Quantcast

1 week dh/enduro road trip in California in December - suggestions please!!

Jul 5, 2018
Hey everyone,

I've got the week before Christmas off from work and was looking to travel to California for a week with my bike and hire a campervan and do a road trip, riding at a different spot each day.

I'm coming from the UK, a mate of mine's stag do in Vegas has gone down the drain as his wedding has been called off - so I either get hardly any money back for my flights or I pay a small fee and change the date/destination which makes more sense to me.

16th - 23rd December

Was looking to rent a campervan and collect it from one location and drop it off at my final location at the end of the week (I've had a quick look on some sites and it seems this is possible).

Any suggestions on where to go or a decent route to take would be awesome - I'm into more DH/Enduro type riding.

Thanks, :)

Rich

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
California is a big state. Have any idea where you will be or want to be. I'm in Southern California around Disneyland. Tustin, if you want to look it up on a map.

twenty666

Chimp
Nov 8, 2017
Go to vegas, ride bootleg DH trails. You can pedal them on a trail bike, or truck shuttle a big bike. If you like steep, bootleg won't disappoint. St George UT, or San Diego CA are easy enough drives from there. Laguna beach north of SD has great riding. Noble canyon east of San Diego is a fun trail ride. Lots of trails in both areas.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
the entire state of California vs. one public trail network in boulder city.......

hmmmm

tough call
Bootleg at least has a shuttle running for the dh part.

With the winters we've been having your trip could consist of all the best high elevation stuff in the best condition ever, or 'california below 4k' (which is still good).

You're talking about the land mass equivalent of Georgia to Pennsylvania. Maybe tighten up your search a little.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Honestly man, if you want a truly unique riding experience, I'd go to moab if they don't have snow on the ground.

If winter has hit, then check out the st George area, or some of the stuff around Phoenix, Tuscon, or Sedona AZ. Then further on the list would be southern california.

You're coming all the way over here you might as well do some riding and sight seeing like nothing you've got in the UK. Southern Utah and Arizona are pretty awesome.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Most of the "trip worthy" destinations in California should be under snow in December (although as Kidwoo pointed out with recent weather weirdness all bets are off). Bootleg is cool, but it's only interesting for a couple of days. Moab/southwest in general is your best bet that time of year.