Quantcast

2 Points on record and $800 a month for insurance!?!? WTF?!

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
My girlfriend recently got a 2nd point on her record and her insurance got bumped from $150 a month to $800 a month. What the hell is happening here? I have known people with more points and have still paid less than that.

Any suggestions would be VERY helpful. Her car is a loan car so she has to have full coverage.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Shop around for insurance, see if they're all quoting that.

Very minor infractions can cause huge bumps in insurance rates. I have a 10mph over the limit speeding ticket from 2 years ago, without which I would be paying less than half what I'm paying now for insurance. $800/month sounds extreme but I don't know the points system so I don't know if 2 points is significant.

Is she in the under 25 age bracket? High risk car? Both of those will contribute significantly if she's got another ticket. I drove a 4x4 V6 Tacoma for a while when I was 20-22 and my insurance payments were almost $350/mo, with a single, low speed ticket on my record. Ludicrous.

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
Shop around for insurance, see if they're all quoting that.

Very minor infractions can cause huge bumps in insurance rates. I have a 10mph over the limit speeding ticket from 2 years ago, without which I would be paying less than half what I'm paying now for insurance. $800/month sounds extreme but I don't know the points system so I don't know if 2 points is significant.

Is she in the under 25 age bracket? High risk car? Both of those will contribute significantly if she's got another ticket. I drove a 4x4 V6 Tacoma for a while when I was 20-22 and my insurance payments were almost $350/mo, with a single, low speed ticket on my record. Ludicrous.

i am *Fairly sure that the max number of points you can have is 12.

pigboy

in a galaxy far, far away
My girlfriend recently got a 2nd point on her record and her insurance got bumped from $150 a month to $800 a month. What the hell is happening here? I have known people with more points and have still paid less than that.

Any suggestions would be VERY helpful. Her car is a loan car so she has to have full coverage.
1: marry her. both of your rates will go down :bonk:
2: pay off the loan and get minimal coverage :crazy:
3: change insurance carriers and/or negotiate a better rate with her current carrier

note:
the longer you stick with one insurance provider the more discounts they will typically provide. those nervous folks at the insurance agency like people to be stable and boring. if you accidentally let your coverage lapse the company will sometimes bump your rate when you re-subscribe because they think you're a loser if you can't remember to pay your bill on time.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I turned a brand new Lexus into a pile of scrap metal when I was 16, three years ago.

The most my insurance ever cost for straight liability was around 160$ a month. It now costs 85$ a month.

Eh?

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Negligent operator violation point count
Once you are licensed to drive in California it is important that you continue to follow all the laws and practice safe driving habits. If you start accumulating tickets for moving violations, which count as one or two points, you may be considered a negligent operator and may lose your privilege to drive.

Most driving offenses, such as hit and run, reckless driving, and driving under the influence, are designated as 2 points and will remain on your record for seven years from the violation date. Most other offenses are designated as 1 point and will remain on your record for three years from the violation date. Any "at fault" accident is normally counted as one point.

You will be considered a negligent operator if your driving record shows any of the following point count totals:

4 points in 12 months, or
6 points in 24 months, or
8 points in 36 months

Insurance Co's in cal are all over the # of points and age of driver