fits you, your riding style, handles predictably and is fun.

I know this is an IH thread, but Ska Todd's words rang true to my ears. Thanks for helping your customer get on the right bike.