Quantcast

12mm Ti axle

AlberTop

Monkey
Nov 30, 2004
South
I know Ti axles are commom in MX, but I have a friend using a 12mm axle on a Intense M1.

Is anybody using Ti axles in DH bikes? Where did you got it?

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i was looking for one to replace the steel axle in my tmx. the closest i've found is an m12x220 hex head ti bolt from yoyodyne (a motorcycle roadracing widget shop) for $60. None of the other ti bolt shops (racebolts, etc) have stock bolts long enough for the application. custom ti bolts are retardedly expensive. azonic makes a m12x180 aluminum through-axle (threaded both sides) thats about $40. on a vaguely-related note, check out these cool anodized ti springs from yoyodyne!

ride

Monkey
Jan 11, 2005
MY 04 sgs came stock w/a aluminum axle threaded on both ends. Try contacting Iron Horse. They probably have some for replacements.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Ti for this application seems like overkill. I've never heard of anyone bending a 12mm alum axle and I don't see how you could. Since alum is lighter that Ti anyways....unless you just want the bling

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
this is true. the azonic alu axle is too short for my frame (i need 200mm). i even looked for 12mm 7075 rod stock (i could thread the ends for nuts) to no avail. any ideas?

byo - you still working on the ti brake rods?

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
buildyourown said:
Ti for this application seems like overkill. I've never heard of anyone bending a 12mm alum axle and I don't see how you could. Since alum is lighter that Ti anyways....unless you just want the bling
well, considering alot of 12mm axles are steel to begin with...

toughguymagee

Pretty Boi
Jun 1, 2002
crackhouse down the street
xy9ine said:
this is true. the azonic alu axle is too short for my frame (i need 200mm). i even looked for 12mm 7075 rod stock (i could thread the ends for nuts) to no avail. any ideas?
I did that for an azonic that I had. I used steel stock, took the measurements, and went to a local machine shop to have the threads cut. The shop actually let me use their tools and charged me next to nothing to work in shop. I did it the hard way...a lathe would probably work best.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
The aluminum 12mm thru-axle on my SGS Team is 220mm long (shaft only, not the head), it has threads at one end and an 8mm hex socket at the other.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
buildyourown said:
Really? Every bike I have had with a TA had an alum one.
huh, everyone i've seen were steel...but maybe they were 10mm (exept for the S8). They were also center drilled tho (probably why you assumed overkill, they arent solid rods).

my bike uses a 200mm 12mm steel axle, 6.5mm center drilled with M8 tapped ends. Aluminum wouldnt cut it for my particular dropout setup.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
buildyourown said:
Here's an interesting aside -- after 2ish years, my thru-axle is un-bent. But the HUB axle (Ringle Abbah) is bent, quite noticeably. I'm still racking my brain trying to figure that one out....

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
DßR said:
The aluminum 12mm thru-axle on my SGS Team is 220mm long (shaft only, not the head), it has threads at one end and an 8mm hex socket at the other.
perfect! where would one find such an item? is there a good source for ironhorse small parts?

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
xy9ine said:
perfect! where would one find such an item? is there a good source for ironhorse small parts?
I can't think of anybody other than Iron Horse themselves. Or a machinist.