Quantcast

10mm difference in axle to crown?

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
**Paging Bike Nerds!!

So I just retired my '10 Fox 36 and jumped on the Pike bandwagon..got the 160mm dual position for my ReignX..

The axle to crown on the Fox is 545mm while the Pike sports a 535mm..

My question is how much is 10mm going to steepen my HA?? Im sure there is some calculation for it but I searched and cant find it..

Also I was thinking if it would change my HA enough to notice I was contemplating a tapered angleset..my 67deg HA seems to be a good balance but I dont want to go any steeper...

My question is whether the thickness of the bottom headset cup is taken into account when figuring the HA?

For example my current headset is internal on the bottom so adding a 1deg angleset would slacken it 1deg + whatever the thickness of the heatset cup is or is the extra stack height accounted for??

Thanks! :thumb:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Instead of answering your question, I will point out that the 160 Pike is actually a 542 axle to crown. So, you will not even notice a difference. Also, the pike should ride a lot higher in its travel than your 36, so your bike my feel a little slacker even.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Instead of answering your question, I will point out that the 160 Pike is actually a 542 axle to crown. So, you will not even notice a difference. Also, the pike should ride a lot higher in its travel than your 36, so your bike my feel a little slacker even.

well i got the 535 with the trusty tape measure so it could be +/- a few mm...

Is 542 a listed size or a measurement?? When I hold the two together the Pike definitely looks shorter although with the difference in axle size and axle offset its hard to tell..

edit:
(just remeasured and from the crown to the bottom of the axle is 542ish so from the crown to the centerline of the axle is roughly 535..the 36 is 555 to the bottom of the axle which would be 545 to the center so they are definitely about 10mm difference if you measure to the same point)

Humor me on the angleset question as Im curious about slackening it another .5deg..

Last edited:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
well i got the 535 with the trusty tape measure so it could be +/- a few mm...

Is 542 a listed size or a measurement?? When I hold the two together the Pike definitely looks shorter although with the difference in axle size and axle offset its hard to tell..

Humor me on the angleset question as Im curious about slackening it another .5deg..
Yeah, that is the listed size. And yeah, your angleset idea would work. Or if you want a cheaper solution just get a lower external headset with a higher stack height.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Yeah, that is the listed size. And yeah, your angleset idea would work. Or if you want a cheaper solution just get a lower external headset with a higher stack height.
see my edit above^

yea getting a 10mm tall external cup might be the call..wish I cut the steer tube a little longer than the old one...oh well I can always get taller bars to make up for it..

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Or get a different size front tire.........or rear tire........

10mm is nothing if it does exist.
It really doesn't matter when you take into account the suspension being loaded with rider weight and the dynamic affects of it reacting to the terrain. If anything, it will be slacker by a cunt hair and everyone knows moar slack is moar better

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
**Paging Bike Nerds!!

So I just retired my '10 Fox 36 and jumped on the Pike bandwagon..got the 160mm dual position for my ReignX..

The axle to crown on the Fox is 545mm while the Pike sports a 535mm..

My question is how much is 10mm going to steepen my HA?? Im sure there is some calculation for it but I searched and cant find it..

Also I was thinking if it would change my HA enough to notice I was contemplating a tapered angleset..my 67deg HA seems to be a good balance but I dont want to go any steeper...

My question is whether the thickness of the bottom headset cup is taken into account when figuring the HA?

For example my current headset is internal on the bottom so adding a 1deg angleset would slacken it 1deg + whatever the thickness of the heatset cup is or is the extra stack height accounted for??

Thanks! :thumb:
25mm of increased a2c is one degree of head angle. The external lower cup sounds like the solution if you were happy where you were.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Well the 10mm was definitely noticeable..

thinking of going with a -.5 angleset...with the 14mm external cup it would put my ride height back about where it was and give me roughly a 66.5 deg HA which should be pretty dialed..

As far as the pike riding up higher in its travel negating the effects of the shorter axle to crown wasnt really the case..

I ran my old 36 way stiff and the pike actually felt like it was compressed more while riding...i bumped up the psi so we will see next time but I wasnt as stoked on the fork as I expected after reading the reviews..

the settings listed on a few of the reviews I read also had me scratching my head...I had to run ALLOT of rebound damping and 6clicks of LSC didnt seem like enough..I was at the recommended psi and everything I read claimed was actually higher than needed..I need to put more time on it but I was prepared to be blown away but I was kinda disappointed..

Last edited: