Quantcast

170s?

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
I've been riding 175s for a long time and I got a set of cranks I want to run on my trail rig that happen to be 170s. Any of you guys made the switch and noticed anything? I want be doing any epic all day stuff, I don't think. Just wondering if it's going to be anything noticeable???

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
I'm not sure how tall you are, but from a spinning and clearance perspective 170's are great. True you loose some leverage, but unless you're trying to blast out of a starting gate BMX style, the spinning advantage will increase your overall speed. For every 5mm crank increase, your entire leg (since it becomes a giant leverarm) moves 15 centimeters, this means you have to expend much more energy the faster you spin, increasing your lactic acid. Track sprinters have run 165's and 170's for years because they are easier to spin. The extra clearance on rocks and through turns doesn't hurt either. You should at least try them and do your own experiment. Let the forum know how you make out.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Mr Tiles said:
I've been riding 175s for a long time and I got a set of cranks I want to run on my trail rig that happen to be 170s. Any of you guys made the switch and noticed anything? I want be doing any epic all day stuff, I don't think. Just wondering if it's going to be anything noticeable???

Hey if your 170s are LX equivalent - I'd do a swap with you for some 175mm LX cranks. I'm lookin to get some 170s to run on my Karate Monkey to help with rock clearance and toe overlap issues.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
they are diabolus cranks Mark. I'm going to run with them I think. They are 100 grams lighter than my profiles and I'm trying to lighten up the trail bike. Profiles and light don't belong in the same sentence regardless of context.

Thanks for the info spinteck - it makes sense.

Somewhat related: anybody know where I can pick up an crank arm extractor for the x-type cranks?

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Mr Tiles said:
they are diabolus cranks Mark. I'm going to run with them I think. They are 100 grams lighter than my profiles and I'm trying to lighten up the trail bike. Profiles and light don't belong in the same sentence regardless of context.

Thanks for the info spinteck - it makes sense.

Somewhat related: anybody know where I can pick up an crank arm extractor for the x-type cranks?

I know you bought the Diabolus's all ready. But a $60 ti spindle would have made the Profiles lighter than the Diabolus's

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
i think you'll be fine franky. i run 175's on my ss and 170's on the morewood and switch between bikes. which bike you switching cranks on? if it's the bike i think it is, you'll probably be spending more time getting used to the different geometry, rather than crank length.