Quantcast

2 bucket list rides for my 50th.....

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
So next year marks my 1/2-century on this planet. I have many, many rides I would like to or want to do. Though most of them are dirt related (go figure), 2 involve road riding, and I'd like a little feedback, if you'd be so kind.......

1-- 60-miler from the AZ/Mexico border to Rocky Point, Mexico. I've mentioned this town several times, and now that the main highway is much wider, and I feel safer, I've always wanted to do this ride. Yes, I'd have a sag van behind me for "protection" from other drivers, so I'm good there. I'd want to do it in March when I go down for my parents' 39th anniversary. Oh, the amount of tacos I'd eat when finished.

2-- 120-miler from home in Gardnerville, NV, to Mammoth Lakes, CA. I wouldn't have the support van, so I'd take a water filter for safe hydration. Would start early (about 6 a.m.) so I'd be in Mammoth by early dinner. I'd convince the wife to meet me there and stay the night, soaking in the Inn's hot tubs. I'm a bit concerned about Hwy395 in some spots, though I feel I'd be "visible" enough to have some safety being seen.

My question is........ Am I completely nuts for attempting either of these rides? If you've driven 395, what would be your concerns cycling it? Again, I'm not worried about the Mexico ride, since I'd have support. Going solo to Mammoth, well, that would be fun.

I await your input........

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Have driven the 395 alot...nice road for driving. Bikes should be good too. STAY VISIBLE and focused. The scenery can be a distraction to all.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
No mtb rides, no care.

Well, if you must know......

I'll be sitting out Sea Otter 2013 (van hiccup still has me spooked, though it has been addressed and fixed)...

Downieville XC (to see if I can improve on my time and break 4-hours)...

Northstar Thursday Night Series (a must-do staple for me)...

Leadville qualifier at Northstar (had fun the first time, gotta do it again)...

Rumor has it that Northstar may host a 12- or 24-hour event, and if they do, I'm there (it was Granny Gear's 24hours of Tahoe that got me started with the whole cycling thing for Alaina to begin with)...

What say you now, CJSP???

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
I say stop worrying about lame little road rides and do more mtb stuff. :)

Wow, tough audience. Guess I'll have to try to put Sea Otter back on the list. Maybe an event in AZ to do with my brother. Maybe even promote my own event again like I did for Make-A-Wish and held in Virginia City, NV, for 4 years and by our schools in Gardnerville one year. Yeah, maybe that's what I should do again, promote an event.......

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Wow, tough audience. Guess I'll have to try to put Sea Otter back on the list. Maybe an event in AZ to do with my brother. Maybe even promote my own event again like I did for Make-A-Wish and held in Virginia City, NV, for 4 years and by our schools in Gardnerville one year. Yeah, maybe that's what I should do again, promote an event.......
Have you done the Whole Enchilada? If you haven't... you should do that instead of a road ride.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
sea slaughter is just a marketing event. do something awesome like ride the continental divide.
Maybe so, however, it's the main event I get to see and thank all my sponsors for their support, ya know??

Ride whatever bike you want and quit worrying about the haters, though riding in Mexico seems a bit crazy.
OH, I don't worry about the haters. RM seems to be the group that helps keep me grounded at the times I need them most, second only to Compassionate Friends....

Have you done the Whole Enchilada? If you haven't... you should do that instead of a road ride.
Now this may be one I'll have to look up and consider....