Quantcast

2 Calipers off 1 lever

Bebbster

Chimp
Nov 18, 2001
Oxfordshire, UK
Got two Hayes El Camino caliper that I need to run off of one lever. The El Camino lever doesn't have a big enough piston to power both. Has anyone done something similar before? Anyone know of a lever that will work?

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
The El Camino lever will give you enough power, but you'll have to deal with having twice as long a throw. I THINK that Grimeca System 12 levers have a slightly bigger master cylinder than most, that might be some use.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
cant you somehow rig two levers on one bar and connect them both at the lever blade?

just thinking out lout maybe you could make a new rear handlebar connector plate that connects two levers?

SpasticJack

Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
If i recall correctly, Stacy Kohut has 2 lever/master cylinders per side on his quad in NWD2 or 3. I'm not sure how they are mounted though.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
somewhere along the path between the lever and caliper would need to be a trick easily adjustable proportioning valve.

we have one pedal for for brakes on our car.

this might not be a bad idea.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
dhbuilder said:
somewhere along the path between the lever and caliper would need to be a trick easily adjustable proportioning valve.

i dont see it amounting to anything in mountain biking at all. there are so many steep washed out trails where i ride down with only the front brake on slightly and then i just use the rear brake to get the rear end around.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
gnurider1080 said:
i dont see it amounting to anything in mountain biking at all. there are so many steep washed out trails where i ride down with only the front brake on slightly and then i just use the rear brake to get the rear end around.
i've been around long enough to witness a few one armed riders who ride with a prosthesis and one hand to handle the controls.

like i said, an adjustable proportioning valve.

i'm like you though.
i'll use two levers to control my machine.

Bebbster

Chimp
Nov 18, 2001
Oxfordshire, UK
It's not for any of the reasons mentioned above. It's not even for a bike. As part of a project at work we're building a sopabox racer.

We want to put brakes on all 4 corners, but have the front two calipers on one lever, and the rear two on another lever. The levers are mounted to the back of the steering wheel, and there's not enough space to mount 4 levers. We've previously just been running cable disks just on the front, but they don't have enough power, and at the last race we had the disks glowing red, which doesn't do it much good!

Cheers for all the suggestions so far.

Attachments

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Bebbster said:
It's not for any of the reasons mentioned above. It's not even for a bike. As part of a project at work we're building a sopabox racer.

We want to put brakes on all 4 corners, but have the front two calipers on one lever, and the rear two on another lever. The levers are mounted to the back of the steering wheel, and there's not enough space to mount 4 levers. We've previously just been running cable disks just on the front, but they don't have enough power, and at the last race we had the disks glowing red, which doesn't do it much good!

I was hoping it would be for something sweet like this. Good luck d00dz. :D

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
there was a post a while back about a quad bike, he was running two hope m4s off one mini leaver. i dont think you would get double the leaver throw, you would just get half the clearance between the pads and the disc.
about the quad in nwd5, his leavers were bolted together, so that they move together.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Bebbster said:

Maybe try looking at go-kart brakes. (Racing karts, not the little putt putt carts) Most karts only use on brake at the rear axle. Some of the higher powered karts use front and rear discs. They may bewhat you are looking for. I highly doubt that a soapbox car will go faster or need more braking power than a kart.

Also, if your rotors are glowing red, you'll need more than just a change from cable to hydraulic actuated brakes. You need bigger brakes.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Bebbster said:

wow.
that thing looks wicked !!!

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Bebbster said:
We've previously just been running cable disks just on the front, but they don't have enough power, and at the last race we had the disks glowing red, which doesn't do it much good!
if your discs were glowing bright red, then hydros aren't really going to help much with heat dissipation. maybe going to bigger rotors might help?

and as for running two calipers with one lever, maybe run a single 8" rotor in the center of each axle? just a thought...

pretty cool rig, but I like the wooden box+baby-carriage-wheels better though. :eviltongu

Bebbster

Chimp
Nov 18, 2001
Oxfordshire, UK
dante said:
if your discs were glowing bright red, then hydros aren't really going to help much with heat dissipation. maybe going to bigger rotors might help?

and as for running two calipers with one lever, maybe run a single 8" rotor in the center of each axle? just a thought...

pretty cool rig, but I like the wooden box+baby-carriage-wheels better though. :eviltongu
The brakes were getting so hot because they were so ineffective that you had to pull them on very early, and not the quick blast you'd need with some powerful brakes. Also going to be adding some cooling ducts to the wheel covers.

Can't run one rotor in the centre of the axle because each wheel is independant of each other.

I'd much rather build a simple wooden one, would be much easier! But this is what happens when an F1 team gets involved in soapbox racing!!

We looked at kart brakes, but they're too bulky for what we need.

Cheers.

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
dhbuilder said:

If by "might not be a bad idea" you mean "a horrible idea" then yeah.

Try using your theory to brake on anything off camber. Or when the bike is leaned over. Or in a corner. Or when going down rocky stuff. Or really any possible time it would be a terrible idea, except for maybe hybrid and commuter bikes. Having the inability to choose which brake you want to use would not only be terrifying , but really dangerous.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
grimeca had a one leaver for two brakes system for bikes. obviously wasn't very popular. it just doesn't make sence for mtbs.