Quantcast

2.5 months in the alaskan wilderness (56k beware)

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
so this summer i did a nols semester up in alaska and was up there from june 10th until august 23rd playing around in the wilderness and earning college credit. :D

the first section of the course was backpacking in the healy area of the alaska range, followed by mountaineering on the matanuska and powell glaciers in the chugach, and finally by sea kayaking in the prince william sound. it was by far one of the most amazing experiences of my life. i highly recommend visiting alaska and spending time in the wilderness, it is one of the most beautiful places i have ever been.

i'm in the process of writing up a more detailed account of the trip on my blog. check it out at www.justsaynotocubicles.blogspot.com.

here's a handful of pictures from the trip. the rest can be found here.

the nols alaska branch, otherwise known as the farm.

the first of a couple passes that we would hike over throughout the backpacking section.

along the wood river

as you can see, the scenery sucked.

caribou!

woke up one morning to this...

it's kind of hard to see, but there are a couple faint brown blobs just left of center. those blobs would be a grizzly with her 2 cubs. they were about 200 yards away from our camp.

we saw a ton of ground squirrels. curious little guys.

looking down the yanert fork toward the highway, which was around 30 miles away.

we busted out the stove and decided to take a tea break at 6400 feet.

now onto mountaineering. our first night on the matanuska.

don't fall in.

best toilet view, ever.

looking toward our destination, turtle flats.

first night camping on snow.

heading up through the icefall to get to turtle flats. we ended up going through the icefall twice.

just chilling next to a big crack on the way up the icefall...

the view from turtle flats.

our base camp for almost a week.

the clouds were a sign of what was to come...

one of the other rope teams coming up the other side of turtle peak.

i was stoked to have successfully led my rope team up turtle peak. it ended up being like a low angle ice climb with crevasses, except i had just one ice ax and no crampons.

and so the storm began to roll in...

navigating icefalls riddled with crevasses in a whiteout is supposed to be fun, right?

it was nice to get back to living things, instead of just ice, snow, and rock.

and finally, sea kayaking. a beautiful day on the sound.

this seal was checking us out for a while.

paddling near the chenega glacier.

a couple humpback whales.

i caught a fish!

this is what happens when the sun comes out after a week of pissing rain. it was nice to have dry stuff again.

i wouldn't trade the experience i had this summer for anything.

Last edited:

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
NOLS... Alaska...

If he did... it was a guy.

NTTAWWT.

:D

Good work skinny-a$$. Looks like a great way to blow the summer. :thumb:
there were a bunch of attractive girls that we saw back at the branch who were doing other courses, but the courses with mountaineering generally don't attract the ladies.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
pretty freakin epic man! You certainly took some excellent photos. What were the longest stints out at a time? Also, whatd you do for food? Did you have drop offs or re supplies? Lastly, how much did it set you back?

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
pretty freakin epic man! You certainly took some excellent photos. What were the longest stints out at a time? Also, whatd you do for food? Did you have drop offs or re supplies? Lastly, how much did it set you back?
we were out backpacking for 22 days, mountaineering for 24, and sea kayaking for 23 with a day back at the farm between sections to get prepared for the next one. we had ration periods with pretty much the same food for each ration, which got extremely old after a while, and in backpacking and mountaineering we were resupplied by bush pilot, whereas in sea kayaking we carried everything in the boats. the semester set me back about $12,000 or so, but i did earn 16 credits so it was actually cheaper than a normal college semester, for me anyways.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
hell yea. What a sick summer. Experiences like that are priceless. I spent the summer in yellowstone back country. Walked over 400 miles and lost 20 pounds. We had pack horses carry our food and gear in, but no re- supplies. Did 8 - 16 mile day hikes from a base camp. I feel you on getting sick of the same food every day.

Damn, sea kayaking for 3 weeks would be wicked.

trailrider1

Monkey
Jun 2, 2009
omg! i love backpacking. but not in the snow like that.....
that reminds me of philmont in new mexico for some reason.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Jebus. Friggin awesome. When I was in college, we took a field trip to a company that makes reflective stickers. :hmm:
My instructors used to come over and do bong hits and drink cheap beer after classes. That helped me graduate at the top of my class, but I would have traded that for a sick trip to Alaska!

Great photos! :thumb:

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
it's kind of funny actually. for the backpacking section we went east of the highway and mccandless's route was pretty much directly west of us on the other side of the road.