Quantcast

$1000 to spend, what is the 29er with best set up?

Boonie21

Chimp
Jul 18, 2008
Title says it all, I have $1000.00 to spend and wanting to know what direction I should be looking for a well equipped 29er Hardtail? Steel or Aluminum is fine and I am partial to SRAM.

Your opinions are appreciated!

Thanks,

JB

Boonie21

Chimp
Jul 18, 2008
or should I just throw a SRAM X7 2x10 drivetrain on my Haro Mary XC and stop the mental anguish???

Or go KHS SixFifty606 from a local shop for $999? (the 2010 model)???

What to do??? :)

Toddre

Chimp
Oct 23, 2007
Good Ole CT
im not saying its crap either but they have to cheap out somewhere with a parts groupo like that
Well pretty happy with mine so far... I'd put it up against anything in it's class... just offering up suggestions for the OP... you guys can take it for what it's worth...

DavidM

Chimp
Jul 31, 2011
NW Arkansas
I recently read and about have become very interested in the Airborne Goblin. I emailed them with questions and they told me the frame comes with a lifetime warranty. The trail test for the Goblin in the Issue 158 of DirtRag said they think Airborne can offer the component setup for that price because there is no middle man to deal with. They ship directly to the buyer so thats why shipping is only $50 to the lower 48 and can offer that they offer. Also like most other bikes the parts can be upgraded like for like (upgrade the 2x10 with another brand or better series of that same brand as long as its 2x10). Also the bike comes about 80% put together. All the buyer has to do is install the tires, wheels, stem, and handlebars which is nice for someone wanting to learn how a bike comes together and the if needed take it to a shop to have them double check everything. I my honest opinion Giant XTC and the C'dale for the $1200 price range is way over priced for a not so great component setup compared to the Airborne Goblin. Both the Giant and C'dale have too huge a price gap in their component setup. My advice would be to look at the following bikes in the price range of $1000-$1500 (which is what I am also looking at):
-Diamondback Overdrive Pro
-Airborne Goblin
-Scott Scale 29
-Trek X-Cal (higher price than the rest but maybe you can find a 2011 model that never sold since the 2012's are coming out)

Just my opinion and I know this is an older thread but o well

jhazard

Chimp
Dec 28, 2008
Durango, CO
The Sette is a great deal, but IMO, the Goblin has it beat on spec, check it out: Airborne Bicycles. Goblin.

Goblin comes with the 10sp. drivetrain, plus SRAM cranks/bb too. Also, the 5 year warranty is nice on the Sette, but the Goblin comes with a lifetime warranty on the frame.

And I also must disclose - I am a member of the Airborne Flight Crew as well... I've been riding a Goblin for the last couple weeks and I'm hooked.

jpalessi

Chimp
Feb 16, 2012
I didn't want to start a new thread since I'm in the same boat. new to mountain bikes and i'm looking for a good 29er to start with. looking the spend $1500 MAX.. I'd rather find something leftover for $1000-$1200.. if you guys have any suggestions i'd appreciate it. Thanks.