Quantcast

1st annual Santa Barbara Bike Festival, June 11th

Bacardi

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
Santa Barbara, CA
2b. Guess these guys need all week to practice....

3. Small double

4. Turns Blocked with Rocks and brush. Don't cut the corners! (bike placed in for scale)

Bacardi

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
Santa Barbara, CA
7. Flatish / uphill pedal section (3 or so of them)

8. Near the finish - white splotches supposed to detail size of jumps. and note my sucky finish graphic.

Bacardi

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
Santa Barbara, CA
If anyone wants full size pics I can email them out (PM me your Email). I'm running out of space for pics for posting.

Hereis the actual course marking for DH / XC. found it on www.santabarbarabikefest.com:

XC course Pics

1. Top of the hill. I don't know the exact course, but this will give you an Idea of what it looks like (nice day!)

2. Start of XC Descent

3. 1st switch back

4. Bermed turns - See why I thought this might have been the DH ?!!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
They added a TON of length to the XC loop, that whole part on the west side through the sagebrush is new. That makes the XC loop A LOT longer. Does anyone know how many laps the XC race is (Sport or Expert class)? It might be fun to get my ass handed to me on the Enduro. :D

Bacardi

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
Santa Barbara, CA
Cmon dood. Its all on the website (http://www.santabarbarabikefest.com/ then click on "Event Blog") Though, I agree, it is not entirely intuitive...

--------------------------

But here it is:
Sunday, June 05, 2005

Race Update
The race committee has decided to change the race lengths of the
Beginner and sport classes, based on a recent ride time test.

Beginner - 2 laps 9 miles (average race time about 1 hour)
Sport - 3 laps 13.5 miles (average race time about 1hr 20min)
Exp/pro - 5 laps 22.5 miles (average race time about 2 hours)

Thanks for racing
Dave Phreaner

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Sport XC sounds good. I would consider Expert but I think I'd have to buy a full season Norba license and I don't want to do that. Plus having my only bike be a ~35lb 6"er isn't helping my cause. :D

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
Looks like I will be going and shooting photos, My website is www.mtbphoto.com and if i go which at this point it looks like I will the photos will be posted there! Also go to my website for fontana race photos (DH only) I hope this will be a fun event!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Wow, cool to see people coming from as far south as SD area. :) It should be a good time. This event is a first so don't expect a huge hoorah but it should have a good number of people and be a blast overall.

As a side note, if any of you are into old Schwinns the swap meet should be awesome the guy sponsoring it is a Schwinn guru and I'm betting a lot of the people there with booths will be vintage cruiser and BMX related. So bring some extra $$$ incase you see that rare piece you need to own.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
punkassean said:
Sport XC sounds good. I would consider Expert but I think I'd have to buy a full season Norba license and I don't want to do that. Plus having my only bike be a ~35lb 6"er isn't helping my cause. :D
Pfft, wuss.

I figure if I can race that DH trail on a rigid then you can ride the XC on 6" of travel. I thought those specialized bikes were supposed to be all efficient and stuff. :D

I'm sorry that I'll be missing out, but I am happy to see some people have been expanding on the trail(I was one of the original cutters and diggers on the trail a few years back). It is tons of fun. If you really want a good time do a no-light-night ride. Makes it a bit more techy, but if there is good moonlight it is entirely possible to do. I know I used to drive over and do laps at like 11pm or midnight when I was bored and there was a near full moon.

Damn I miss SB.

The Ito

sleepinggiant

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
San Jose, CA
How late do you guys think you'll be riding on friday? I should be coming home from SLO on friday afternoon and hope to get a few runs in before it gets dark.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
not sure, playing it by ear as I am also moving in to a new place that weekend so I'll be busy. Hopefully until dark though...

ito- it's all about moonlight Elings rides, because riding there at night is illegal. Since the XC loop goes right by that one assholes house who loves to complain it's best not to be out there at night w/a light. :thumb:

ito

Oct 3, 2003
punkassean said:
ito- it's all about moonlight Elings rides, because riding there at night is illegal. Since the XC loop goes right by that one assholes house who loves to complain it's best not to be out there at night w/a light. :thumb:
Ya, it is actually best to skip that little bit of the trail as I have seen him checking the trail at night. The "chain slap" of the bikes annoys him, strange no chain slap on my SS :sneaky:.

Have a fun weekend of riding guys. I'm packing up my room and moving today. Heading over to an apartment for the summer. Still have a paper and a have to finish up....fock!

The Ito

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Can this trail be shuttled? Or do you have to hike-a-bike? I'm thinking about making the drive there on Friday with some friends, but not sure if we should take more than one truck...

ito

Oct 3, 2003
blt2ride said:
Can this trail be shuttled? Or do you have to hike-a-bike? I'm thinking about making the drive there on Friday with some friends, but not sure if we should take more than one truck...
Elevation gain and loss is MAYBE 600 feet. You can walk your bike up it if you are a big wuss. I've ridden a freaking stab primo to the top of the course. It will probably take longer to shuttle than it will to just ride back to the top. Throw on a 36t front and just pedal back up.

The Ito

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
ito said:
Elevation gain and loss is MAYBE 600 feet. You can walk your bike up it if you are a big wuss. I've ridden a freaking stab primo to the top of the course. It will probably take longer to shuttle than it will to just ride back to the top. Throw on a 36t front and just pedal back up.

The Ito
I guess I'm just a big wuss...because I don't ride uphill. Is there anyone else who can answer my question? Can it be shuttled?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
blt2ride said:
Thanks! How are they going to do it on race day?
I'm not sure. If you have to push, its not that big of a deal. Leave the full DH at home, you won't need it.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
i jst rode it yesterday...hard tail or sub 5inch bike is best...its not worth riding on a full dh bike

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
wydopen said:
i jst rode it yesterday...hard tail or sub 5inch bike is best...its not worth riding on a full dh bike
That's good to know. In addition to my DH bike, I have a mid-travel dirt jump bike, which sounds like my best choice...

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Aside from the the timing issues what was so bad to constitute a disaster? The schedule got delayed a little because the turnout was much larger than expected (~100+) but otherwise it went off alright. It seemed like most had a good time. The raffle prizes were pretty good too.... :confused:

Everybody warned you that the course didn't warrant a DH bike and was fairly non-technical so I can't imagine that was the "disasterous" issue. :confused:

Anyway it was cool meeting you and your bro's.

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
Today was pretty fun, except the drive home! we got stuck in traffic. I will hopefully have the race photos up tomorrow later. Ya the raffle was good! too bad they were 1/2 way through it when we get there. Overall it was pretty good, it needed to be a little more organized though.

clysdale

Chimp
Nov 18, 2002
A Sinister view...

Let me just start by thanking everyone who showed up... I never expected that kind of turnout and that support will make it easy for them to do more events in the future. Hopefully they will be better thought out, and planned then the issue laden event this weekend.

Timing is always an issue at start up events and they will no doubt fix that next year that's just how it works but you need to be patient as they work them out. Everyone cries that there are not more events and are quick to complain rather than help out.

Hopefully next year, more water, shade, a separate event style setup for the entire DH side of the hill as we REALLY needed a beer vendor!

Huge props to punkassean for giving his entire day to help when he came to race.

All in all it was a typical first time venue event.....they will no doubt learn from there mistakes and try to improve it next year. As someone who's new to the area, any bike event is a good event.

-clys

Jun 12, 2005
you know the only gripe i had was that DQ, but it got thrown out any how. i thought that the course was a little misrepresented as a DH course, but fun none the less. what ever problems there were with the time could have been prevented, but your allways going to have problems with the first annual of any thing.

what i didnt like was the 19-99 (exageration) age group. and with the lack of semipro, or pro classes we had sport times competitive with pro times. no one knew where to fit in. there was a father and son racing agaisnt eachother. and two brothers racing eachother in beginer where one had 7 years riding, and the other had 4 months.

what i would like to see is a point system similar to BMX, where you have to move up with so many podiums. no sand bagging, and the classes stay fair.

the staff and volunteers were awsome. even the problems i had were put behind me, and hands were shook.

im not one to complain, but somethings were left lacking.

<<punkassean>>
any time you want to come to the SF valley, let me or blt2ride know.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
punkassean said:
Aside from the the timing issues what was so bad to constitute a disaster? The schedule got delayed a little because the turnout was much larger than expected (~100+) but otherwise it went off alright. It seemed like most had a good time. The raffle prizes were pretty good too.... :confused:

Everybody warned you that the course didn't warrant a DH bike and was fairly non-technical so I can't imagine that was the "disasterous" issue. :confused:

Anyway it was cool meeting you and your bro's.
I really did have a great time. I was pretty upset last night, because we never really found out what happened to the times. Needless to say, I was really disappointed, since we didn't know how we placed. In addition, it took like two-and-a-half hours to get home...

Other than that, it was a great time! I always have fun with my bros and I like to ride with new people! Thanks to everyone!

sod8

Chimp
Dec 10, 2001
Santa Barbara, CA
blt2ride said:
In addition, it took like two-and-a-half hours to get home...
Probably not the best idea to hold it during graduation weekend for UCSB if they want out of towners.

Wish I could have gone, but the whole grad thing wasn't too bad. I am done! Hopefully next year.