Quantcast

145 mile advice

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
You all gave tons of good advice last year before my first long ride. Doing the 145 mile again. A few questions:

Rode yesterday. Should I do more riding before Saturday? If yes when and how much?

What to eat the night before?

Besides that I will stick to the same plan as last year. Start out slow and pick up speed after 90 miles if I feel good.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've always been a fan of a nice balanced meal the night before with a light snack right before bed.

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
I rode a 150K (in 4:58:52 I might add) over the past weekend.

You can ride this week, just taper down your distance, keep your intensity the same. I didn't do any riding 2 days before my event. I did hydrate like a mofo in those 2 days.

The day before I ate granola cereal, a banana, a chicken ceasar salad with no dressing (lemons instead), 1/2 a quatro stagioni pizza and a beer. The morning of (around 6AM) I had a very small bowl of granola, some grapes, a banana, and a Cliff Bar at the start around 8:30.

I rode at a pace that kept my average just above 30K because my goal was to finish under 5 hours. I hit caffinated gels on the half hour and bars on the hour. I finished feeling good with gas in the tank.

YMMV

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I would ride the day prior to get the cobwebs out of your legs. This is more relevant when you're "racing", but I know how some of those organized rides turn out :) Make sure to eat, or take in gel, every hour. When I'm training hard I typically eat a bar an hour.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Yes, Ire is like to try to make it in good time. Its not a race but its fun to go fast and its suck to bunk on any trip. I did the gel thing like you said last year and it was a good addition to the food on the rest stops.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
You can ride this week, just taper down your distance, keep your intensity the same. I didn't do any riding 2 days before my event.
Had an amazing ride last night. The best I have felt in a long time and my speed was must higher than it has been. I feel ready and now its just time to relax and get the last details ready.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
I have nothing to add other than to ask if this is that ride from(to?) Montauk?

spam16v

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
Buffalo, NY
I'm doing my first century next saturday, got some gels off bonktown. My goal is to maintain ~17mph and do it in under 6 hours. Profile is flat as a pancake, it's for charity, not a race so it doesn't matter. Just trying to survive and enjoy the ride. Going to bring some bars and gels and see what happens. Where do people carry that much junk with them? Head tube bags, or jersey pockets stuffed?

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I'm doing my first century next saturday, got some gels off . My goal is to maintain ~17mph and do it in under 6 hours. Profile is flat as a pancake, it's for charity, not a race so it doesn't matter. Just trying to survive and enjoy the ride. Going to bring some bars and gels and see what happens. Where do people carry that much junk with them? Head tube bags, or jersey pockets stuffed?
When I use gel I keep it in my jersey pockets, but I also keep a zip lock bag for garbage.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Had a good ride. All on my own in just under 8 hours. At 90 miles the rest stop had only water due to a broke down truck which made the next 25 miles tough.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Had a good ride. All on my own in just under 8 hours. At 90 miles the rest stop had only water due to a broke down truck which made the next 25 miles tough.
Congrats! Does your a** hurt? 8 hours in the saddle is a good amount of time.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
No ass is doing fine too. I took a chance and went with my brand new Pearl Izumi bib which I had not written before. and they were really nice. Legs and knees are tired that is all.

Ire your advice with the GU saved me. When I got to the 3rd rest stop at 90 miles the truck with supplies had broken down and there were no gatorade. If I had not brought plenty of GU I would have been in bad shape. Still hurt my speed and I felt much better after the last rest stop where I was able to load up on supplies and Gatorade again and was able to finish strong.

Here I am at 62 miles feeling really good.

At the finish line enjoying some beer. Not the best post ride drink but that is what I felt like