Quantcast

100mm 29er fork questions.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
So I'm working on building up a hardtail 29er for some local flowy XC trails, but I am confused on this fork segment. My first instinct is to throw something beefy up front, but it doesn't really fit the build or my budget, or the fact that beefy 100mm 29er forks don't exist without modification, to my knowledge.
I was pretty set on a reba (assuming it was basically a lower revelation, which I've had a 26" and liked it) but I saw it is a SID chassis now. This freaks me out a bit since I like to ride aggressive, do dumb stuff occasionally, and weigh 200.
Does anyone have experience with the durability of the newer reba 29 forks?
Or is the revelation a stiffer chassis that I could look into lowering?

Not interested in fox- I've had too many problems with creaky steerer assemblies.
Slightly interested in the tower, any user feedback on those?

Thanks for any input guys!

4130biker

May 24, 2007
Uh ohh, I forgot no bike content here. Happy to move this if it displeases the RM. but I thought DH- no way, XC- no one ever hangs out there

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I had a older Reba. Still solid as I service the bike to this day. The hipster retard that bought it doesn't deserve such a nice bike or fork. Avid Ultimate levers with Avid Mechanicals also...

Colonel Angus

Monkey
Feb 15, 2005
land of the green chiles
I've run Fox forks for 12 years and never had a creaky steer tube. I have a 120 mm Fox on my 29er SS, spaced down to 100 mm, 2 years now not a single problem.

That said, I rode a bike with a RS Reba for 2 years and had no trouble, but I like the Fox better, feels stiffer in the corners.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Can't speak for the 29'er versions since I've not compared them, but the RS Rev that I tried out on my Reign was LIGHT YEARS less noodly than my stock Fox 32.

*Almost* enough to convince me to buy a Rev... :D

4130biker

May 24, 2007
Cool thanks you guys. Maybe I'm just having a run of bad luck, and I have nothing against fox- performance-wise, they are plenty of fork for me. I've just had three creaky CSU, on two different forks, which I would just put up with if it was the only option, but the older pikes and revelations Ive had presented no such issues.

SO leaning towards the reba even though it's based off of a SID, which I guess they aren't the 30mm spindly things they used to be, but still.

The manitou tower pros are dirt cheap, brand new, with decent reviews. Anyone here try one?

Last edited:

4130biker

May 24, 2007
Sounds like the tunability of that tower is a big plus, and average stiffness chassis. Don't like having to do a spring swap right away on an air fork, but its a neat idea (air/coil spring setup)
Found one guy who said he's had 3 creaky CSUs, and now he's given up on them. Another couple who said the stiffest tuning springs weren't enough...
So great price, but still on le fence.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
Ok, found a potentially good deal on a revelation RL, 2013
Solo air, 130mm. My question is how much can I lower this thing, if at all? 100-110 range would be ideal. Been finding conflicting answers all over the internet, some saying I would need a new spring assembly? Anyone with experience on this?