Quantcast

10S chains and cassettes: SRAM or Shimano?

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I guess that my first quesiton is, Are SRAM chains and cassettes compatible with Shimano shifters? Next question: If they are, how does the SRAM stuff shift? I've got a bike with a fried drive train and am thinking about trying SRAM isnce I have had such good luck with it on my mountain bikes.

Thanks

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
Yea...the Sram chain and cassette will work fine with Shimano shifters. Actually...we use Sram chains exclusively at the shop...gotta love the powerlink!

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
According to ProCycling magazine, SRAM road stuff is not interchangable with Shimano road stuff. You may want to double check that.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Just no Sram shifters to Shimano derailers or vica-versa. Chains should be fine. I actually prefer Sram chains to anything else out there.
I know about that, but how about cassette spacing? I'm guessing that the answer is that they are the same, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
cassette spacing for both are the same, and any 10 speed chain will work on a 10 speed set up.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
after what i saw today, i don't think i would run anything except a Shimano 10sp chain. let's just say i work with someone who is somewhat high up at Shimano, so it might be biased.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
I've been running SRAM cassettes and chains on my Shimano drivetrain for a several years. Personally, I have never been happier. The ramping on the SRAM cassette seems to make for smoother shifts...especially on climbs. Chainwise, I've yet to snap a SRAM chain on my road bike (actually, it's a 'cross bike - whatever). I've popped a couple Shimano chains back in the day.

My $0.02 - I'll send you the bill.:)