Quantcast

105 9spd cassette + XT mech + Sram Rocket - problems

Killerbarbies

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
Slovakia
I'm trying to set up a 105 9spd cassette + 2006 XT rear mech (medium cage) and a 2005 SRAM Rocket shifter and it just will not work...any ideas which of the components might be causing me the problems. I can get it to shift up the cassette but not down...or likewise, if I set it up to shift down the cassette it won't shift up.....

Is the spacing between the cogs on the 105 cassette narrower than on an MTB specific cassette?

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
If you can get it to either shift up or down all the way, then the indexing between the 9spd components is ok. What about the cable and housing? Is this a completely new set up or are you using maybe an old chain? Or a chain that is too long? Dont forget to adjust the B-tension screw(the one that faces back on the der.) to allow the top pully to closely follow the cassette.

psychobiker

Monkey
Jul 17, 2006
charlotte nc
sram and shimno is tricky.. loosen cable(new) adjust shifter to high make sure all adjustments are in the middle.. adjust der to gear#9 tighten cable on der.... shift 1 gear at a time make sure no kinks in chain adjust as ness... good luck

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Make sure your upper pulley on your derailleur cage isn't sitting on the cogs. If it is that might be causing it to hang up on the gears and not let it advance to the next one. Tightening your b-tension screw should give it some space.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
the shifter and cable are the oldest parts of the set-up...I'll try a new cable which is the cheapest replacable part
put a fresh inner and outer on and you should be sorted. If that doesn't do the job you mech hanger might be slightly bent, but go with the cable first.

Killerbarbies

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
Slovakia
luckily I have an unused inner cable in my toolbox and voila....perfect shifting...the last addition to this set-up was the 105 but the shifting was okay before I added it so I wasn't sure if that had caused the probs but the cables were over 18 months old as well.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
change the outer whenever you get a chance it will make it even better
fresh cables are sweet. But fresh cables with fresh housing is even better! Just remember that it will stretch and you'll have to readjust it fairly soon. but once it stretches it wont' need adjustment nearly as often.