Quantcast

14.8 kg Intense M3

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
He's running a 150mm rear disc............

Also it looks like the frame is a proto from 04 for miss quinn, that' weights 10.07 lbs.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
btw, anyone else notice that the quest for a light bike did not bring them to use an I9 wheelset... i wonder why?
I think he's using Tune components. Super light/expensive euro stuff that I've only seen on the Weight Weenies forum on MTBR. I fear the crankset more then anything though.

simon

Chimp
Dec 15, 2006
belgium
in my opinion the cranks and seat + seatpost won't hold on long if the bike is ridden properly.
They are xc intended:nerd:

retrofred

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
canyon country, Ca.
i think that he should put it test it out at northstar in tahoe. i don't even think it would make down the first run. frame no question, but the componets would litter the trail all the way down.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
That seat looks like the ones M2 makes. It's got a weight limit of 180 pounds....for road riding.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
What a pile. I like light bikes but that thing would suck anywhere other than mellow singletrack or fireroads.

Jorgen

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Oslo, Norway
He runs Nobby Nic tires. They are light, but there is NO WAY they hold on anything remotely similar to DH action. I have tried them on my RFX for trail-riding, but they are just too stoopid light. You either punture or you have no grip.

On a dh-bike it's not even silly.

It's "no" problem building a 15kg dh-bike if it doesn't have to be dh-worthy. This M3 is not dh-worthy, something will break or puncture on the first turn(maybe the second) :-D

For something to be built light, it must at the same time be able to do the task it is designed for. Maybe this bike as designed as a beachcruiser? :-D

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
yea, there are still some small areas he could shave a little weight, it doesnt look like he's even running a road casette, and he could cut he seat post, and what year boxxer is that? is it a boxxer?

Gelbwurstbrot

Monkey
Jul 31, 2004
Franken, Germany
cranks und saddle are strong enough for DH racing.
They are ridden by the multiple german DH champion Markus Klausman.

Titan botton bracket and carbon chain ring are weak, but not weaker than a DT 5.1 wheelset on an Ironhorse Sunday.

Tires are stupid on a DH bike. They just weigh 1300 g together.
But they are great Endurotires.

Bike will never see a DH track. It is just a study how light can a "DH" bike be.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
I'm sketched out about getting mine to low 38's / high 37's. I couldn't ride a 32lb bike, not for more than 1 race run.