Quantcast

17 more days till N* opens!!!!!!

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Its kinda like one of those Advent calanders at Xmas, you get to open a little door each day to get the candy and count down till Xmas day comes. It would be cool if eveyday you get a bike part till N* opens.:p

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Hmmm....Plattekills been open since the first weekend of may:D

East coast baby:devil:

not that I'm bragging or anything

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by Lexx D
Hmmm....Plattekills been open since the first weekend of may:D

East coast baby:devil:

not that I'm bragging or anything
Yeah but northstar has good trails.......and more than two of them.

and the rare sierra beer shrub that flowers all summer long, and nekkid woodland fairies, and a free corvette and moustache trimming after every run...............ahh west coast baby.......

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Originally posted by kidwoo
Yeah but northstar has good trails.......and more than two of them.

Yeah that's it platty only has two trails:p I don't even know what to say about that comment.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Take it about as seriously as the other comments...........

I've never been there.
Ahh, you should try it some time:D I was just messing around anyway.

MVRIDER

Monkey
Sep 23, 2003
Mtn. View, Ca.
Anyone know of camping on 267? I've heard there's a small campground near the Martis creek, sorta near the Northstar golf course? Can anyone give specifics??

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by MVRIDER
Anyone know of camping on 267? I've heard there's a small campground near the Martis creek, sorta near the Northstar golf course? Can anyone give specifics??
There's an old logging road that has been paved on both sides of 267 that follows the ridgeline behind northstar. If you follow it west, there is a nice lake (Watson Lake) you can camp by as well as other primitive camping areas. Same for heading east but with no lakes.

What's camping? Sleeping in a tent and using a water filter or taking a shower in your RV?

D

Dingus McGee

Martis Creek campground is 'improved' but camping at Watson Lake would pretty much rule.

-GOOGLE- Description - Martis Creek Lake, located in the Sierra Nevada Mountains near Lake Tahoe, was created upon the completion of Martis Creek Dam in 1972. The dam, 113 feet high and 2,670 feet long, holds back a lake with a capacity of 20,400 acre feet of water. When full, its surface covers 770 acres. The dam and lake provide flood protection and serve as a future water supply source for the city of Reno. The lake, operated by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, also provides a focal point for a host of recreation activities.

Attractions - Visitors to Martis Creek Lake can enjoy an assortment of recreations. Due to winter weather conditions, the park is closed November 15 through the last Saturday in April. The park office, located at Englebright Lake, is open all year.

Twenty-five campsites are available on a first-come, first-served basis at the Alpine Meadows Campground. Two campsites are universally accessible and are available for reservation by calling the park office.

No motorized (gas or electric) boats are permitted. Martis Creek Lake was the first "catch and release trophy trout" lake established in California. Varieties include rainbow, brown and lahonton cutthroat trout.

Picnicking facilities, fishing access, interpretive displays and portable restrooms are available at the Sierra View Recreation Area. Hiking trails are nearby throughout the 1,050-acre Wildlife Management Area. Cross-country skiing and wildlife viewing opportunities are available.

Leashed pets are permitted. Golden Age and Golden Access passports are accepted for a 50% discount on single unit fees. Golden Age cards may be purchased with proof of age (62) and American citizenship.

Recreation - Paddling, day hikes, picnicking, camping, wildlife viewing, and fishing are the predominant outdoor pastimes enjoyed on and around Martis Creek Lake.

Climate - The Martis Creek Lake area generally experiences warm, dry summers and cold, wet winters. Weather can change rapidly during all seasons of the year. Elevation plays a major role in temperature and precipitation. Most precipitation falls from October through April. At higher elevations, it comes mostly in the form of snow. Clouds can build up during the summer to produce spectacular thunderstorm activity. It is wise to pack for any season with clothing that can be "layered," ready to peel off or add on as the thermometer dictates. Always include some kind of rain gear.

Location - Martis Creek Lake is located six miles southeast of Truckee, California, off State Route 267.

MVRIDER

Monkey
Sep 23, 2003
Mtn. View, Ca.
There's an old logging road that has been paved on both sides of 267 that follows the ridgeline behind northstar. If you follow it west, there is a nice lake (Watson Lake) you can camp by as well as other primitive camping areas. Same for heading east but with no lakes.

What's camping? Sleeping in a tent and using a water filter or taking a shower in your RV?
Tent camping/hanging shower. I'm mainly trying to avoid forking out for a motel, but I don't really like the campgrounds in the Tahoe basin, they're pretty discusting these days ( you could probably catch SARS in the showers!!:eek: ) I may hit up some of the USFS sites along 89, just to be by the river. Can you have camp fires by Watson lake?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by MVRIDER
Tent camping/hanging shower. I'm mainly trying to avoid forking out for a motel, but I don't really like the campgrounds in the Tahoe basin, they're pretty discusting these days ( you could probably catch SARS in the showers!!:eek: ) I may hit up some of the USFS sites along 89, just to be by the river. Can you have camp fires by Watson lake?

Yeah "campground" to me means a rockless pad to put my tent on and a body of water to jump in to wash off sweat. I don't know anything about drive in campgrounds around here for obvious reasons.

Martis creek reservoir will be crowded with RVs, satellite dishes and "sportsmen" fishing in a fishless pond. Watson lake is cool but might have the mosquito issue early in the summer. I can give you a report closer to when northstar opens. There are several good xc rides that go right by watson lake I'm on a few times a week. If you sleep in a tent, there are literally millions of places to crash out, well out of earshot of any humans.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
the ride down "elevator shaft" heading down from watson lake towards tahoe city/cedar flat is fun. you'd probably want a shuttle to get back up though.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by dfinn
the ride down "elevator shaft" heading down from watson lake towards tahoe city/cedar flat is fun. you'd probably want a shuttle to get back up though.
You people and yer gawdam trucks.:rolleyes: ;) :p

Seriously. Please do not start shuttling the trails in that area. The forest service has been on a rampage the last few years killing trails that have been there for a long time. This has mostly been due to people riding big bikes conspicuously to drop ins off the fiberboard freeway. (ie elevator shaft and a few other ones I hope to god you're not shuttling).

That's a very sensitive area and I've had a lot of mine and other's hard work wasted because of people not having the subtlety of mind to use a derailleur and a small bike.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
ha, wasn't me. i earned my turns that day. parked at 267 and then rode home, using my little bike. Doesn't really seem like a worthwhile shuttle run to me but to each there own i guess.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Lets focus on the main issue here kids. Plattekill is many many miles away, and this thread is about N* so keep the Platty sh*t to the New Yorkers.;) :D :devil: :cool:

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
You got that one right:thumb: and we smell better:D
Why thank you Brian. Good grooming is important to me. I'm happy that you noticed.

Hopefully I'll be present at the opening. If so, ya'all will be witness to some REALLY EPIC good news in my life.

Can't post it on the net, but if I'm able to make it there, you'll see.

MVRIDER

Monkey
Sep 23, 2003
Mtn. View, Ca.
Yeah "campground" to me means a rockless pad to put my tent on and a body of water to jump in to wash off sweat. I don't know anything about drive in campgrounds around here for obvious reasons.

Martis creek reservoir will be crowded with RVs, satellite dishes and "sportsmen" fishing in a fishless pond. Watson lake is cool but might have the mosquito issue early in the summer. I can give you a report closer to when northstar opens. There are several good xc rides that go right by watson lake I'm on a few times a week. If you sleep in a tent, there are literally millions of places to crash out, well out of earshot of any humans.
Sounds good. Thanks for the info.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
I just ordered my pass and I was on the Norhstar website...here is the description of the mtn bike park and a picture...

Mountain bikers can find terrain for all abilities at Northstar-at-Tahoe, home to Northern California's largest mountain bike park. More than 100 miles of trails, including technical single track, wind along ridgelines and through pine forests. For those who prefer the downhill thrill to climbing, Northstar's mountain bike park is now serviced by our high speed Gondola. Mountain bike enthusiasts can now reach mid mountain in less then 15 minutes. These views aren't exclusive to extreme sport lovers only. Guests can take the whole family by foot on a scenic tour of the mountain with spectacular lake views from the top of the Vista chairlift.

Attachments

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by dh girlie
I just ordered my pass and I was on the Norhstar website...here is the description of the mtn bike park and a picture...
Man I feel so sorry for families I see there taking advantage of the "learn to mountain bike" packages. Even the flat stuff there would turn me off to the whole sport.

Heard from vista numerous times
Husband: "just go around the rocks honey"
Honey: "it's ALL rocks!!!"

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Man I feel so sorry for families I see there taking advantage of the "learn to mountain bike" packages. Even the flat stuff there would turn me off to the whole sport.

Heard from vista numerous times
Husband: "just go around the rocks honey"
Honey: "it's ALL rocks!!!"
HAHAHA! No shi t....I would also like to introduce all those tools that say dhing makes you a lazy fatass riding a couch down a hill to some trails at Northstar...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
HAHAHA! No shi t....I would also like to introduce all those tools that say dhing makes you a lazy fatass riding a couch down a hill to some trails at Northstar...
Wish I could but I can't be seen in public because my bike is not quite the right color. I can only ride at night until I can afford to get it fixed.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
As a matter of fact, I am one of those tools.

Look westy, get it together and maybe I'll be seen with you this summer. Until then, you are right to hang your head in the cover of nocturnal outings.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California

Mountain bikers can find terrain for all abilities at Northstar-at-Tahoe, home to Northern California's largest mountain bike park. More than 100 miles of trails, including technical single track, wind along ridgelines and through pine forests. For those who prefer the downhill thrill to climbing, Northstar's mountain bike park is now serviced by our high speed Gondola. Mountain bike enthusiasts can now reach mid mountain in less then 15 minutes. These views aren't exclusive to extreme sport lovers only. Guests can take the whole family by foot on a scenic tour of the mountain with spectacular lake views from the top of the Vista chairlift.
But the $1,000,000 question still remains........How quick can you get me the frame & parts to rebuild your bike.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
You too:confused: Maybe the color of my bike isn't right:think:
Mine is gunmetal grey, most horrible. I am trying to track down someone who can make it a nice slate grey.