Quantcast

10mm Rear Hadley hub to Maxle conversion?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
call hadley and ask for the 12 mm axle kit for the hub. Make sure you get the proper width (135 or 150, whichever your hub is).

edit: Phone # is 909-946-6780, should cost you around $40 shipped (I think)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
one other heads up, hadley hubs use cone wrenches larger than what park tool makes. You can use the adjustable pin spanner tho.

But if you have the change (and enough hadleys to justify it), spring for the hadley tool kit. Its about $70 and includes every tool to work on a hadley.

If nothing else order some lube to. Its a thin teflon lube that runs about $10 for a tiny bottle, but will last a long time.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
For a 10X135, there is an aluminum thru axle (long nut and bolt style) with a 'nut' that notches into the dropout for one tool release.

There is also a 10mm titanium hex/cap head bolt (one for each side) set-up that is similar to King 'fun bolts'....except they are standard threads so you can replace them if needed.

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
For a 10X135, there is an aluminum thru axle (ling nut and bolt style) with a 'nut' that notches into the dropout for one tool release.

There is also a 10mm titanium hex/cap head bolt (one for each side) set-up that is similar to King 'fun bolts'....except they are standard threads so you can replace them if needed.
DT Swiss makes a 135x10mm RWS tool free thruaxle:

http://www.dtswiss.com/Products/Components2009/RWS/RWS-thru-bolt.aspx

If this new Syntace standard catches on, I bet Hadley will have adapters eventually. Could be seen new DWL RFX

Syntace x12 System

Syntace x12 System Video

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
unless they are changing the diameter of the axle, the current adapters will fit.

or if they come up with something super proprietary, like axles that screw into the hub.
Will not fit as is.

turnerbikes re:RFX said:
Thru axle rear. yes of course, not sure which way to go though. There is a lot of talk in the industry about the Syntace X12 set up. The basics are that it is slotted dropout faces so you can set the bike on the wheel just like the bigger travel fork models have done for years. the BIG difference is that one must have a bit longer axle caps or ends to engage the frame. Basically a 135 turns into a 142mm over all length. I have talked to King and they can fit the 12 thru, but have not made an axle to fit this system yet. Industry Nine already does it for their German market. Mavic and DT Swiss already offer 'long nosed hubs' for this dropout style. Shimano is giving me the cold shoulder so I have no idea what they are doing. Seems like Saint at least should have the optional hub caps. I have been told their designs will take the 12mm axle thru the hub and cassette, but nothing as to what they are doing in 2010. I did not contact Hadley yet, but I am sure Mike can do anything with his hubs if this becomes 'the way'.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
seems a bit silly to have a whole new standard of 142 for what is 135 hubs at the moment. the current turner dhr already has stops for its 150 hubs. silly that other manufacturers dont do the same. the only thing with 135 hubs is that the drive side part of the hub is pretty much flush with the cassette.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
seems a bit silly to have a whole new standard of 142 for what is 135 hubs at the moment. the current turner dhr already has stops for its 150 hubs. silly that other manufacturers dont do the same. the only thing with 135 hubs is that the drive side part of the hub is pretty much flush with the cassette.
All is needed is longer end caps, its really not that complicated. Hope/DT Swiss/King/Hadley/i9 hubs can be converted to various standards with a kit - what's the big deal if you don't have to buy new hubs?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
All is needed is longer end caps, its really not that complicated. Hope/DT Swiss/King/Hadley/i9 hubs can be converted to various standards with a kit - what's the big deal if you don't have to buy new hubs?
Yea but will that take into account the necessary offsets for brake calipers and derailleurs? Are hub manufacturers going to start making 142 spaced hubs? or is just going to be an extra spacer?

What's the real benefit of 142 spacing? just for the axle? At least with a 150 spaced hub you get an (almost) dishless wheel.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I already gave a link above with the information :huh:
Yea, I read it. Doesn't seem to be anything groundbreaking. Idk but I've never found tightening all 3 of my rear axle bolts (which happen to use the same allen key) to be all that challenging. Seems like a solution in search of a problem to me.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
To the OP, Hadley changed the thread size on their end caps not that long ago. If you have the older style, you will need a new internal axle. I think if your hub is R6.0 or newer you are good.

Evil Sylvain

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Montreal, QC, Canada
To the OP, Hadley changed the thread size on their end caps not that long ago. If you have the older style, you will need a new internal axle. I think if your hub is R6.0 or newer you are good.
Yes thanks. The person I talked to at Hadley asked me for the serial number of my rear hub and he confirmed that I should be good for the conversion kit.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
one other heads up, hadley hubs use cone wrenches larger than what park tool makes. You can use the adjustable pin spanner tho.

But if you have the change (and enough hadleys to justify it), spring for the hadley tool kit. Its about $70 and includes every tool to work on a hadley.

I have 4 hadley rear hubs in use, and find that even though i have the hadley cone wrench (which is aluminum) I prefer using the park wrench that i filed to be 1 mm wider. It's thin profile means i can loosen/tighten the assembly w/ the disk rotor still in place.

i used standard pin spanners on my hadleys for years. but yeah, the hadley pin spanner is a bit nicer to use.