Quantcast

16lb $800 Crit Slayer done!

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Just finished building it up...a frame that actually fits me! Kind of got caught in a bind with a sponsor/hookup, so I went ahead and built this up on the dirt cheap. Total cost, including the parts I transferred over from my old frame is around $800 or less.

Bathroom scale says 16-17lbs. The frame (Kinesis-built Columbus Airplane tubing branded as now defunct Fetish Cycles) rides shockingly well for what it is. I was expecting the same harsh ride as my Klein Quantum, but it's actually quite pleasant. Not quite as damp as carbon, but my 22 y/o ass doesn't mind. Not quite as stiff as the Klein under hard acceleration, but the added length of the frame lets me open up and really stomp on it. Snagged it for $100 new on eBay, promptly removed most of the hideous die-cut vinyls.

Could ditch another lb or so with light cockpit stuff (it's all generic alloy cheap stuff), but I'm quite happy with it as it stands. Lightest roadie I've owned yet.

Oh yeah - shockingly, FSA front derailleurs SUCK. I guess I can't bitch for $5 new, but...yeah. Loving going back to compact cranks ($20 on eeeebaaaayyyy!). Point of entertainment: the drivetrain uses parts from every drivetrain manu (Campy, SRAM, Shimano), yet still shifts quite well.

Oh yeah - anyone want a 1999 56cm Klein Quantum Race? :D

Last edited: