Quantcast

150/160mm Lyrik to 170mm?

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
does anyone know if the lyrik rc models with the 150/160mm marks on the stanchions, can go up to 170mm with a new air shaft? Or are the stanchions to short? I bought the 170mm air shaft already, just don't know if stanchions are too short and hang out of the bushings.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Also.....there's a 150mm lyrik?
2018 Scout comes with a 150 Lyrik so they're out there.

It's the same CSU part number for all the Lyriks (different only by offset, wheel size and dual/solo air). So I'm gonna go with the "just change the air piston to 170mm and ride off the first drop real gently" school of thought.

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
Ok, I just looked at a parts list as well and saw the same numbers for lowers and stanchions. But the parts list is for 2016/17's.

This is a 2018 model so the 150mm lyrik might be a new thing! Also the air spring cap is different and instead of a socket cap, it takes a cassette ring tool to open the air spring. I'll get a pic.

I can measure the stanchions when I take it apart, to make sure they are still below the bushings. Not sure how much they are suppose to stick through. 10mm ain't much though..

Just thought I'd check with you guys before gong through the hassle.

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
Pretty sure they're a 'base' of 180.

You have the parts, just try it.

Also.....there's a 150mm lyrik?
I didn't know there was a 150mm lyrik either, until this one showed up on my tracer. I thought the lyrik was 160/170/180. That's what got me thinking, they might have two different stanchion sizes now with the 150/160 markings.

The stanchions are only 180mm long?

No way in hell that's meant to be a 180 or 170mm fork then.
Huh? I haven't measured the stanchions yet

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
Oh bad wordings. sry for confusion.

I just meant, im not sure how much they are suppose to stick through, when I do measure them. And 10mm isn't much either way. (That's what she said)

Last edited:

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
I wonder if the markings have more to do with the placement of the dimple than stanchion length? For the negative air spring.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The markings are for setting sag. If they have 150mm on there then they might be making different csus as mentioned already.

Take the lowers off and measure the stanchions. While apart measure the depth from the top of the fork seals to the bottom of the bushings. Put the 170mm shaft on and put the fork back together (and air it up).

Lay out a tape measure down the stanchions to the length that you measured while it was apart and see if they extend past where you measured the bottom of the bushings to be.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
The markings are for setting sag. If they have 150mm on there then they might be making different csus as mentioned already.

Take the lowers off and measure the stanchions. While apart measure the depth from the top of the fork seals to the bottom of the bushings. Put the 170mm shaft on and put the fork back together (and air it up).

Lay out a tape measure down the stanchions to the length that you measured while it was apart and see if they extend past where you measured the bottom of the bushings to be.

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
it's fine. they all have the same length stanchion and dimple location.

sag indicators can be ignored- they just can't fit 150/160/170/180 on the leg

Gallain

Monkey
Dec 28, 2001
Sweden
it's fine. they all have the same length stanchion and dimple location.

sag indicators can be ignored- they just can't fit 150/160/170/180 on the leg
And the air chamber is optimized for 180mm... or so they say...and by they I mean the lizard people. same with Pike. 160mm is the "normal" length.

At my shop we do lots of travel adjustments. Most of the 2017 Trek Remedy came with a 150 Lyrik and it really deserved an 160 fork.

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
thanks for everyone's help! I put the 170mm air shaft in the other day. Two rides on it so far, it feels great. I can't believe the difference that little 10mm makes. Now I'm used to it, but at first it, I could totally feel the difference in height, and geo change.. rode some mellow trails yesterday where the 170 isn't really needed and did a lot of climbing. Still felt pretty good. Rode some really rough, steep trails today and it was awesome.