Quantcast

18H tubular aluminum rim?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Does anyone make an 18 hole tubbie aluminum rim?

My Zipp is dead, Zipp won't do a crash replacement on it, and I'd like to put a set of aluminum tubulars on the AC hubs I've got for training purposes.

Halp?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
You still aren't going to have an easy time finding a 16 hole rim. Dump that thing. It's an albatross and a white whale all rolled into one.
18! ENVE makes one. Then I'd have an excuse to get a rear rim too and be happy as a clam.

A clam with an extra (useless) set of Zipp rims. It's kind of entertaining how sh!tty they are compared to Reynolds and ENVE. I guess it's proof that Utah>Indiana.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
18! ENVE makes one. Then I'd have an excuse to get a rear rim too and be happy as a clam.

A clam with an extra (useless) set of Zipp rims. It's kind of entertaining how sh!tty they are compared to Reynolds and ENVE. I guess it's proof that Utah>Indiana.
Or it's evidence that people in UT aren't smart enough to run Zipp rims.

I don't see them melted down around here.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
I just ordered some 101s.

Just thought I'd share.

Once them 404 Firecrest tubies are available, I'll be getting some of them, too.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Or it's evidence that people in UT aren't smart enough to run Zipp rims.

I don't see them melted down around here.
My LBS gets a ton in for crash replacement. Not so with Reynolds or EDGE. I had a friend in the Bay destroy a Sub 9 and 808 together after glancing the low concrete lip of a manhole cover last week in a TT. I'm less than sold on Zipp durability, especially since they only offer crash replacement on wheels, not rims.

The 101s do interest me, though.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
My LBS gets a ton in for crash replacement. Not so with Reynolds or EDGE. I had a friend in the Bay destroy a Sub 9 and 808 together after glancing the low concrete lip of a manhole cover last week in a TT. I'm less than sold on Zipp durability, especially since they only offer crash replacement on wheels, not rims.

The 101s do interest me, though.
It's not designed to be strong enough to smack square edges like a manhole cover. It's designed to be strong and fast in it's intended application.

Crash replacement is because something ordinary happened.

Warranty is for things that are Zipps fault. Just sayin'.

Dustin...the Firecrest clincher looks like a tubular with a tire mounted.

I'm hoping to get some 101s to try in the next few weeks. S30s are pretty impressive looking too. They would match the badass Sram socks Jolly gave me. :D

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
I've seen too many broken spokes on the SRAM wheels to consider them anything but money out of the window or OEM.

blue, I see a few Zipp crash replacements, but we also sell 7 pairs of Zipps for every 1 pair of Reynolds....I can't even remember we sold our last pair of Reynolds. I've sold 3 sets of Edge wheels (total for the shop), and all but one rider is on Zipps now.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
I'm really, really impressed with my 101s. 1500gr, yes...but damn sure don't ride like 1500gr wheels. Far beyond Ksyriums and Fulcrums.