Quantcast

18 minutes

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
In the past 26 hours, I've slept a total of 18 minutes. Not really conducive to my current workout sched or my sanity, but I just have to make it till 6:30pm. Since breakfast yesterday, I've downed 2 Roasted Rockstars (light of course), 2L of mountain dew, 3 servings of cytomax, and about a gallon of green tea.

Fcvk... this is gonna be a long day. Stupid work is gonna be the death of me... I know it.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Two days ago I managed to squeak out about 2 hours of sleep before insomnia woke me up. the next day I felt awake, wired even. But by mid day I couldn't complete a sentence, or organize anything. I seriously felt like I was watching myself from out of my body. Get some sleep caffiene is no substitute.

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
Been there for work as well. It happens every 7 weeks for me when I'm on call. I'm usually good up to around 40 hours in a row. The worse part is it really messes with my stomach.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I've gone through a pack of Rolaids Soft Chews already. Been gassy like a motha effa. I ripped on a minute ago and punished myself. I had to run away from the stench. Longest I've stayed awake was 83 hours, found myself in the back of a 5ton of a different unit back at base. (5 ton = type of military cargo truck).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
for the next year i'll be on call for 30 hours (as in 6AM one day to noon the next)... every 4th day on average. this isn't wimpy home call, either -- in hospital, on the floor, in the OR.

:(

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
for the next year i'll be on call for 30 hours (as in 6AM one day to noon the next)... every 4th day on average. this isn't wimpy home call, either -- in hospital, on the floor, in the OR.

Yeah but they can't make you work for more than 24 hours straight, right? So it's not that bad.

:monkey:

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I've done a couple of 21 or 22 hour marches/hikes out of places with the 65lbs of gear. By the end of it I was throwing up pretty regular, off on my own planet for maybe the last hour or so of it.

The wife the other day brought home an article put out by either the AMA or a Congressional study that said after 20 hours on your feet as a doc you make decisions on par with someone who has a BAC of .11. Now color me silly, but I don't think I would want my doc cutting on me at a .11. If you can't drive, you can't cut.

She did the 40 hour call deal for the first month of her internship, on a q4 schedule. I finally got tired of waking up to the sensation of worrying she might have eaten a guard rail somewhere, so I started being her shuttle.

I really wish a lot of places would stick to the spirit of the 80 hour week for doctors...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Yeah but they can't make you work for more than 24 hours straight, right? So it's not that bad.

:monkey:
Sorta: can't admit new patients after 24h but still have to manage/tidy up the batch that was admitted or operated on up until that point in that last 6h.

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
In the past 26 hours, I've slept a total of 18 minutes. Not really conducive to my current workout sched or my sanity, but I just have to make it till 6:30pm. Since breakfast yesterday, I've downed 2 Roasted Rockstars (light of course), 2L of mountain dew, 3 servings of cytomax, and about a gallon of green tea.

ultranoob you should down all this crap before your race run maybe it will help you.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified

Where will you be assigned? Keeping tabs on your original thread became too much work, or it went past the first page in The Lounge. Either one.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Where will you be assigned? Keeping tabs on your original thread became too much work, or it went past the first page in The Lounge. Either one.
Everything starts or ends within a few weeks of July 1:

2008-2009 University of Washington general surgery, Seattle
2009-2013 Nassau University med center radiology, long island (east meadow for da locals)

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Just got back from my grandma's funeral. Been to quite a few funerals before but never sleep deprived. I was getting this eerie feeling the entire time. I swear I saw the dirt infront of a grave marker bulge up for a sec. Coming to the 36hr mark. I'm gonna sleep like a brick tonight!

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Everything starts or ends within a few weeks of July 1:

2008-2009 University of Washington general surgery, Seattle
2009-2013 Nassau University med center radiology, long island (east meadow for da locals)
That's great to hear. Congratulations and good luck!

Assuming you're available...I was at the hospital this past Tuesday night and saw a "patient care technician" (aka nurse's bitch) who helped me out last month. Somehow we got onto the topic of women and he was telling me that hospitals are goldmines for horny women. Apparently female doctors in their early 30s and young nursing students create a deadly combination. Let us know how it works out for you.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
That's great to hear. Congratulations and good luck!

Assuming you're available...I was at the hospital this past Tuesday night and saw a "patient care technician" (aka nurse's bitch) who helped me out last month. Somehow we got onto the topic of women and he was telling me that hospitals are goldmines for horny women. Apparently female doctors in their early 30s and young nursing students create a deadly combination. Let us know how it works out for you.
:happydance:

i also got engaged a few months back (to a music teacher! nice to get away from the field), so there will be no prowling of the hallways by me...