Quantcast

2.75 spring on a 2.5 shock...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
fiddy_ryder said:
were you the one that scored the Ti spring from profro?
No. I thought about that tho.

Probably just want to buy a DHX air for the bullit instead of a Ti spring.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
BurlyShirley said:
...what are the ill effects here, cause that's what Im runnning:rofl:

Youll have no troubles at all with that, the 2.5 is the stroke of the shock and teh 2.75 is Max compression of the spring. You actually ens up with a little more preloadability. but its a Nominal amount. The spring will seem like its long for the shock though. Wont hurt a thing

dft

Chimp
Apr 27, 2004
don't you need an overlap? can you run a 2.5 spring on a 2.5 stroke?
i am running a 2.8 spring on a 2.5 stroke. 2.5 spring would be lighter if it works.

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
BurlyShirley said:
No. I thought about that tho.

Probably just want to buy a DHX air for the bullit instead of a Ti spring.

man i wanted that spring.. $100 for Ti is a steal. even if it was a bit long for it.

dft said:
i am running a 2.8 spring on a 2.5 stroke. 2.5 spring would be lighter if it works.

fox right? i read somewhere that the fox numbers are a bit off. the 2.8 is the amount the spring can compress before the coils start to bind or touch under compression. So the 2.8 springs are actually for the 2.5 strokes. im running 2.8 spring on my 2.5 shock also. The other mfg's like progressive label their springs the same as teh shock stroke.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
dft said:

Yeah a 2.5 spring on a 2.5 shock is Ideal. Youll be limited on how much you can preload is all so make sure you get the Right Weight spring if your gonna do that. Most springs say no more than 2.5 turns from the point of contact is your using 2.5 with 2.5. That is why most shocks come with a spring that has a longer rating than the shock. Originally my bike had a Vanilla r which is a 2.0 stroke shock and the Spring that it came with was scary long comparing to the shock. Ended up with about 3 turns preload just to fit the adjuster nut on it. i have since replaced the entier shock with an RC

keen

Monkey
Mar 30, 2003
If it's a 5th Element 8.5 x 2.5 and you try to use a 2.75 stroke Progressive steel spring it is a no go, try and pry fit.

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
keen said:
If it's a 5th Element 8.5 x 2.5 and you try to use a 2.75 stroke Progressive steel spring it is a no go, try and pry fit.
I have noticed that Progressive springs are longer than Fox springs for the same stroke size. A Progressive 3.0 spring is a right about the same as a Fox 3.25 spring for example.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
1soulrider said:
I have noticed that Progressive springs are longer than Fox springs for the same stroke size. A Progressive 3.0 spring is a right about the same as a Fox 3.25 spring for example.
it also depens on the rate; Fox springs will vary in this way also. Sometimes a 2.75 (2.8) Fox spring will come on their 2.5 stroke shocks. BUT for higher spring rates, a smaller spring will be needed and the 2.8 spring wont fit anymore.

You need to take it on a fit per fit basis; yes a longer stroke spring may be used, but the free length needs to be taken into account.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
keen said:
Uh...its already on there.

keen

Monkey
Mar 30, 2003
BurlyShirley said:
Uh...its already on there.

When you want to remove the spring be prepared... took two of us in our shop w/ a vise and a pry bar (lightly prying under spring retainer to force it out).

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
I hope there are no problems, I just put on a 400x3.0 spring on my swinger 4-way with 2.75 stroke... I was running 500x2.75 before.