Quantcast

2 Step for big guy?

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
I am looking into getting a Balfa 2 Step DH, but someone told me that because of the shock ratio, that it wasn't good for big dudes (230 'ish lbs).

Anyone?

Also any other negatives about this frame would be most appreciated.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Jesus said:
I am looking into getting a Balfa 2 Step DH, but someone told me that because of the shock ratio, that it wasn't good for big dudes (230 'ish lbs).

Anyone?

Also any other negatives about this frame would be most appreciated.

Are you looking at a 2004 or 2003? The 2004 is significantly improved from an already solid design. The 2004 can accept a wider range of shocks as well including a 5th.

Improved chainline on it and a significantly higher bottom bracket (the 2003's had pretty low bb heights.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Jesus said:
Don't know if it's an '04 or an '03, i'll check.

It comes with a Fox, but a 5th would be nice...
Let me know if I can help with info Terry. I'm pretty certain that the 2003s can't accept anything but a Fox (maybe an Avy with modifications)- but the 2004 frames were redesigned to accomodate more options (i.e. 5th Element).

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
Jesus said:
But I like 'em small!

Do you know how long the TT is?

I like them to be about 22".
How tall are you and is the bike the long or the normal version? My brother is 6'2" and feels comfortable on his long. I'm 5'11" and it feels pretty good to me as well. The top tube definitely has a shorter feel to it and, just like most Balfas, when you put the seat way down it feels really short because of the slack seat angle.

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
It's the normal version.

I remember the Evil feeling really short. So short I hated it at first. But after a while I not only got used to it, but now I prefer it really short.