Quantcast

2.75 spring on a 3.0 shock

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
in a recent post i started about a Ti spring o a dhx somebody reccomended getting a 2.8 for it to save even more weight.

does anybody know if a 2.75 will work too. i cant find a cheap 2.8 but i can find a cheap 2.75

sorry if this is a stupid question :bonk:

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
if its an rcs then no, if its a 5th or manitou one then you will most probably be alright. drop tim flooks an email just to be sure.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
in a recent post i started about a Ti spring o a dhx somebody reccomended getting a 2.8 for it to save even more weight.

does anybody know if a 2.75 will work too. i cant find a cheap 2.8 but i can find a cheap 2.75

sorry if this is a stupid question :bonk:
Anything with less stroke rate than the shock will inevitably fail, Period, doesnt matter the shock, the more difference between the shock stroke and and short spring the faster it will fail. Really shouldnt run a 2.8 either, yes youll save some weight, but you are going to wear out the spring Prematurely

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
no no no no no no no no

even if the chock length is ok, you're going to be over twisting the wire. Find some spring calc formula's and work it out

at best you'll save fractions of a pound (take a dump defore you ride).... at worst you'll have a spring fail at the worst possible time and you'll die.

ridea

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
south west of England
ok heres a question, If i need to try spring rates on a bike(with dhx), and i have a 3.0"/275lbs 5th spring and a softer 2.75"/250 manitou spring, will thy both fit/ be ok just to try and find my spring rate, also, as far as i know the 5th spring is longer than a dhx spring, so, will that have an effect on the feel compaired to a dhx spring as ultimately thats probably what I'll get unless there is no weight or proformance difference.

Panadog

Chimp
Aug 29, 2007
ok heres a question, If i need to try spring rates on a bike(with dhx), and i have a 3.0"/275lbs 5th spring and a softer 2.75"/250 manitou spring, will thy both fit/ be ok just to try and find my spring rate, also, as far as i know the 5th spring is longer than a dhx spring, so, will that have an effect on the feel compaired to a dhx spring as ultimately thats probably what I'll get unless there is no weight or proformance difference.
Spring length does not affect spring rate. So any 250 lb/in spring within its normal range should feel like any other 250lb/in. The only issue you may run into is that the shorter spring will be so short it will not engage the preload collar on the shock. Then the spring will be just flopping around on your shock with no preload. Provided this is not the case, it should be OK to find your rate (provided you mean ride it around the yard and off a couple curbs then take it off) - but every time you compress that 2.75 more than 2.75 the spring is being irreversibly damaged.

ridea

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
south west of England
i herd that the sag would be effected although it shouldnt make a difference because it takes 250lbs to compress the spring 1 inch so it shouldnt make a difference. quarter of an inch shorter would be ok for a few light runs though surely.

Panadog

Chimp
Aug 29, 2007
The sag wont be affected if you can gain the correct preload on the spring. The thing is the lengh of travel is different than the overall length. The progressive springs are pretty long comparively. your 3" travel spring may be an inch longer overall than your 2.75" travel spring. So there is a chance you wont be able to screw down that little preload ring enough to gain any or the correct preload. If you cant get the correct preload the sag will be affected.

ridea

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
south west of England
indeed, i was atualy more asking if you guys know if it will fit, theres a fair amount of room on a dhx as far as i know so i think a 5th might fit but i dont know withought a dhx in front of me

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Spring rate isnt affected by spring length, but a 250lb spring thats a 2.75 stroke feels and works differently that a 250 spring with a 3in stroke, so other than checking your sag, your not really going to be able to get a good feel for the spring rate. I do belive taht the Fifth diameter is the same for a Dhx, but dont hold me to it i dont have them in front of me to verify.

Reason you wont get the right feel, the spring rate is only listed and tested for teh rated stroke length, your spring rate decreases rapidlt once you pass its rated stroke length. thats not just for Mtn bikes, thats for all springs