Quantcast

126mm rear wheels

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA
So I've always said I'd never get into road riding....mainly due to the fact that I wouldn't subject the viewing public to me wearing spandex. But I think I've been bitten slightly by the road bug. My gfriend is training for a sprint triathlon so I've been riding my single speed road bike with her.

I went to the recycle center this past weekend and randomly scored a free road bike in the 'metal' recycling area!! It's some early 90's (I think) Trek 330 road bike and from looking online it requires a 126mm rear wheel. Pretty sure the previous owner crammed a wider space wheel in there cause it doesn't fit w/out spreading the dropouts.

Just curious how difficult/rare it is to find a 126mm rear wheel with a 6/7 speed cassette? Been searching online and have had no luck so far. Thinking I might go back to the recycle center this weekend and see what else I can find, there were a ton of used bikes deep in the pile of junk.

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA
126 is not that hard to find. it will only 5,6 or 7 speed.
sweet, guess im looking in the wrong places then :) Yeah 6 speed is what I'm looking for actually. I'll hit up some local shops in the area and see what they have. Trying to not drop mad stacks on getting her running...so we'll see how it goes.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
126mm isn't too far from 130mm, especially in steel, which would open up a whole new world of options.
Most of what I have read says there is no problem spreading the drops on a steel frame from 126 to 130. If you're going to buy a new wheel, I'd consider this unless it requires buying all new parts and you want to avoid that.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
any local frame builder can spread the rear stays to 130 and we have plenty of them here in the Boston area to pick from. it won't do any harm to the frame at all if you do intend to do it.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Spreading the drops on a steel frame is easy if you have the right tools. Or just find a used 126 wheel, I'm sure someone you know has one in their basement somewhere.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
That works, but you can't deny that it's crude. There is a proper tool for the job. I don't see it on their website anymore, but the shop I work at has a Park tool (at least I think it's a Park) for spreading dropouts. And then dropout alignment gauges and a frame alignment gauge would be a good idea. There are ways around, but my point was more that if you're properly equipped, it's REALLY easy.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
I raced for a couple years on an old C'dale R400 w/ a 126mm spaced rear and 130mm Ultegra hubs jammed in there. Only time it sucks was trying to get a wheel from neutral support once. But, I don't think that's only your list of concerns.

-ska todd