Quantcast

175mm saints on a demo?

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
You can run Saints on a Demo - but 175mm?

That's a bit long for DH use. I run 170mm Holzfellers on mine and I can get over rocks and boulders w/ them most of the time. It becomes really apparent in corners.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
Grab a tape measure and have a look at what 5mm really is. I'm betting if 175's hit, so would 170's or even 165's. The 10mm difference is the size of a very small pebble.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
I can't think of a single DH racer that uses 175mm cranks in competition. Every company I know of doesn't spec 175mm cranks on DH bikes for a reason - they're too long. For trailbike use they are great for extra leverage on uphill climbs, but for DH not very practical. You could do it if you wanted to, but I'm not sure if the results would be very promising.

I used to think 5mm isn't reallt all that much, but in a corner at high speed in a DH run w/ your suspension going crazy, compressing and rebounding off of obstacles, those cranks get mighty close to the ground.

Mr. Furious

Monkey
Jul 23, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I've got 175mm saints on my Demo 8 and I tagged them on rocks and things... on the otherhand I believe it's mostly rider error.. I haven't been out of my office chair for over 6 months and I was beat down after climbing to the top of the hill on a night ride..

You're probably fine with the 175s

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
You guys are confusing the hell out of me.
Everybody says that XT and Saints cranks will not work on a Demo.
Yet there are a ton of people running them.
Is everybody just running a jacked up chainline or what?

Chimponarope

Chimp
Feb 11, 2006
UK
A friend of mine just put Saints on his 8 and his chainline works fine so far (looks good too with the ano brown :) ). I've never managed to figure out if the Saints will work the with Demo 9 though (even Specialized didn't know when I asked them :rofl: ), I get confused with the M800 being the right BB width but the M805 supposedly for 150mm back ends :help: .

As for the length, I'd go 170 at the longest I've smacked my pedals more than enough times (actually dragged a rock out the ground with my foot and it hurt like hell), I'll go 165 next time for my Demo 9 just for that little extra clearance.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
JeremyR:

Saints will work on a Demo 8 because of the longer spindle that comes w/ them - can't remember the part # though. XT's aren't designed for the same chainline as a Demo 8, unless you punch out the factory spindle and press in a new longer one, OR ride w/ a sh!tty chainline.

I tried to put XT's on my Demo 8 last year, but the problem was that in order to get a good chainline, I had to space out the BB cups to the point where the outer pinch bolt on the non-drive side crank arm wouldn't engage over the spindle as it went through the crank. I didn't want to risk the possibility of snapping off the end of the spindle on a rock or hard landing, possibly breaking my leg, so I got rid of em'. Demo 8's need an "Actual Chainline" of 55mm - the XT's are only good for 50mm.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Jeremy R said:
Here is a pic of 2 Demos, one with XT's and one with Saints.
the true irony of it being that Jeremy has Herndon's phone # on speed dial...and knows that I have their product manager's email address. So basicly....Jeremy knows who has the answer...he just won't ask them.... :oink:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
bizutch said:
the true irony of it being that Jeremy has Herndon's phone # on speed dial...and knows that I have their product manager's email address. So basicly....Jeremy knows who has the answer...he just won't ask them.... :oink:
3 steps ahead of you.
Now go molest mulch all day tomorrow while I ride.:rofl:
I can laugh now, but the "time" is approaching quickly.:help:

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Yeah - that's what I'm running on my Demo 8 right now - they are the stock ones that came with my bike. The Demo 8 has an "Actual" chainline of 55mm so they work fine.

I spoke w/ Herndon about fitting XT's on a Demo 8... let's just say you don't want to try doing what he did. :)

It's totally safe, and works really well though - but, not recommended.