Quantcast

1x9 first race report

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Dug it... mostly.

Had some pretty steep and long, bumpy climbs where I couldn't get a comfortable spin going due to needing a slightly lower gear. Was better just to attempt a high cadence out of the saddle effort.

Anyway, so for 90% of the race it was ideal... lowest gear needed to be 35-36 instead of 34. It would probably be absolutely perfect for a 26" bike, but 29ers require slightly lower gearing.

Im going to keep using it and doing climbing intervals with it... maybe I'll get use to it. After a month of that I'll likely be climbing faster.

BTW... osage hills = Great technical riding, with fast swoopy singletrack inbetween techy sections. Got 6th again :rolleyes:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
I don't know what the big deal is, I've only ever raced a 1x9.

What are these climbs you speak of? :D
Again, on a 26 bike the 32 paired with an 11-34 would probably be perfect.

On teh 29er... Short explosive climbs were fine... it was the longer/steeper climbs with rocky terrain that I needed a lower gear for... a 36 would have been perfect for spinning up those and still having legs to immediately accelerate at the top.

That was the problem... I was having to reach too deep and my acceleration out of those climbs was sluggish at best.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I have 1 in the garage... 44t would never get used... 22t would get used very rarely if at all Plus I think I really like the simplicity of 1 shifter/1 derailer.
Go faster. I run a 32-44 with an 11-32 cassette on my XC race bike. 44t gets used plenty.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
<<<<-------jimmydean's comment

golgi's head
i run 32 with an 11-34 on my xc/trail bike. and 99% of the time I find myself perfectly happy with my gearing.

And during that other 1% that I'm not happy with it, its generally because I'm too busy cursing myself for being so out of shape that I find myself wanting a lower gear.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
i run 32 with an 11-34 on my xc/trail bike. and 99% of the time I find myself perfectly happy with my gearing.

And during that other 1% that I'm not happy with it, its generally because I'm too busy cursing myself for being so out of shape that I find myself wanting a lower gear.
You do realize jd was talking about racing DH, yeah?

I run the same on my trail bike, 'cept with a 32t cassette.

And for grins, 37t with a 11-25 cassette on my DH bike.

And 32-16 on my SS.

And 39-53 with an 11-25 cassette on my road bike.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Go faster. I run a 32-44 with an 11-32 cassette on my XC race bike. 44t gets used plenty.
Not around here it woudn't. Your race courses must have much faster sections than ours... most of the races I have attended this year have been very technical... either heavy on the rocks and the short to medium climbs or heavy on the twisty sections... of all of the above.

Last edited:

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
Not around here it woudn't. Your race courses must have much faster sections than ours... most of the races I have attended this year have been very technical... either heavy on the rocks and the short to medium climbs or heavy on the twisty sections... of all of the above.
You live in the magical land of steep climbs with no descents or horizontal ground?

I dont think its the terrain thats making them faster :weee:

Last edited:

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I've been running 1x9 on my 29er for over a year now and haven't found one climb where I needed an extra gear. My first couple weeks on the setup I wished I did but when my fitness improved the gearing was perfect. My winning combo was 33t with 11-34. My next XC bike is full carbon and will be about 3lbs lighter so I think I'll go to 32t x 11-32. All I know is I'm never going back to front derailleurs.