Quantcast

100 miles on dirt

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by dirtgirl
Anyone know of a good training plan for building up to to doing 100 mile mtb rides? Currently I only generally do 20 miles. And I'm hoping to work up to a 100 mile ride by the end of the summer. Thanks! :p
I'm not sure, but that's a good question. Would help for 24h races. I would do it like preparing for 100 mile road rides. 3 days a week at a decent mileage (peaking at 20 miles each maybe) and then back to backs on the weekends moving up to like 62 milers. I don’t think you would have to do more than that. but just my opinion.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Good question, I'll get back to you. I raced the Brian Head Epic 100 last year and will train for it again next year.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by I Are Baboon

But Monday is New Year's Eve. You hafta work?
Not really, I just go in for orientation and to fill out paperwork. Then I get Tuesday off!:D

R

RaytheHammer

I did a 12 hour MTB race a few years ago and what worked for me was doing longer rides on the road. Your body is cycling so I think the hours in the saddle count more than if its on the dirt or road. I did a couple century rides a month. That helped!

tammy

spyderzmom
Oct 10, 2001
lost
Originally posted by RaytheHammer
I did a 12 hour MTB race a few years ago and what worked for me was doing longer rides on the road. Your body is cycling so I think the hours in the saddle count more than if its on the dirt or road. I did a couple century rides a month. That helped!
I second that - some of the best training I do for my solo 24 hour events is road riding - it's easier to get more mileage and spend more time actually in the saddle that way;)

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Originally posted by dirtgirl
Anyone know of a good training plan for building up to to doing 100 mile mtb rides? Currently I only generally do 20 miles. And I'm hoping to work up to a 100 mile ride by the end of the summer. Thanks! :p
I'm sure Heidi has some good tips. You could also drop a PM to Chunk. I know that he's raced the SM 100 the past couple of years. :)