Quantcast

135 or 150 rear hub on ironhorse yakuza kumicho?

DHPeteinSC

Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
In the KY (jelly) E-town
earlier years like 2005 had 150mm spacing, but used a 135 because of the floating brake. What year is yours? Switching from the floating brake(crap anyways) to the standard 150 make the rear end much stiffer. Just be sure to have the wheel dished correctly.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
If you are not running a floating brake with a 135, and are using a straight 150 instead, the rear wheel needs to be dished 7.5mm to the drive side. This is a bit much, but my Deemax wheel held up all season set up like that.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
ok, so why wouldn't you want 135mm... The space between is smaller, making it a stonger area. It's like jumping on piece of wood between to chairs if you will. THe farther you move the chairs apart, the weaker the piece becomes. The closer you move it together, the stronger it becomes.

Again, am I right or wrong?

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Wrong! (if you're talking about the general principle of narrower hubs building stronger wheels)

physics & practical considerations = win

(There's a bit more going on with a wheel than putting a piece of wood across the hub flanges and jumping on it. )

DHPeteinSC

Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
In the KY (jelly) E-town
Ah yes, chainline issues! I have an 06 Kumichu and it took me weeks to get the chainline acceptable, but can be done with some spacers and free time. These issues are mainly because of 73mm BB. IH corrected the problem in 07 by going to an 83mm. Just takes a little time to get right, but mine is as near perfect for a DH bike as you can get.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Wrong! (if you're talking about the general principle of narrower hubs building stronger wheels)

physics & practical considerations = win

(There's a bit more going on with a wheel than putting a piece of wood across the hub flanges and jumping on it. )
Ok, haha. The reason I am so curious is because I'm buying a transition blindside maybe, it's in contention currently with a scott gambler dh 10 frame.

Anyways, the blindside's axle is 135mm. Could you please explain what else is going on briefly if possible? Thanks.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Ok, haha. The reason I am so curious is because I'm buying a transition blindside maybe, it's in contention currently with a scott gambler dh 10 frame.

Anyways, the blindside's axle is 135mm. Could you please explain what else is going on briefly if possible? Thanks.
In short, the rear wheel will be stiffer mainly due to the drive side spokes not having to be as vertical to the hub, allowing them to support the wheel itself better, latterally that is. On top of that, if your using a 12mm thru axle, you are also gaining some rigity from the axle itself.