Quantcast

12 found alive! Uh, woops

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
a funny rant by a friend of mine (i assume the RM filter will censor the naughty words):

you know what word in the english language has become
as pleasant as a 2 week constipation in my ass?
"miracle."
i ****ing hate that word.
america has become a nation far more religiously
fanatical than iraq and iran combined lately.
i mean, what the ****, people!
every time we have a disaster now, every ****ing
toothless wonder wants a miracle, or they wanna sue.
whether they pulled those poor miner alive or dead,
i didn't see no jesus or god or buddah or allah pulling any
one out. it took regular everyday mother****ers
like you and me to go down there, work like dogs,
and hope for the best. so in the end, some people
ended up playing the worst game of "telephone"
ever recorded in the history of mankind.
hey, those ****ers worked for over 30 hours
without sleep to get them out. they got tired,
giddy, and heard what they wanted to hear.
no one was out to screw anyone.
and now the church going "cousins" and
"friends" of miners are mad with anger and wanna
sue. hey, fat mamma, if you wanted to save someone
(your cousin-husband-son-whatever), get your double
wide ass out of church, round up all "young-uns" in a big
burlap sack, put down the ****ing bible, pull up
your moo-moos and start digging or lend a hand to the
rescue folks. you know why your
cousin-daddy-friend-whatever
got such a high pay as a miner? because being a miner
is an inherently dangerous as **** job that no one else
wants to do. that's why. this time, the bear ate them.

"i was mad that they took away our celebration..."

hey, ridge runner bob, if you want a celebration, go
cash your welfare check, dip into to your vat of
moonshine and go ass **** your daughter / wife.
but if you wanna help - step one: don't go running to
some ****ing church first. go to your other church,
walmart, and buy a shovel. and quit your goddamn
whinning, bitch.

"whaddya mean my cousin died in a mine explosion!
i'm suing."

good ****ing lord. god save this candy ass nation.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
yeah, he's got some classic ones, too bad i never kept a "rants" folder for some of the doozies.

i liked the part of Wal-Mart as the 'other church'. :D

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
Echo said:
It's well known that DT and I are no great pals, but I have to agree that you missed his point.
Except for the fact that it's pretty demonstrable that I have been following from the beginning and that he (and Changleen saw this too, which makes his comment about Changleen absurd) made the original reference to Bush.

I've also made comments about how he blatantly pointed out the Post in error and how reports were careful to say that what was written was based on what information they were receiving and were unsubstantiated.

Edit: So if DT wants to be an a-hole with his pompous, over-inflated, egotistical, tirades he should get the facts straight first.
(Are those words big enough for you DT? How about supercilious?)

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Old Man G Funk said:
Except for the fact that it's pretty demonstrable that I have been following from the beginning and that he (and Changleen saw this too, which makes his comment about Changleen absurd) made the original reference to Bush.

I've also made comments about how he blatantly pointed out the Post in error and how reports were careful to say that what was written was based on what information they were receiving and were unsubstantiated.

Edit: So if DT wants to be an a-hole with his pompous, over-inflated, egotistical, tirades he should get the facts straight first.
(Are those words big enough for you DT? How about supercilious?)
Ya want some facts?

CNN, MSNBC and at least three newspapers that I have seen ran the following statement: "12 of 13 Miners Found Alive" with no ref. to substantiation whatsoever until the counter reports started coming in. At which time it was too late for the newspapers because they had already gone to print. I can send you a photocopy of the headline. I still have the paper in the recycling bin.

As for the remainder of your post, you still don't get it do you? Chang got it, Echo got it....but I have said it before and I'll say it again. They are both pretty bright guys. What seems to be your problem?

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
Damn True said:
Ya want some facts?

CNN, MSNBC and at least three newspapers that I have seen ran the following statement: "12 of 13 Miners Found Alive" with no ref. to substantiation whatsoever until the counter reports started coming in. At which time it was too late for the newspapers because they had already gone to print. I can send you a photocopy of the headline. I still have the paper in the recycling bin.

As for the remainder of your post, you still don't get it do you? Chang got it, Echo got it....but I have said it before and I'll say it again. They are both pretty bright guys. What seems to be your problem?
F you, you pompous buffoon. How dare you condescend to me after YOU made the initial comparison to Bush and got called out on it.

Yeah, I know you are trying to bash the media, big f-ing deal. People bash the media every day. If you get your news strictly from reading the headlines (like our illustrious president) then too f-ing bad for you and your sorry *ss. Be an ill-informed POS if you want, but don't impugn my intelligence because of your lack of it.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Echo said:
It's well known that DT and I are no great pals, but I have to agree that you missed his point.
What point was that because I seem to have missed it too...

Clearly it must have been somehting beyond the bleedin' obvious (i.e. that the media screwed up) but what?

And I think he is missing OMGF's point about the comparison with Iraq being plain wrong.

And I just re-read the thread before this (IMO a rather tasteless one), killing a few thousand more brian-cells.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Old Man G Funk said:
F you, you pompous buffoon. How dare you condescend to me after YOU made the initial comparison to Bush and got called out on it.

Yeah, I know you are trying to bash the media, big f-ing deal. People bash the media every day. If you get your news strictly from reading the headlines (like our illustrious president) then too f-ing bad for you and your sorry *ss. Be an ill-informed POS if you want, but don't impugn my intelligence because of your lack of it.
Oh awesome! You have reduced your argument to vulgarity and personal insults. Way to contribute to an otherwise civilized discussion. Atta boy!

Ah a perfect example of what I like to call the "dullards encumbrance". It was explained to me by my Grandfather when I was in my teens. I'm paraphrasing here but, "When in the course of a discussion or debate your opponent resorts to vulgarity and or insult, it is because they have either realized that they are completely wrong or lack the faculties to keep up."

But to respond to what you did attempt to infer in your post I will say this:
First of all I don't get my news from headlines or from major networks. If I did, I would think that the news media had done it's job when clearly they did not. Once again, in it's desire to get the big story out first, be it Katrina, W Va, The Bush Memo ad nauseum, they have show their collective keisters by failing to ensure the most basic precept of journalism. Truth.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Just because we argue doesn't mean we can't be friends...

Arguing is fun. Once the rage settles, allow the smile back on your face.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
Damn True said:
Oh awesome! You have reduced your argument to vulgarity and personal insults. Way to contribute to an otherwise civilized discussion. Atta boy!

Ah a perfect example of what I like to call the "dullards encumbrance". It was explained to me by my Grandfather when I was in my teens. I'm paraphrasing here but, "When in the course of a discussion or debate your opponent resorts to vulgarity and or insult, it is because they have either realized that they are completely wrong or lack the faculties to keep up."

But to respond to what you did attempt to infer in your post I will say this:
First of all I don't get my news from headlines or from major networks. If I did, I would think that the news media had done it's job when clearly they did not. Once again, in it's desire to get the big story out first, be it Katrina, W Va, The Bush Memo ad nauseum, they have show their collective keisters by failing to ensure the most basic precept of journalism. Truth.
Now, I shall hoist you with your own petard.

Check back to comment number 41 to see who started the insults. I guess that means that you were the one who either couldn't keep up or were completely wrong. I'll take this as one in the win column.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Old Man G Funk said:
Now, I shall hoist you with your own petard.

Check back to comment number 41 to see who started the insults. I guess that means that you were the one who either couldn't keep up or were completely wrong. I'll take this as one in the win column.

At that point you'd clearly exposed your inability to grasp the discussion. I merely advised some remedial study and suggested you leave the debate to those who understood it.

As for your "win":rolleyes: , Echo has it right, but do what you need to do in order to sleep at night.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Damn True said:
I thought you were a materials engineer?
That's what I did my degree in. Inevitably as a qualified engineer I got a job in IT, now I've moved into the Marketing end of IT. (pst: It's great! You get paid the same or more for doing less technical work!)

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Changleen said:
That's what I did my degree in. Inevitably as a qualified engineer I got a job in IT, now I've moved into the Marketing end of IT. (pst: It's great! You get paid the same or more for doing less technical work!)
Which bit of IT?

I enjoy the technical stuff the most - fewer idiots..

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
Damn True said:
At that point you'd clearly exposed your inability to grasp the discussion. I merely advised some remedial study and suggested you leave the debate to those who understood it.

As for your "win":rolleyes: , Echo has it right, but do what you need to do in order to sleep at night.
No, at that point you realized the stupidity of your comparison and tried to act like it never happened. Nice try but you got called on it and now you're trying to deny, deny, deny.

That's all I'm going to say. Have the last word if you like.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
fluff said:
Which bit of IT?

I enjoy the technical stuff the most - fewer idiots..
I started off in support, then Admin and support, then new media web management, now I'm an information manager/co-ordinator/marketeer/web developer. It's a great job. I love it. I actually look forward to coming to work on 70%+ of days. I get to boss around the deep techies too! :D

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Changleen said:
I started off in support, then Admin and support, then new media web management, now I'm an information manager/co-ordinator/marketeer/web developer. It's a great job. I love it. I actually look forward to coming to work on 70%+ of days. I get to boss around the deep techies too! :D
Ah, so what you're saying is that you don't actually 'do' anything. Good work fella.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
fluff said:
Still don't see your point - unless you're simply being insulting of course.
No, not being insulting, unless of course you are insulted by a cartoon on TV, in which case you are a twit. But you aren't insulted by a cartoon and you are by regular demonstration on this board, clearly not a twit.

I am being a smarta$$ and enjoying seeing the media show its a$$ once again. The method I chose was to illustrate the absurd, by being absurd. G funk apparently did not get it.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Damn True said:
No, not being insulting, unless of course you are insulted by a cartoon on TV, in which case you are a twit. But you aren't insulted by a cartoon and you are by regular demonstration on this board, clearly not a twit.

I am being a smarta$$ and enjoying seeing the media show its a$$ once again. The method I chose was to illustrate the absurd, by being absurd. G funk apparently did not get it.
I did not believe you were insulting me at least. Although without context that cartoon image could mean many things.

That the media gets it wrong on occasion is inevitable and in this case very upsetting for those involved. I do not understand why anyone would derive pleasure from any aspect of it.

Moving on to why the media works as it does, trying to get instant, exclusive and sensational reports could be seen as being driven by its audience. Attempts at thoughtful, measured, deliberate, accurate and insightful reporting have generally met with apathy and failure. Perhaps the public not only gets the government it deserves but also the media it deserves.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Bravo. Bravo, DT. What you are witnessing, folks, is the brilliance of the Republican machine, and its army of ignorant mouthpieces.

That DT would compare this media situation to Bush's lies is absolutely absurd, but even more absurd is the rest of you engaging in the argument, thus adding legitimacy to his claim whether you make a valid argument or not.

Example:
A:"The sky is blue, therefore panda bears are made of rubber."
B:"What? That's a ridiculous statement, not only are you wrong, but the two have nothing to do with one another."
A: "So you're saying the sky isn't blue? You're an idiot. Of course it's blue. Anyone can see that. I'm not saying the sky and pandas are exactly the same, I'm just calling it like I see it."

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
ohio said:
Bravo. Bravo, DT. What you are witnessing, folks, is the brilliance of the Republican machine, and its army of ignorant mouthpieces.

That DT would compare this media situation to Bush's lies is absolutely absurd, but even more absurd is the rest of you engaging in the argument, thus adding legitimacy to his claim whether you make a valid argument or not.

Example:
A:"The sky is blue, therefore panda bears are made of rubber."
B:"What? That's a ridiculous statement, not only are you wrong, but the two have nothing to do with one another."
A: "So you're saying the sky isn't blue? You're an idiot. Of course it's blue. Anyone can see that. I'm not saying the sky and pandas are exactly the same, I'm just calling it like I see it."
Oh good gawd. I would have thought that you, of all people would have gotten it.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Damn True said:
Oh good gawd. I would have thought that you, of all people would have gotten it.
No I do get it, but you don't.

I agree the media was wrong in this case. That's the "sky is blue" statement. But the sky has nothing to do with pandas.

And that's the beauty of this system. Conservative think-tanks throw out these talking points to their masses, who believe it makes them look smart and think they get they argument, but totally fail to see how they are being used.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Holy tin-foil hats batman!

I absolutely get it. I posted it.
Conservative think tanks? Please?!?! Chewbacca does not make sense!

Geez dude, it's a wise a$$ comment from a guy I know on another message board dedicated to ametuer road-racing.

Google it, nothing there. No vast right wing conspiracy.

Gentlemen, gentlemen. Relax your sphincters. The level to which you and G-funk have spun yourself up over this is far more amusing to me than the original post.