Quantcast

10:00 CET Saturday

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Landis' B sample results will be announced then. When the hell is CET?:rolleyes:

Floyd Landis faces the loss of his Tour de France crown and a dismissal from Phonak if his B sample comes back positive for testosterone when it is announced at 10:00 CET on Saturday. "We will release a statement tomorrow," an International Cycling Union (ICU) spokesman said on Friday.

The sample has been opened on Thursday at the Laboratoire National de Depistage du Dopage (LNDD) in the presence of the American's Sapnish lawyer Jose Maria Buxeda plus experts from the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA), and the UCI.

If the positive test is confirmed, Landis will be stripped of his Tour victory and Oscar Pereiro Sio of Spain, who finished second overall in this month's race, will be declared the winner.

It would be the first time in the history of the sport's biggest event that a Tour winner has been disqualified for doping.

His Phonak team said Landis would be dismissed if the B result was also positive.

SUSPENSION

The American, who has denied any wrongdoing and said his body naturally produced high levels of testosterone, has said he intends to continue racing once he has had an operation on his hip.

The 30-year-old tested positive after an astounding comeback in the last mountain stage of this year's Tour in the French Alps, just a day after a very poor performance which all but knocked him out of contention.

If the positive test is confirmed, he will have 10 days to respond to the documents that are provided, according to USADA rules.

Those documents, Landis's response and any documents USADA would provide will go to a review panel some time after the 10 days.

The review panel will make a recommendation whether or not there is a case. USADA, based on that recommendation, will then decide whether to charge Landis.

If USADA does charge the Phonak rider, he would have an opportunity to contest that decision and the recommended sanction before a U.S panel of judges.

The likely sanction is a two-year suspension from the sport.

Landis's lawyers could then take the matter to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) and a long procedure would begin.

Testosterone can speed up recovery after exercise and generally improves stamina and strength. Last weekend Olympic 100 metres champion Justin Gatlin admitted he had tested positive for the same hormone.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
narlus said:
CET = Central European Time? just a guess.
According to ESPN.com, that's 5a Eastern, 2a Pacific. Depending on how hard I go out tonight, I might get the news before I pass out. Sweet.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
The UCI has announced the official results of the analysis of Floyd Landis' B sample, which has confirmed the A sample result of an "adverse analytical finding" in Landis' urine. The news of the A sample was reported last week, with Phonak announcing that Landis had a high testosterone:epitestosterone ratio, and a UCI source confirming that an Isotope Ratio Mass Spectrometry test (IRMS) had also been done, revealing the presence of exogenous testosterone (contained within, but originating from outside the body) in the sample.

The sample was taken after Landis won the 17th stages of the Tour de France in Morzine, after a 130 km breakaway. The analysis was performed by the laboratory of Chatenay-Malabry in Paris over the last two days.

"In accordance to the Anti-doping rules, the Anti-doping Commission of the UCI will request that the USA Cycling Federation open a disciplinary procedure against the rider," said the UCI in a statement. If found guilty of taking performance enhancing drugs, Landis faces up to a two year ban from the sport and the stripping of his Tour de France title, which would go to Oscar Pereiro. Landis has also been fired by his Phonak team, which will comment on the case in the next few days.

Floyd Landis and his legal camp have denied that Landis ever used performance enhancing drugs. "I have never taken any banned substance, including testosterone," said Landis. "I was the strongest man in the Tour de France, and that is why I am the champion. I will fight these charges with the same determination and intensity that I bring to my training and racing. It is now my goal to clear my name and restore what I worked so hard to achieve."

Landis' legal team criticised the UCI for announcing the results of the A sample without knowing the B sample result, believing that Landis' rights had been violated. They have also claimed that his high T:E ratio arose from natural causes, and that the IRMS test, that showed exogenous tesosterone, is "unreliable". However, anti-doping experts such as Christiane Ayotte, director of the anti-doping lab in Montreal, Canada, have strongly defended their testing methods.