Quantcast

12 volt air compressors

I have wound up inflating automotive tires with a floor pump a couple of times, and while the exercise is laudable, if I'm on the roadside and need to get moving, I want an electric compressor. I'm considering buying a Slime 40026 2X Heavy Duty compressor.

Who has 12 volt compressors, which ones do you like, and why?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I have a Harbor Freight clone of that fancy one. It's stood up to many years of admittedly occasional use.

I tried a 120V $40 one from Amazon last year for garage use but it was ineffective, very loud, and had low quality attachment hardware. It was returned posthaste.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I have a small Craftsman which I used to keep in the trunk. It works, sure, but it moves so little volume of air it takes a very long time to inflate a car tire.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
The Viair one is pretty good. My dad keeps that in his camper for use on the road. Never hurts to have that and a plug kit on road trips.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Kill two birds with one stone. Get one of those combo compressor/jumper battery deals. I got a cheap one online and it's lasted me a few years now. I just use it for emergency type situations.

The compressor isn't something you'd want to use all the time but it works in a pinch.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Build up a hose that can thread into a spark plug hole on your car, unplug the associated fuel injector. $10 in parts, will move a lot of air, can generate well over 100 psi.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Build up a hose that can thread into a spark plug hole on your car, unplug the associated fuel injector. $10 in parts, will move a lot of air, can generate well over 100 psi.
Won't the exhaust valve opening ruin it? I guess if you had a one way valve on it...