Quantcast

14' Kona Carbon Operator Frame< I bought it !

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
Ive been very interested in this frame since last year. I see a lot of articles about this bike but no reviews. Is anyone riding one of these out there? Im sure it rides awesome but what about durability?

I like the geo numbers, very demo-ish with the long reach and short TT/CS numbers. I ride a Med Nukeproof scalp right now and it feels pretty good but I think a longer reach would feel better. The reach on the scalp is 390mm, the reach on the med Carbon operator is 420mm and much shorter chainstays.. I just play, I dont race.

Im 5' 10.5" w/34" inseam, Im pretty sure id stay on a med? what you guys think? Im always right inbetween sizes. I ride large frame for trail bikes.

Last edited:

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
well, i had a 2012 and am 5-11. Kona said i was at the cusp for a med and a large.

being used to having smaller frames, i went with a medium.. it was nice for jumping and moving around, but had i done it again, i would have went large for the high speed stuff (i felt like i would have been more comfortable and less cramped at high speeds). although i know someone who is 6-2 on a medium entourage and loves it, so i guess it just depends on rider and what you will be riding most of the time.

hope this helps.

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
I'm just 6' and happy on an ally large. The Aussie team guys all are about 5' 10" - 5' 11" and they all ride medium after trying the large.

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
Thanks you guys, i know sizing questions are kinda lame. Ya, it always falls to rider preference, cause some real tall dudes, ride some real small bikes sometimes..

With the longer reach measurement Im sure I'd go with a medium. It's my longs legs that really throw things off.. especially with trail bikes, i need a lot of seat post, so mediums usually don't work.

Frame on sale on pb right now for 2300, seems like a somewhat fair price.. considering other carbon frame prices.

Last edited:

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
i saw that one on pb.. cool that you can choose between medium and large.

although if you look at the driveside pic, it looks like the TT was banged up a little bit.. nothing too crazy, i just noticed it when looking for the frame.

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
well Crap.. I bought it.. She lowered the price to 2100 shipped and I pulled the trigger, now I gotta find some stuff to sell...

Super excited!! Only bummed about two things on the frame.. the bb and the 157 rear end.

The bottom bracket is a press fit so Im trying to understand all the different press fit options.
I have a GXP sram descendant 83mm right now that I would love to be able to use. Can I buy press fit GXP cups in the right width and use this crank?

I have the Nukeproof Generator DH wheels now with 12x150 rear width so I need the right spacers for the wheel to work. apparently out of stock right now..
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/nukeproof-syntace-conversion-kit/rp-prod65471
any other options?

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
Huge fun that is...

Anyone know if they make a press fit bb that works with the 83mm descendant cranks i have?

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
Thank you Thad, that helps a lot. I just wasnt sure about these different bbs/cranks, Konas website says 104.5mm width??

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
Wait, now I'm confused again.. pulled this from article about the kona carbon operator.

"Those who cringe at the mention of changing standards might want to stop reading now. Two slightly less obvious features are the bike&#8217;s PressFit 104 bottom bracket shell that, while using the same bearings employed in the more common BB92 setup, spaces them out at a wider stance to accomodate DH cranksets with 83mm spindles."

- See more at: http://www.etnariders.it/look-at-konas-2014-carbon-operator/?lang=en#sthash.KdPEZO0l.dpuf

Last edited:

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
Remove the plastic spacer in the middle. Voila, 104.5mm bb. The cups are the same for all widths. There is a comment in that link of a buddy running that bb with 83mm descendants.

Last edited:

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
Perfect, thanks again Thad, I'll get it ordered up..

now if i find the right caps for these wheels, I'll be able ride this frame.

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
Maybe i can just make some 3.5mm spacers for the rear axle, i have a friend that owns a lathe.

I'm 190lbs, you guys think I'd need a 400 or a 450lb spring? Where you get springs anyways? I'm not seeing them for sale

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
go 450.

i weighed 170 with everything on and a 400 lb spring was far too soft for my liking. again, this was on my 2012 operator, but i figured theyre not too far off from each other ;)

edit:
also, if you have any additional questions regarding the bb, or just whatever in general, kona has a support forum and will answer your questions within 24 hours! they helped me out with the sizing.

Last edited:

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
Here it is for now. Thanks for your help guys.. Id change some parts if I had cash, but im broke! gotta get this frame paid off. wheel spacers came back in stock at chain reaction so waiting for them to show up. Gotta order a zee brake hose and get it inside the frame too. It is right on the verge of being too short right now. Cant wait to ride this one. I might flip the shock around, to make it easier to adjust as well.. Then it will really look like a session..

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
With 2-2.5 turns on the shocks preload collar(after making spring just barely snug) and all settings open, i get bout an inch of sag, on the stock 350# spring. That would be bout 30%, the sticker on the Kona says to run it 32%. Im 200lbs loaded, the dh guy at the bike shop said to run the spring. what you guys think?

Last edited:

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
seems good to me, unless youre excessively blowing through travel on the trail. 2% is very small. i ran less than 30% sag in the rear when i had my 2012 operator.

they must have changed something between the alu and the carbon one though. my 2012 had a 400 spring on it and was way too soft. i weigh 170ish with helmet. my 185 lb buddy could get it to bottom on the tiny bunny slopes at our house/backyard without even leaving the ground.

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
ya they changed the leverage ratio for the 14 carbon. Its supposed to be more progressive off the top of the shock now, to keep it higher in its travel. A tuned 4 bar system..

I rode today for a bit. unfortunately I didn't have a lot of time. My first run down through some rough stuff was crazy, bike was so squirly, even my front end was behaving totally different. I had to pull over and add some high speed compression. It was better but still just not comfortable.. I was having a tough time controlling the bike through sections Ive practiced a lot and had no problems on the scalp. So I added more lo and high speed compression, gave the preload collar another turn and it became manageable but the shock became so stiff it lost its plushness feeling. Its got about 4- 4.5 turns on the preload collar now so, I called Fox and they said I was right at about 425# spring rate. so I ordered the 400# and hopefully I can use the air assist stuff to get it perfect. The owner of the shop I bought the frame from. also rides the carbon operator, he is 185lbs. He runs a 375# ti spring and says its perfect for him.

The geometry and the carbon stiffness felt great though. The short chain-stays are pretty sweet. definitely seemed to corner easier and way easier to loft the front end up.

Last edited:

Perlicitor

Chimp
Jun 10, 2014
Hey Guys,

I'm about to order this bike...But i'm wondering for the size because i'm 5 feet 8 (172cm)
Small or Medium ?
what do you think ? thanks.

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
hmm not sure about your size. It seems the Med Carbon operator is very similar to the geometry of the Demo. Maybe you can see what other guys your size are riding in Demo's to compare.

Im 5' 10.5" w34" inseam. The medium seems to fit me good, the long reach and short chain stays feel good, the TT seems a tad short but ill get used to it. I think the large would have been too big for me.

Last edited:

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
Always go bigger
I gave it a lot of thought.. i probably would have except the large seems quit big with 612 ETT, 451 reach, 608 stack.. also shop owner where i bought frame was my height, he said he preferred the med. Gotta make a choice as some point.. no one around here had them in stock so i couldn't test ride.

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
Been running the 400# spring and still bottoming out. A tech on the kona forum said i should run a 450 /500 spring with out a lot of sag.. I'm at 7/8" of sag on the 400 spring and he said that's to much.. even though it says 32% sag right on the frame . I guess I'll fork over another 35 bucks for a 450 spring and try it..

Also i have oil showing on the shaft of the rc4, is this somewhat normal is it leaking oil and needs fixed? I'll probably be calling Fox tomorrow..

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
sorry I didnt see this sooner.

I have been measuring it in the stroke length of the shock. I bought a 500# instead of the 450 and glad I did. It feels pretty good. I want to try the 550 just to see.. Im getting about 3/4" sag

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
oh ya the main bearings on the seat post are shot.. Took the shock out to change the spring and the suspension movement was rough and clunky.. Working on getting some bearings from Kona under warranty.