Quantcast

'10 Bianchi Doss 5100 vs. '09 Scott Aspect 45 vs. '10 Trek 3900 Disc

Mar 31, 2010
Hey everyone. Alright it is decision time! I need to get this thing ordered or bought next week. I am buying local!

Here is what we got:
2010 Bianchi Doss 5100
2009 Scott Aspect 45
2010 Trek 3900 Disc

All 3 bikes have disc brakes and 100mm travel forks. The Bianchi and Scott have lockout while the Trek does not.

All 3 bikes have disc brakes. The Bianchi and Trek have mechanical while the Scott has hydro. I like the hydro brakes but the particular ones on the Scott seem to be having issues (Shimano M485) and there is a service bulletin out for them. I don't want my brakes to be high maint. so this is a concern to me.

For looks the Trek is the best, with the Bianchi in second and the Scott taking 3rd. Looks aren't a huge deal to me but I still consider them.

I haven't test ridden any of these bikes yet. A local shop has 3 aspect 45's leftover and the Bianchi and Trek will have to be ordered.

Price: Scott: 560. Bianchi: 550 Trek: 480 or so. Since the pricing is so close it is a non-issue.

I will be riding all kinds of trails at local parks around the county and state. Some of them are pretty hardcore. Fast downhills and steep inclines. My friend and I like to get on those trails and ride as fast and hard as we can. The local trail is very well taken care of by the Northern Indiana Moutain Bike Association and it is complete with wooden ramps, log jumps, steep downhills and good inclines. We also ride down in Brown County, Indiana.

I don't know a lot about bike components and whats good and whats not. So any input or recommendations for you guys would be great. I'd like to stay under $600. Something inside of me is leaning towards the Bianchi. I originally was thinking the Scott but the brake issue scares me. I want a bike that can handle some abuse. This bike will be ridden hard and abused.

FYI: I had a Cannondale F8 2010 on the list but took it off because for 500$ it had a crappy fork. Still going to go test ride that bike this week though. Also a 2010 Kona FireMountain may be considered.

Right now I'm riding my 1999 Mongoose SX 4.3 with a completely stiff frame. Just last week I found 2 cracks in the frame. Not surprised considering how hard we ride.

Thanks in advance!

Bianchi Doss 5100

Scott Aspect 45

Trek 3900 Disc