Quantcast

16:9 - how come some movies just don't fill the screen?

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Different aspect ratios, your HD set is 16:9 ~ 1.78:1. Check the back of the DVD box it will usually say either 1.85:1 or 2.39:1 (the 2 most common). The 1.85 will fill your HD set where 2.39 will not unless you stretch it which looks horrible. Some older stuff on DVD (& std def broadcast) might be only 4:3 or 1.33:1 which gives you the vertical bars on either.

Do you mean they don't fit vertically? Meaning there are black bars on the top and bottom? Like Mike said that is because of the different aspect ratio. Movie theaters are wider than 16:9. If you are getting black bars on the sides or all around it must be how your tv or dvd player is set up. That is why I chose to watch Pirates on HBOHD rather than my dvd. HD looks much better than dvd. You don't get the black bars (which must mean they are cutting off the sides) and the resolution is higher.
yep - black bars on top and bottom - so what - everyone who has a 16:9 tv can't watch pirates unless they use the "stretch" feature? (which I did on the dvd player to watch it).

just seems odd.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
yep - black bars on top and bottom - so what - everyone who has a 16:9 tv can't watch pirates unless they use the "stretch" feature? (which I did on the dvd player to watch it).

just seems odd.
it's not that odd: most movies weren't shot in 16:9. the choice of 16:9 by the tv makers was arbitrary, and there _was_ debate of whether a 2.35:1 screen would be better to avoid this exact problem. 16:9 was felt to be an adequate compromise for both 4:3 "normal" content and movies.

it's not that odd: most movies weren't shot in 16:9. the choice of 16:9 by the tv makers was arbitrary, and there _was_ debate of whether a 2.35:1 screen would be better to avoid this exact problem. 16:9 was felt to be an adequate compromise for both 4:3 "normal" content and movies.
well I just meant odd for recent and very popular movies like Pirates to have this problem. 16:9 is the compromise and "the way of the future" I just would have thought that it wouldn't have been an issue.

There's a lot more to HDTV than just plugging it in and you're off! LOL

ps - it does say "2.35:1 - Enhanced for 16x9 television." Should they add to that - yeah, if you want black bars on the top and bottom?!

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Isn't the ratio of a 35mm film frame 16:9?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
maybe they should make the tvs in the same shapes as the movies. Well, not NOW that I've spent money on a new tv - but I'm just sayin.
Tvs have different standards as well. NTSC is 4:3, Pal is closer to wide screen. HDTV comes in different flavours, and none of them are the same. All of these are shot on video, movies are shot on film and are a completely different beast.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Are you sure about that? I used to work for a small video camera manufacturer, we'd test the camera modules with a high end sony video monitor that would automatically switch between PAL and NTSC, with the same lens the image displayed was identical between the PAL and NTSC. Maybe the monitor was making the adjustment and I never realized it, as far as I could tell aside from 50hz vs 60hz and some signals that are indistingishable without an oscilloscope NTSC and PAL are the same.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Are you sure about that? I used to work for a small video camera manufacturer, we'd test the camera modules with a high end sony video monitor that would automatically switch between PAL and NTSC, with the same lens the image displayed was identical between the PAL and NTSC. Maybe the monitor was making the adjustment and I never realized it, as far as I could tell aside from 50hz vs 60hz and some signals that are indistingishable without an oscilloscope NTSC and PAL are the same.

100% positive, both the resolution and aspect rations of PAL and NTSC are different. NTSC is the standard 648x486 you are used to, whereas pal is 720x486. Slightly more widescreen, different shaped tv screen.

"The term "PAL" is often used informally to refer to a 625-line/50 Hz (576i, principally European) television system, and to differentiate from a 525-line/60 Hz (480i, principally North American/Central American/Japanese) "NTSC" system"

This means that PAL is 24 frames a second, vs 29.97fps from NTSC. These are different due to the different electricity systems available in different geographic locations and the vaccuum tubes tvs were originally designed with.

On top of that, the way the signals are actually encoded/decoded is completely different.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
fraser, i think the pixels aren't the same shape in pal/ntsc, thus the same aspect ratio at different resolution.

silver, no, 35mm film is 3:2 (whereas point and shoots are 4:3 usually, easy way to spot the amateur ;) )

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
silver, no, 35mm film is 3:2 (whereas point and shoots are 4:3 usually, easy way to spot the amateur ;) )
Yeah, the actual frame is, but what about the usable space once you account for audio tracks...I could have sworn I had an engineer tell me once that's where the 16:9 ratio came from...but I may be misremembering a drunken conversation at a trade show 5 years ago :)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
interesting. i always thought that audio and subtitles were encoded in the blank space between frames. i do know that for 35mm film cameras and their dSLR wannabes the ratio is actually 3:2

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
That should be for solid pixels that are turned on as the same color for long periods of time. I've never heard of black parts of the display causing issues, which is why I asked.
*shrugs*

It's possible that the black bar areas won't age at the same rate. That concerns some people.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
It is about aging the screen. Some areas will stay brighter than others etc. This only really matters on certain types of sets however, I watch regular TV like this all the time, and am not worried. This will not affect LCDs, but can affect plasmas, especially cheaper ones.

Also, HD networks should be fullscreen unless they are showing non HD content. I dont have HBO, so not sure if they show non hd stuff on hbohd. The networks do most of the time.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
so let me ask this.... last night i sat down to watch big love on hbohd-and i had black bars on the top & bottom. it's not good for the tv to watch it like that - does everyone have this problem or am i doing something wrong?
does your set have display modes, like zoom, justification, etc?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
so let me ask this.... last night i sat down to watch big love on hbohd-and i had black bars on the top & bottom. it's not good for the tv to watch it like that - does everyone have this problem or am i doing something wrong?
If you broke in your set properly, you'll have no problems. Assuming you're running a plasma here...