Quantcast

12 found alive! Uh, woops

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Damn True said:
Relax your sphincters.
Don't worry yourself. I'm not worked up over this one. I'm too busy laughing about how you think pandas are made of rubber...

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
OK, my point is proven. There's a war on, Americans and Iraqis are dying by scores or more every day, and the media is ultra saturated with the story of one horrible mining accident in WV??

WHAT THE **** IS WRONG WITH MY COUNTRY'S PRIORITIES???

This is a tragedy for a town and the families involved, who are now being exploited and morally raped for good primetime and morning TV as their grief is turned into a freakshow for all of us. Yet the things with enormous overarching implications for every American and the future of the world are conveniently put aside and no one cares or notices as we reach for the shiny tearjerker bauble that comes onto TV.

Goddamn, people...Sharon had a stroke, Iran is going ape****, and you're the same populace who thinks 9/11 was a sneak attack (in a strategic sense; obviously a masterful surprise in the tactical sense) when Bin Laden had been crowing about something like this for years, and even blew up embassies and ships as a prelude???

mother****ER sometimes people make me just wanna up and move to a cave somewhere myself. I love my country but sometimes I just hate people.

MD

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
MikeD said:
OK, my point is proven. There's a war on, Americans and Iraqis are dying by scores or more every day, and the media is ultra saturated with the story of one horrible mining accident in WV??

This is a tragedy for a town and the families involved, who are now being exploited and morally raped for good primetime and morning TV as their grief is turned into a freakshow for all of us. Yet the things with enormous overarching implications for every American and the future of the world are conveniently put aside and no one cares or notices as we reach for the shiny tearjerker bauble that comes onto TV.

Goddamn, people...Sharon had a stroke, Iran is going ape****, and you're the same populace who thinks 9/11 was a sneak attack (in a strategic sense; obviously a masterful surprise in the tactical sense) when Bin Laden had been crowing about something like this for years, and even blew up embassies and ships as a prelude???

mother****ER sometimes people make me just wanna up and move to a cave somewhere myself. I love my country but sometimes I just hate people.

MD
It's a dt thread

And while I share in your exasperation at the implication that the pimple is just one of many on the great ass of ignorance that is much of this country.............the topic was actually brought up by the anus. Staring at it too closely only makes the smell worse.

The Amish

Dumber than N8
Feb 22, 2005
Andyman_1970 said:
Yeah not good...............

I'm waiting for someone to blame it either one dubya (because of the supposed poor conditions of the mine tryin to make a profit at the expense of safety) or the democrats because their welfare policies don't get people out of having to work dangerous jobs or something like that..................:)
Well its a tragedy so you know someones head will have to roll. After all thats what we do best right? Point the finger at someone and then watch em squirm 24/7 on the cable news for the next 3 mo's untill something else happens that we can blow way out of proportion. Miners should just be gald they dont work in China. Put in perspective its definetly a horrible thing to happen but losing 12 men really isn't that bad.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
kidwoo said:
It's a dt thread

And while I share in your exasperation at the implication that the pimple is just one of many on the great ass of ignorance that is much of this country.............the topic was actually brought up by the anus. Staring at it too closely only makes the smell worse.
What exactly are you infering here?

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
that's the lowest blow I've heard in a long long time. Must be a total dagger... Going from the highest summits straight to the deepest pits of hell...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Useless barely related fact of the day. 20,000 Chinese coal miners die each year fueling Chinas booming economy. Yet another hidden cost to cheap imports.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
MikeD said:

MD
Wait until you've been in the game for 20 years, the hypocracy will really start to wear on you. The pundents and pro-party line idiots trying to revise history will really turn your stomach.

9/11 was all but inevitable since Reagan screwed to pooch in Lebanon, and missed the golden opportunity to kill the father of middle eastern terrorism. Bush I, further pushed it along when he managed to P*** off Osama, who was up until that time wasn't anti-U.S.. The first WTC van bombing should have been a warning sign. The U.S air-force trained against the 9/11 scenaro during the Clinton era. Richard Clarke warned Bush Al Queda was serious, and they ignored him.

What most people don't realize is Al Qaeda is winning. Not because of the physical damage they've inflicted, because of the moral damage. Every time someone is held with probable cause, without bail, without even evidence... the country loses a little bit of it's soul, and they win. Every time asshat decides to tap a phone line without a court order, our government loses a little bit of it's conscience, and they win. Every time an administration in power, violates the constitution, claiming the war is more important, the rule of law dies a little death, and they win. Every time the Arab media shows dead US soldiers in Iraq, the world sees us lose a little bit of our heart, and they win. 9/11 has succeeded beyond their wildest dreams, because we are destroying ourselves, all they have to do is survive long enough to see it happen.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Reactor said:
9/11 was all but inevitable since Reagan screwed to pooch in Lebanon, and missed the golden opportunity to kill the father of middle eastern terrorism. Bush I, further pushed it along when he managed to P*** off Osama, who was up until that time wasn't anti-U.S.. The first WTC van bombing should have been a warning sign. The U.S air-force trained against the 9/11 scenaro during the Clinton era. Richard Clarke warned Bush Al Queda was serious, and they ignored him.
Clinton's presidency was a major precursor to all the bull**** happening now, too. I think he was a major contributor to 9/11 (in line with most American chief executives, but he happened to be in the key place at the key time with the key bad decisions. The Somalia debacle, the missiles into the Sudan...impotent and counterproductive response to major challenges at the embassies and on the Cole... (We showed sailors CRYING on TV after that one. Brilliant...just brilliant...)

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
MikeD said:
Clinton's presidency was a major precursor to all the bull**** happening now, too. I think he was a major contributor to 9/11 (in line with most American chief executives, but he happened to be in the key place at the key time with the key bad decisions. The Somalia debacle, the missiles into the Sudan...impotent and counterproductive response to major challenges at the embassies and on the Cole... (We showed sailors CRYING on TV after that one. Brilliant...just brilliant...)
I didn't realise Clinton was responsible for the TV coverage...

On a more serious note I wonder what effect Iraq will have on future US foreign policy. I expect we will hear increasingly strident calls for full withdrawal of US troops as the losses continue and the perceived gain for each death decreases. The Somalia debacle caused a US withdrawal due to the lack of acceptance of US casualties on foreign soil, directly traceable to Vietnam. Will the losses in Iraq trigger a similar reluctance to commit troops abroad on questionable ventures again?

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
MikeD said:
I agree. Don't act surprised.

Every U.S. president in the last 25 years shares some of the blame, and Clinton is no exception. Blackhawk down/Somalia was a yet another boost to to terrorists, especially the way we bagged ass afterwards. The more you know and the longer you know it, the more the idiocy wears at you.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Damn True said:
LOL, they'll probably retract that in a few hours and blame it on Bush.
i agree with your argument here, although i think you run with it a little far, celebrating this odd victory.
My whole hope would be that the news would use this to focus more on news than political agenda. The way i see it, the more Fox pushes their obviously slanted agenda on the public, other news channels will respond by just slanting to the other side to compete for viewers. Again a more moderate audience will have more crap to wade thru from a tug of war of garbage coverage. Getting straight facts we'll have to buy special translators for our television to omit all the skewed slanted views of the supposed respective news outlets.

But then again if i wanted straight news i could watch C-Span, if i could stay awake thru 15 minutes of it.....

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
fluff said:
I didn't realise Clinton was responsible for the TV coverage...
The military has more than a heavy say in what the media gets to see and publish. Clinton was the CINC, and had a heavy influence on the media, and controls the SECDEF and SECNAV. Believe me, while there's certainly no Presidential approval on individual news pieces, the administration guides what's shown overall.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
MikeD said:
The military has more than a heavy say in what the media gets to see and publish. Clinton was the CINC, and had a heavy influence on the media, and controls the SECDEF and SECNAV. Believe me, while there's certainly no Presidential approval on individual news pieces, the administration guides what's shown overall.
That may be the case but I think the "never show emotion/weakness" argument is BS. What empowered the Cole bombers was nearly sinking a warship, not seeing some 20yo sailor cry on US news.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
dan-o said:
That may be the case but I think the "never show emotion/weakness" argument is BS. What empowered the Cole bombers was nearly sinking a warship, not seeing some 20yo sailor cry on US news.
Untrue, IMHO. There's always another US warship, and AQ knows that. What they're attempting to do is leverage US foreign policy via the "Somalia Syndrome," in that they know the US populace is easily swayed to action by inflicting casualties on US troops and having those casualties examined through a media microscope.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
MikeD said:
Untrue, IMHO. There's always another US warship, and AQ knows that. What they're attempting to do is leverage US foreign policy via the "Somalia Syndrome," in that they know the US populace is easily swayed to action by inflicting casualties on US troops and having those casualties examined through a media microscope.

What most people don't realize (but you obviously do) is that Terrorism isn't about sinking a ship, winning a battle. Terrorism is about spreading terror, and using terror as a weapon to change policy. The target is largely irrelevant, although some are quite symbolic, the action is to force changes in society and policy. It didn't matter if it was the USS Cole, a military barracks, or an Exxon living compound. The goal was to show Americans getting hurt, and make America think about leaving the Middle East.

Al Qaeda isn't just engaged in a war over terrain, it's engaged in a war over culture an policy. They win every time we diminish ourselves by violating the principles our country was founded on, changing our society for the worse. They win when we invade Iraq and show the world that when push comes to shove, were just as big a bully as any other country. They win when and people stop standing up for what is right and say "since 9/11 we....".

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
MikeD said:
What's your take on the impact of broadcasts like the 'Shock and Awe' media circus and 'Mission Accomplished' fiasco? Those pathetic attempts at bolstering support fuel the terrorist fire more than the weak anti-war protests to date ever will.

IMO people understand, even expect, that soldiers get killed. That doesn't spread terror. What spreads terror is non-sensical color codes, patting down infants at airports and Constitutional violations by a deceptive and insincere government.