Quantcast

165mm vs. 170mm cranks on bikes with low BBs

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
Last season I was on 170mm cranks on my sunday. This year i run a set of 165mm ones but did not feel such a huge difference.

Of Course the clearance is a little bit better but on the other hand I felt more comfortable out of corners on the 170 mm ones.

Now that i bend my cranks i maybe will go back to 170 mm ones - what do you think?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Ride what Sam rides.

But seriously, I think 165mms are a bit too short for me and they very well could be for you. Go with whatever you liked best.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
i moved from 170s to 165s on a sunday and cool tell big difference since it allowed me
to pedal in sections i previously couldnt
and definately banged my pedals less

its all personal preference if you feel more comfortable with better cornerning in sacrifice for clearance go for that

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
Ride what Sam rides.

But seriously, I think 165mms are a bit too short for me and they very well could be for you. Go with whatever you liked best.
i rode the same crank that sam rides but after the first crash its bend.......:plthumbsdown.

I am a tall guy too, so maybe that's why i liked the 170mm better......

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Im 5 10 and really prefer my 170s over 165s. Ive hit about the same amount as I did with 165s last season and i switched to a bike with a bb 1.5 inches lower when I changed my cranks. All about comfort.