Quantcast

100 Mile Boy Scout Bike Trek Ideas

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Does anyone KNow a decent "trail" system that would meet the following criteria:

100 miles if beginner bike trail without a huge amount of climbing or technical difficulty.

Legal camping along the route.

Road access every 15 or 20 miles so large adults and even larger SUVs won't have to break a sweat.

In eastern WA, Idaho, Montana... Oregon.

The idea is about 30 Boy Scouts trek 100 miles over 7 days with a few parents in support vehicles to look after them at night.

Last year they did the John Wayne Trail and were bored out of their little minds.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
You could do something similiar but have "loops"

Like up Blewit pass then thru the little town of Liberty (probably find lots of camping areas up there) up over Lions Rock and back down to Ellensburg. There are old 2 track roads that run north of I-90 and even the old Vantage Highway heading down to the Columbia River. and towards Wenatchee. My club had a Dual Sport course run through there....but it is probably a bunch of climbing (the ridges are BIG out there)

For fun we would ride from (be driven up) Lions Rock back into Ellensburg (~20miles) About 10-15 miles are steep road (dirt and pavement) descending then a leasuirly flat-slight descending ride to the JohnWayne trail/Ellensburg.

Maybe ride up around Salmon La Sac lake (northwest of Roslyn, WA) and somehow connect it by climbing over the ridge between that lake and the I-90/John Wayne trail.

Lots of camping (free or paying) near Salmon La Sac. Lions Rock is atop the ridge and has a basic camp ground (no facilities) and it should still be free.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Lions Rock
From this scenic viewpoint, you can see Mt. Rainier, Mt. Adams and the Stuart Range. It's great for picnicking, hiking, and photography. Follow Reecer Creek Road and watch for signs along the way. Eventually this road leads to Liberty.

http://www.ellensburg.ws/recreation.html

Cle Elum Campground Guide
Featuring a list of campgrounds and a campground
guide available in PDF format.
http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/wenatchee/recreate/camping/clecg.htm

Wish Poosh and Salmon La Sac
"Official" camping and picnic grounds located along Lake Cle Elum and the Cle Elum River. Huge rock formations and forest along the Cle Elum River make fantastic locations for hiking and picnicking or just sitting and taking in the wonder of it all.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
There is the Ginko Petrified Forrest to see down jsut outside Vantage also.

Is that the part of the JW trail the scouts rode last time?

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Looks like it has been upgraded since I was there a decade ago.
Lion Rock Spring. On Road #35, 23 miles north of Ellensburg. Fees: None. Facilities: Vault toilet, tables, benches, fire rings, stock water, no potable water. Units: 2, camping or picnicking. Activities: Viewing scenery, camping, picnicking, hunting, hiking,
horseback riding, motorcycle riding nearby.

http://www.gonorthwest.com/Washington/cascades/Cle_Elum/camping_swauk.htm

Jun 18, 2004
I did 2 50mi's when I was in Scouting in the 80's... one was on the Pac Crest trail... but I would have to go through my parents photo albums to verify all of the names of this stuff...

all I remember is that one ended at Ross Dam... and they took a week... I would like to trail ride them someday but I'm not sure if I will ever get to it...

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
MRT is 27 miles .

My son's troop did the Trail of the Couer d'Alenes for thier 50 and 100 miler. It's paved all the way, no reason you couldn't break it into sections. It's supposed to be utterly beautiful.

geargrrl

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Thanks for the responses - I think we are looking for dirt trails or at the very least primative roads. I'll check out the suggestions - some scouts have mentioned Idaho as a place they would like to go. :)

jodysbike

wheel man
Oct 11, 2001
Dune
[/QUOTE]Last year they did the John Wayne Trail and were bored out of their little minds.[/QUOTE]

I did something like that when I was a scout in England. To keep things going someone would set up lunch and dinner at checkpoints and camp sites to do merit badge class/test along the way. It kept it from being just pedaling and made it a race from one spot to the next. That's the trip that got me kicked out of the scouts. Little issue with some wine and girl scouts from Sweaden at one of our stops:devil:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i have many ideas but none that totally fit within your criteria. Access to trails even off of Wilderness is such a tricky thing for vehicle and mt. bike access for out of shape parents in mountains.

With a little time i probably could whip up a route around Mt. St. Helens/Mt. Baker fairly easily.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Str8OutaBallard said:
I did 2 50mi's when I was in Scouting in the 80's... one was on the Pac Crest trail... but I would have to go through my parents photo albums to verify all of the names of this stuff...

all I remember is that one ended at Ross Dam... and they took a week... I would like to trail ride them someday but I'm not sure if I will ever get to it...
You'd have to poach, the druids have turned that area into Wilderness, no Mt. Bikes allowed. There are only a few trails open to mt. bikes that even get close to the Pacific Crest Trail which actually runs from Mexico into Canada. But nowhere that i know of is the Pac Crest Trail open to mt. bikes.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Hmm i was thinking of Boundary Trail that starts near Spirit Lake Mt. St. Helens and meanders West over to the Council Lake area just north of Mt. Baker. It's around 75 miles long. It rambles from 4000 to 5000 feet, with fair access from road, but very limited areas to camp.

Kettle Crest in Eastern Washington also rambles from 4000 to 5000 feet. It's also around 75 miles heading North to South. Many more camping opportunities there than Boundary, but access tougher since Kettle Crest meanders up on a mountainous area and most forest roads parrallel each side and are a few miles and sometimes a thousand feet below the trail.

Also by taking spur trails as out and back and or adding some loops off of the trail system at certain points you can easily achieve your 100 mile goal....

So both could be done, but logistically it would be a nightmare that i don't have any time to figure out. Good luck.:p

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
here's an Idaho Idea:
The Lolo Motorway. It's a rough dirt road, built by the CCC that approximately follows the L & C route over Lolo pass. It is very remote, and supposed to be very beautiful, with a lot of up and down. While not 4WD, it's not suitable for certain kinds of vehicles (low clearance etc.). I think it's a 4 or 5 day ride, with a sag wagon.

Here's what my Idaho Historic Trails book says;
this is a rugged stretch of road and should only be taken by those prepared for it. No services exist for 100 miles. Permits will be required 2003-2006.
If this sounds like something you'd want more info on,
http://www.fs.fed.us/r1/lewisclark/lcic/grasslands/lolo_motorway.html

and here's a map of the route...
http://www.fs.fed.us/r1/lewisclark/lcic/images/cnf.jpg