Quantcast

13 yo needs money!

RideRMB

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
'Da Hood
To get a new Double, I'll need to make like 1500 next summer and fall. Since I'm only 13 I'm kind of limited. So far I've heard about putting up posters to mow lawns and rake and such. Also heard about caddying(don't know what that means? Golf?) and working at a boat yard. Any other ideas? Please be serious about this. It's important to me.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
lawsuits seem to be a popular method of making money these days. Maybe get molested by one of your teachers??

Ok sorry had to get the jokes out of the way. BUt yea, you're pretty limited on your options. Child labor laws are pretty much working completely against you here. some places may be willing to take you on for a few hours a week - like10-15. Check out your local greenhouses (I worked at one when i was 14). Local swimming pools (concession area), things like that. good luck yo!

oh one more thing - props for being willing to put in some hours to get yer new toys, and not just asking the 'rents for money.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Paper route? My 15 y/o is mowing lawns, saving $$ for a new guitar.
He is doing as well as he wants to do. If he hustles, he can do well.
I caddied for a few summers. Its okay as long as you like golf (I dont) and can stand being around golfers (I cant.)
Can you bus tables
Work for cash as long as possible...

dirttastesgood

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2006
CT
walk peoples dogs. 8 bucks for half an hour, 3 dogs each walk, i'm lazy and i'm bringing in 200+ a week walkings dogs.

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
are there any chill local shops that will let you work directly for the double?

I mean your labor for their product?

Have them set out a schedule & detail how much you will be earning per hour.

Kind of "under the table"

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Throwing papers is about the only legit job a 13yo can get. I know it was when I was 13.
You have to check out your neighborhood and see what's not completely saturated. Around here, there is nor room for kids to do papers. They are all done by adults in cars with 30 routes.
Lawns: Some areas are dominated by pro landscaping services.

I know you can work for your family if you're underage.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
window washing- not to expensive to get the tools and can be transported via bike. every business and home has glass
hey, and you can bike joust inbetween job sites.

Extendable Stick = Lance
Bucket = Helmet
Sponges = Body Armor

I used to charge $1 for small windows, $2 for door sized windows, and $5 for giant windows. Used to hit up the used car lots and dealerships. If I did a good clean, quick job, I usually walked away with $20 for the entire business in less than 20min. Most places would even tip me $5 bucks or so. Get paid in advance and ask them to inspect your work after you're done. Then schedule them again for next week. On my best day I made $300

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
What kind of adult considers paper delivery a career choice? :disgust1:
15 years ago, when I had a paper route, I'd say half of the routes were done by adults in cars. Almost all of the bigger, more $$$ sundays too since you can't really carry 300 sunday papers on a bike.
In Seattle, I have never seen anybody other than a 30-40 yo asian in a crappy honda deliver a paper. I'm not being racist, that's just how it is.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
A few options:

Sell yourself to science.
Sell your soul.
Run a vegetable stand.
Go around collect aluminum cans and turn them into a recycling center.
See if you can be an errand boy for some elderly person who has a really hard time getting around.
Paint houses, fences.

CHOP

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Rivermont, Va
Seasonal work, it gets you past a lot of the child labor laws. Examples are working at a ski resort in the winter and at some type of lake, swimming pool, tourist attraction, or something similar in the summer.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
I just think it's cool that you want to earn the money!

Try these....they worked for me when I was around your age....

Mowing lawns (as others have said)

Washing the neighbor's cars. Noone likes washing their cars....

Recycling cans (it all adds up)

Pulling weeds. Noone likes pulling weeds either....

Hope this helps!

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
well you're to young to get an actual job so I think mowing lawns and helping folks out might be your only options...D

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Christmas tree lot. I bought a drum kit when I was 15 working part time in December at a lot. Helping haul out trees to people's cars and nailing on stands, etc. You make a little $$ and you get tips.

Mowing lawns. Harder to get this work this time of year.

Raking lawns - lot's of that still to do.

Collect free items on Craig's List and try to fix/sell them on eBay. (your parents will need to help w/ this one...)

bobushka king

Irontaint
Jun 26, 2007
keister stash drugs over the border....

or just ask you neighbors if they need any manual labo done. Not many places can/will hire someone of your age to work there legit, so you best bet is to mow lawns, paint fences, stain decks, rake leaves and shovel snow(if you live in the right area), or any other job that mot people don't want to or doon't have time to do. At your age I was working with a family friend preping rental houses.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
So my son spent an inordinante amount of time over at my uber hot neighbors (Single divored Mom, some kind of nurse or something) today, working on her lawn. When I asked him WTF?, he says "I just wanted to make sure I did a good job..."

I says, "Well done boy...":clapping::biggrin::thumb::rockout::banana:

BTW, he gets $10 per lawn, does 3 or 4 a week.

Haitiracers

Chimp
May 9, 2005
Reading, PA
Try local pool and spa stores. If you find one that is not too big or well known youll get paid under the table to clean hot tubs, sweep floors, take out trash...all kinds of store stuff. I started when I was fourteen doing that sort of thing and I ended up making a pretty sweet career out of selling hot tubs.